PDA

View Full Version : For sale - celestion 15xr - very heavily modified

Wakefield Turntables
31-10-2012, 22:39
I'm selling these to find some new speakers i'm after. I've owned these now for
two years. They have been completely modified but sound excellent. I use them with my Radford valve set-up. I think I've put about 30 hours into modifying and quite a fair old bit on rebuilding the cross over and re-wiring. I'm looking for £175. I'm also open to offers :eyebrows: I'm offering a demonstration to anyone that would care to like one. I will be posting pics tomorrow. But I have included a list of mods.

Celestion 15XR Modification List
--------------------------------

1. Replaced speaker binding posts with silver plated alternatives, which take Banana's, spades or bare wire.
2. Internally rewired everything with teflon coated pure silver (4N quality)
3. Rebuilt the X over with new caps, left the inductor alone, it's actually very good quality!
4. Internally dampened speaker with 6mm sorbothane attached to all interinsic speaker walls
5. Removed the X-over's plastic edge connector. All speakers now wired onto the PCB rather than using the edge connector
6. Made bespoke 1mm speaker mounts which replaced the flimsy foam efforts that celestion used.
7. Mounted the x over on a sorbothane bed to minimise vibrations getting to the x-over
8. All soldering utilised 11% pure silver solder
9. Added additional internal foam to dampen speaker down further.

thanks

Andrew

Wakefield Turntables
31-10-2012, 22:48
just a few pics showing some of the mods. As you can see the flimsy old cross over has been completely removed. The driver units have bespoke speaker cushions now rather than the flimsy efforts ditton utilised. I have included another picture of the bindings posts. The speakers are in excellent condition. Any questions or offers please send a PM.

The Black Adder
01-11-2012, 08:31
A bloody bargain.. Lovely speakers!

Wakefield Turntables
01-11-2012, 09:10
Thanks joe, I have more photos to come, tonight with a little luck.

Wakefield Turntables
27-01-2013, 18:56
I forgot about this thread. I have included some new pics of the mods added to these speakers. The rebuilt x-o mounted on sorbothane. New binding posts mounted on sorobthane. The re-wire in teflon coated silver. Old foam speaker cushions removed and replaced with sorbothane. The price has been dropped to £150. I can even offer a home demo if anyone is interested.

for some reason AOS is not allowing me to upload pics of the modifications. If you are interested send me a PM with your email address and I can post them on!