PDA

View Full Version : Record clamps ?

Peter Stockwell
26-02-2009, 12:38
On an SL1210, is it worth it? I've seen a rather spiffy one on a German Website :-

http://www.m-puck.de/silentorseite.htm

thanks for your experiences.

Cack Handed
26-02-2009, 19:31
depends, I only find them of use for keeping warped records flat.

Marco
26-02-2009, 19:43
They can work pretty well, Peter, but experience tells me some are definitely better than others. How much is the one on the German website? I'd hesitate to drop a large wedge on it first without knowing if its effect will be beneficial to your system.

Dave sells some nice Clearaudio ones :)

Marco.

Sgt.Pepper
26-02-2009, 23:35
I have a Project record weight that I use on a Spacedeck,it weighs in at 750g,it works a treat on the Spacedeck but I get mixed results on the 1210,it does its job,flattening records but I think it is too heavy for the 1210,taking a bit of life out of the music.I still want a weight for my 1210 as some records aren't too happy sitting on the Achromat,they feel a bit slippy in-situ,so if this weight isn't too heavy I'd say go for it,if nothing else it looks trick .

Tony G
27-02-2009, 07:29
I got one of these (http://cgi.ebay.com/Bren1-Record-Stabilizer-Improve-the-sound-10-day-only_W0QQitemZ280316623281QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_De faultDomain_0?hash=item280316623281&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50) to use on mine - the dimensions are virtually those recommended by Rudolph Bruil on his soundfountain site.
Price seemed pretty reasonable to me, seller very good and the weight presses records into contact with the achromat and improves its effectiveness as well as giving better grip and drive.
All IMO - YMMV :sofa:

Peter Stockwell
27-02-2009, 08:18
Tony,

Thanks, Just ordered, I'll give this one a try, it's a lot cheaper than others I've been looking at.

Thanks

Tony G
27-02-2009, 22:29
You are welcome, team cheapskate here, be interested to hear what you think, I have also tried the Michell clamp - the alloy one which grips the spindle - I find the weight is more convenient.
That german one you linked certainly looked very geeky and intriguing.

Peter Stockwell
28-02-2009, 04:23
That german one you linked certainly looked very geeky and intriguing.

I'm intrigued by the mat/weight system they advocate, anyway plenty of time for that. If the Gila bend works maybe I'll punt on the German one for the craigh. The Gilabend is on it's way, I also ordered a herbies way II mat in 6.1mm thickness coz I can't get all the VTA range adjustemnt I'd like withthe 3.7mm that Dave at Sound Hifi sells. look out, geekiness ahead:lol:

Pete
28-02-2009, 05:43
Just got the Herbie's Supersonic Record stabilizer.

A nice improvement, took some vibration out of the record, yielding smoother cleaner highs.

Peter Stockwell
09-03-2009, 11:41
Gila bend record weight arrived, and it's now plonked on the record, it adds a worthwhile smidgen of damping. The background "noise"" for want of a better word is reduced. I've also replaced the 3.7mm Audiphile mat from Soundhifi witha 6.1mm Herbies mat, this to allow more VTA adjustement when using the SME tonearm.

MartinT
09-03-2009, 23:25
Tony - I've got a real Bruil weight (manufactured by him). I find it gives bass some added weight and reduces surface noise. Weight is 380g so not too heavy for the bearing or motor.

Tony G
10-03-2009, 01:08
Hi Martin,
the one I linked I chose not only for price (when the $AU was 97c US) but also because the dimensions were within Rudolphs recommendations, particularly in respect to mass, which is 13oz (368gm).
In conjunction with the Achromat I have found it to improve the resonance transmission properties of that mat (at least I assume that is what is happening) in that it improves clarity and separation, increases the "air", blackens the background and improves transient response and bass without sounding "bright" which I found acrylic mats to do, or dulled and leaden which I found rubber mats to do, rubber was very good for drive and transient attack and bass but sounded dulled, "rubbery" and slightly clouded at higher frequencies. I found the weight better than the michell clamp in that it is not necessary to push down to ensure full contact (possibly stressing the bearing) but is sufficient to give a good contact between the record and the achromat and press the thin (3mm) achromat (chosen for increased flexibility) onto the silicone and overcome (I imagine) the slight concavity of the Technics platter.
Reduction of surface noise is also a feature of the combination. (and perhaps also of fast wideband phono stage response)
It is always good when a tweak gives an audible improvement, n'est ce pas?
TG

Peter Stockwell
10-03-2009, 07:31
I found the weight better than the michell clamp in that it is not necessary to push down to ensure full contact (possibly stressing the bearing) but is sufficient to give a good contact between the record and the achromat and press the thin (3mm) achromat (chosen for increased flexibility) onto the silicone and overcome (I imagine) the slight concavity of the Technics platter.
Reduction of surface noise is also a feature of the combination. (and perhaps also of fast wideband phono stage response)
It is always good when a tweak gives an audible improvement, n'est ce pas?
TG

Tony,

I concur with what you say, in fact I couldn't say it better. Although I do find the impovements subtle.

NSW ? My bro' just moved to that neck of the woods, says he's had more rain in a month than in several years where he was previously.

MartinT
10-03-2009, 08:08
I found the weight better than the michell clamp in that it is not necessary to push down to ensure full contact (possibly stressing the bearing) but is sufficient to give a good contact between the record and the achromat and press the thin (3mm) achromat (chosen for increased flexibility) onto the silicone and overcome (I imagine) the slight concavity of the Technics platter

I'm finding the same thing with the Sound Hi-Fi Audiophile mat, the weight does a nice job without over-compressing the mat and I don't think it hurts the bearing as long as I don't thump it down.

Tony G
10-03-2009, 11:15
Tony,

~ snip ~

NSW ? My bro' just moved to that neck of the woods, says he's had more rain in a month than in several years where he was previously.

Peter,
some parts have had a deal of rain, it is a fairly sizeable piece of ground - I am a good 8 hours drive from any of the borders but the wet one ;) - more than sufficient space to allow significant variation in local climatic conditions, your brothers experience does not surprise me - I think our main catchment/dam is still well below capacity from the recent prolonged drought.