PDA

View Full Version : New 1210 mk2 owner

Spectrum
31-10-2012, 23:16
Hi everyone. Just come out of the dark ages and got a excellent condition 1210 mk2.
Getting together bits that originally would have been in the box ( polystyrene,plastic and cardboard excluded). Last tt was a Dual cs 505-2 ( no comparison with the 1210 ) which i am selling as i don`t have the space to keep for sentimental reasons. Fitted my ortofon om cart and stylus 10 done all the adjustments and wow what a sound. Came with a concorde pro s, tried that and sound was louder than my stylus 10 on same cart ....any ideas why?:)

Oh Yea system: Technics 1210 mk 2( standard no mods ) ortofon om 10 with standard headshell and a concorde Pro s that i swap the stylus 10 onto until i get some info and see which one to keep. Other system items are marantz cd deck, sony cassette deck, pioneer 1020 receiver, panasonic bd player, project phono box , monitor audio bronze speaker system.

Tarzan
01-11-2012, 06:12
Welcome aboard Paul and glad you like the Techie.... it is a long slippery slope now:)

AlfaGTV
01-11-2012, 07:05
Can imagine that your Concorde Pro stylus have a more powerful magnetic engine in the stylus section, it is also designed for a lot higher vertical tracking force? That could explain the higher output...

Regards Mike

Spectrum
02-11-2012, 05:20
Thanks for the replies, guessed that might be case though balanced the tonearm as instructions set the vta when needle on record until tonearm is parallel then set counterbalance to required amount for the stylus. Pro s stylus state 3-5 grams but as i have swapped the stylus to a 10 is it safe to say set to 1.75 grams?:scratch:

AlfaGTV
03-11-2012, 21:29
I would say you are spot on with your estimations! :)
I actually have a Concorde Pro which states ome 4Gr if im not mistaken?
I also have an OM-20 which should be similar to your stylus and that demands some 1.5-1.8gr i believe.

The difference in output should be clearly audible, but not wreaking havoc on your phon stage though.

Regards /Mike

Spectrum
04-11-2012, 01:19
Thanks for the replies guys, maybe get a new cart to play my old 60`s 70`s and 80`s vinyl. Think oldest is a 1960 album in mint then go through whole moody blues equally same condition, Pink Floyd ( surprising due to the kids mucky paws) and progress through the decades some have odd surface minute scratch ( absolutely nothing to do with any djing just cos its a techie) but need a brand new cart as only got the recycled carts that were salvaged ( working ) from old Ariston Q decks that died due to the change of polarity on the psu plug in supply that was sent to me as a replacement for original.........Anyway that was then and this now............been looking at a at120e, any thoughts on if this would be a better option that staying with Ortofons.

Got standard 1210 mk2 with no mods and all origal gear, rubber mat, overhang gauge, aux weight..etc, etc, etc

Audio Al
04-11-2012, 02:31
Hi Paul

I have a at120e on my standard 1200 MK11 arm and I have a hum !

When the arm is on the rest its quiet when I move the arm over the record it starts to hum , the further in towards the center post I go the louder the hum

The earth is fine

One day cash permitting I am going to try a different make of cartridge

chris@panteg
04-11-2012, 07:51
Hi Paul

I have a at120e on my standard 1200 MK11 arm and I have a hum !

When the arm is on the rest its quiet when I move the arm over the record it starts to hum , the further in towards the center post I go the louder the hum

The earth is fine

One day cash permitting I am going to try a different make of cartridge

I had exactly the same problem when I 1st got my 1210 with a 120e ? I changed to denon DL160 and the hum all but disappeard , moving the psu to an external case might help ?

Audio Al
04-11-2012, 08:41
I had exactly the same problem when I 1st got my 1210 with a 120e ? I changed to denon DL160 and the hum all but disappeard , moving the psu to an external case might help ?

OK Chris , may try that as well , Did you take the original PSU out of the deck and putit in a case or buy a different PSU ?

chris@panteg
04-11-2012, 09:16
OK Chris , may try that as well , Did you take the original PSU out of the deck and putit in a case or buy a different PSU ?

Well I bought a Timestep psu , and removed the onboard psu but have since changed to a vantage audio psu , but removing the OEM psu and placing in an external case (safely) is an excellent upgrade and cheap ! Ask stratmangler how he got on with his .

Stratmangler
04-11-2012, 10:00
Ask stratmangler how he got on with his .

Definitely worth doing, and pretty straightforward too.

Welcome to the forum Paul.