PDA

View Full Version : Bushmaster Venom upgrade - deadly with a vengeance

Mr.Ian
01-11-2012, 21:23
The bushmaster is back and the pre amp is sitting there dejected and redundant - well almost ..............:eek:

after casually asking Stan if there were any upgrades available for the Bushmaster DAC and if there was anyway the output level could be reduced, my pre has a channel imbalance at low levels and a lower output from the DAC would alleviate the problem, Stan suggested the Venom upgrade and a variable output so the Bushmaster DAC could be used as a digital pre direct to my power amps.

Well I was expecting much and to be honest other than the lower output it didn't sound that much different - easy how one forgets things after a week, any way job done I had the lower output and was dandy.

Then I did something very very silly - yes I tried the Bushmaster direct to the power amp .......:stalks: the change was not small a huge layer of grain and distortion had gone and I was hearing a smoothness like never before.

I but the pre back in system and tried again and again - yes the pre was clearly adding something it shouldn't. Now this wouldn't be much to shout about if I hadn't have been playing about with tube and passive pre amps and ( mines SS) to cure this very issue BUT everything to date has sounded so opaque that its seldom stayed in situ for more than a few tracks - my solid state pre has beaten all comers so far

But hear a simple budget DAC coupled with some expensive caps and a variable output was showing it a clean and I mean clean pair of heels.

and thats the problem too..............

Mr.Ian
01-11-2012, 21:33
Yes its a problem a big problem, I really cant go back to the pre amp now and my AV and Phono Stage both need to be routed to my power amps.

There's only one thing for it Stan is going to have to build me that pre amp he has been talking of - trouble is he doesn't seem to be jumping at the chance so I guess its going to take some keen interest to get him to change his mind.

I have been chewing over what might be possible without too much burden on Stan and development costs. I reckon that he could use the Bushmaster case as base and keep it simple so

Inputs - as many as he can fit on the rear panel
AV bypass on one input - to allow easy integration with AV systems
Volume Control
Input Selector
Balance Control - I miss them so much

The battery type power supply coupled with the output stage from the Bushmaster and the Venom cap upgrade and I think it would be a winner.

i can think of a hold lot more of things I would like but I reckon this would be a killer amp one with real bite or should that be Venom

any way do me a favour and pester Stan via this thread - maybe just maybe he will make me the pre amp I need so much

StanleyB
01-11-2012, 21:43
Yes its a problem a big problem, I really cant go back to the pre amp now and my AV and Phono Stage both need to be routed to my power amps.
In next week's episode of "The Bushmaster Strikes back": how to connect your turntable to the Bushmaster. Stay tuned to this channel boys and girls :D.

Mr.Ian
01-11-2012, 21:47
PS I forgot to say:

The variable output mod meant I lost the volume control on the headphones, i haven't tried if I get any signal on headphones - never use them myself so it was a very small loss compared with the gains in quality going direct to the pre gave

Also Stan made it very clear to be that the upgrade was only available to people who had had the Bushmaster for some while, ie its not available on initial purchase.

seoirse2002
01-11-2012, 21:48
Cant wait:)

Mr.Ian
01-11-2012, 21:50
maybe Stan has an ADC in the wings too

StanleyB
01-11-2012, 21:53
maybe Stan has an ADC in the wings too
There are numerous cheap ADC units on eBy etc. that can be used. It makes no sense to build a small item like that at several times the price.

StanleyB
01-11-2012, 21:55
PS I forgot to say:

The variable output mod meant I lost the volume control on the headphones, i haven't tried if I get any signal on headphones - never use them myself so it was a very small loss compared with the gains in quality going direct to the pre gave
The headphone amp should still work.

icehockeyboy
04-12-2012, 08:45
What exactly is the Venom upgrade?

Does it only affect the headphone side of things......?

StanleyB
04-12-2012, 16:45
It can be done on the whole unit oir just on the PSU section or just on the headphone section. But I am running out of parts for the PSU section. And I prefer that skilled people do it themselves. My hands are full with other work.
Maybe we can ask Tirna Electronics to start doing the mod?

Ammonite Audio
05-12-2012, 07:34
My Bushmaster has been upgraded by Stan with the Venom HP mod and has been running in for a week or so. Direct comparisons with the standard BM can't be made, of course, but I'm very pleased with the lovely natural, unforced sound that it is now producing (through headphones). I tend to use as my reference a very fine EMI ripped CD of Leif Ove Andsnes playing Grieg Lyric Pieces - it must have been recorded in a place with a fine acoustic, and now that sense of space and the relationship between left and right hands, has fallen into place. Interestingly, the mod seems to have brought out the best in my elderly Grado SR60 'phones which were previously (and unexpectedly) pipped by some Bose AE2 'phones. Now the pecking order is reversed and I'm going to replace the SR60 cable with some Cardas stuff to help them along further.

I've held back on posting observations on the Venom mod so far because the run-in process has seen the BM sounding sublime one day, then awful the next, then brilliant again. I don't know how long it's going to take to run in completely, but I don't doubt that it will be worth the wait.

Oh, and Stan's service is brilliant.

Covenant
05-12-2012, 08:43
Oh, and Stan's service is brilliant.

Hmmmm hurry up please Stan!

Biagio De Simone
12-01-2013, 00:16
Hello Stan, I am very happy to hear from you, I would like to understand what is the update venom, it seems very interesting.:)

Xaval
28-02-2013, 16:35
Hi, I'd also be interested to know exactly what it is as I just bought one used and would like to be sure.

seoirse2002
28-02-2013, 17:30
In next week's episode of "The Bushmaster Strikes back": how to connect your turntable to the Bushmaster. Stay tuned to this channel boys and girls :D.

Still waiting and holding off buying a phono stage:)

sabrehagen
06-03-2013, 21:11
I'm in for the "what exactly is the venom upgrade and what changes should I expect" question. I'd be very interested in purchasing it.