PDA

View Full Version : My new speakers

Si74
31-10-2012, 22:22
Bit of a challenge here as peeps & common knowledge? says these can't work in my wee room!
Bullshit, anything can be made to work as I've proven in the past.
I've no doubt these would sound way better in a room four times the size
but since that is for the future, these are the best speakers I've ever had in my room (& I've had some generally accepted as very good).
So fed up with trying to integrate the subs, I switched them off for now till
I get my room analyzer back from loan.
The usual, quick dial in by ear, gobsmacked, then had to fool with the settings,
bad move. Between the timbre locks on the amps, the ? on the supertweeters
and all the crap on the subs, paran, what's his name sets in.
Actually wondering if the subs are really necessary. All will be revealed/sorted
tomorrow when two mates come round, hear these and freak!
They've heard nothing like this so it may stretch their 'hifi' sensibilities:)

chelsea
31-10-2012, 22:48
Very nice.

AndrewL
01-11-2012, 08:32
Glad they made it up those steps safe and sound! They look great, bet they sound good too!

Andrew

hoopsontoast
01-11-2012, 09:43
Fostex FE208 Sigma? :bulb:

jason
01-11-2012, 12:39
Those look very nice Simon who cares if you have the room they look sweet....

Ali Tait
01-11-2012, 12:44
Very nice. I've heard these, they are great speakers. Pin you to the wall with a couple of watts.

Si74
01-11-2012, 17:13
Well, two mates well impressed so a delightful afternoon was had.
Yes Andrew was a bit scary getting the into the house with all the stairs but they made it without scars!
These are the speakers my amps have been waiting on so big thanks to Andrew
for them and his help getting them home.
They will be well used here, as my neighbors will attest when I cranked up The Alabama 3 at four this morning:lol:
Fist time I've ever made sense of Emmylou's wrecking ball which sounds stunning as opposed to a bl--dy mess.

AndrewL
01-11-2012, 18:24
So they seem to be working out...I'm still crying in my beer, but at least the missus is happy....

The Black Adder
02-11-2012, 15:02
Superb!... Love em. Man they are cool.

Ali Tait
02-11-2012, 18:48
So they seem to be working out...I'm still crying in my beer, but at least the missus is happy....

I feel for you, must have been painful!

John
02-11-2012, 19:18
Really nice speakers I am sure they sound great

Si74
02-11-2012, 23:43
After four hours with the wife out, I have come to realise these are like giant headphones.. I gave up on headphones when they gave me sore ears.
I'm going to have to calm down with the volume on these but they are so addictive I must be passing concert levels, not because they need it but just for the sheer silly grin factor:doh:
The dog has long since decamped to his basket in the other room:eyebrows:

Given I'm sitting barely six feet from these, I've decided to keep my subs?
I think the bass from the speakers is probably fantastic two houses up the road
but I'm guessing the sheer volume of air being moved by them is presurrising the room and the small subs are punching really tight bass and giving the 208's an easy ride.
They are brutal on bad recordings but hey ho.

Bass traps went out, then rapidly came back in.The way these are designed means with the absorbent faces towards the speakers, they are also calming the first reflections but could do with being a few feet taller..
Given the energy the. speakers are putting into the rear corners, a set off triangular traps behind them are a must do experiment.
Room analyser is out on loan so will just have to use my ears, I'd say ears and brain but these have blown the latter.

Si74
08-11-2012, 17:42
Well 10 minutes with the room analyser and not looking too bad for starters.
Bass traps installed at the first reflection points on side walls for the sheer
technical reason there's no bloody other place to put them:)

First plot is with the absorbent sides facing speakers.
Second is with a solid sides facing the speakers.

I'm thinking taller traps with a narrower cross section but keeping the same volume might just be spot on and need to integrate the subs better but quite
pleased with the initial results.

Got bored and back to playing music.

Si74
06-02-2013, 21:29
Well Andrew,

when you going to drop in & hear these? Don't think 3 years of flea power ever burnt in these drivers. Sounding utterly sublime, sometimes at frightening volumes:-)

UV101
06-02-2013, 22:36
Whats the guitar on the wall? looks very very similar to my crafter???

Very nice set up too ;)

Si74
07-02-2013, 15:06
Guitars a 16 year old Ibanez:) also have a couple of Crafters which I think are amazing vfm:D

Thing Fish
07-02-2013, 15:59
Impressive looking speakers Simon...:stalks:

stupinder
07-02-2013, 16:47
Very, very nice. Fancied having a go at building something like these after I got my Lowther fideios.

Si74
07-02-2013, 18:38
Thanks for the compliments! They are indeed splendid and probably wasted in my wee man cave.
Another couple of summers out of the automotive toy and I'll grow up and convert the 22x22ft garage into a music room which should do them justice:lol: