PDA

View Full Version : Trans Fi Terminator

John
25-02-2009, 21:21
I know this is not everyone favourite arm with regards to its style but boy is it good.
I just had Howard around and he said the arm cartridge combo was the best he ever heard. When James Heriot heard the arm he bought one for himself and got one of his best friends to buy one also.
The arm seems to add no colour of its own so what you hearing is basically the lp and the rest of the system.
Before I had a silver wired SME 4 nice arm but the mids and treble were not as clear as they could be and when I changed over to the terminator the difference was huge more bass better mids and treble; just better in every department. I often read that air bearing arms are weak in bass but have a wonerful mid I cna ensure you this is not the cse I have never really heard bass as good as this there is no overhang the timing is spot on
But the crazy thing is the price I am sure there must be better arms out there but I have yet to hear one.
As for noise you can bearly hear the pump and this would be easy to put out the way, but in reality its not a issue and no hiss what so ever coming from the arm itself
For me the design is all about function; its a very industrial design and understand not to everyone tastes but in terms of music you will not hear better
This is crazy performance for very little money and in terms of giant killer this is the real deal; it destroys arms costing 6 times its price

Beechwoods
25-02-2009, 21:33
I must admit that ever since I first saw Vic's arm I thought it looked great. I'm intrigued by alternative arm designs - like the Garrard cantilever type and one I saw that seemed to have an arc retainer at the cartridge end (can't remember the name).

It does look unconventional, and I've read that they are a b-gger to setup properly but I think one day I may well end trying an arm like this.

John
25-02-2009, 21:38
I think its just a new way to look at set up, once you get used to the set up its quite straightforward and no tracking errors. Vic took about 15 mins to fit a new arm from scratch and set up right

Spectral Morn
25-02-2009, 23:15
HI John

I must say that the arm looks a bit...well heavy and boxy. However the idea and reality of this type of arm makes me go a bit weak at the knees. I used to own an ET mk2 arm (boy I should never have sold that :doh:) and it was amazing on my Oracle Delphi mk4 the two worked brilliantly together. I see from the Trans-fi web site a guy using this arm on a mk2 Oracle...now that would be interesting. How much noise does the pump make?

Regards D S D L-----Neil :)

John
26-02-2009, 06:13
The arm is actually guite light its made mostly of Aluminum but is boxy in design
The pump noise is not a issue when James Herriot came round he went is that all the noise it makes. The chrome polished finish means the pump can be set quite low and no noise through the actual arm what so ever. Howard could not her the noise the pump was making. Howard thought this was better sounding than his old Brinkmann La Grange with balanced arm so it gives you a idea of the performance level when playing the Koln concert track 1 he has never heard it sound more real

Clive
26-02-2009, 08:41
With a little thought most people will find a way to totally silence the pump, a bit like setup it's not hard - it's just different to what you normally do.

Re setup, once you get to grips with it it's actually very easy, logical and quick. However, I would not want to work with a cartridge with no stylus guard.

As for looks; the arm sounds so incredibly good that I feel betrayed by every pivoted arm I've owned. To me a pivoted arm looks wrong now. Rather like if you saw a beautiful car but it had one wheel much bigger than the rest so the car was all skew-whiff.

The Terminator is quite "form follows function" but it's nicely made and stunning value for money. It sounds so right so the looks have grown on me, I rather like its looks now. If you want looks and this type of sound buy an $8,000 Kuzma Airline. It wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't sound as good as the Terminator.

muffinman
26-02-2009, 08:44
Hi guys. John is right all the way. I've just fitted a Terminator to my 12 and suffice to say it's fabulous. I'll be giving a full review next week. Vic offers a 30 day return satisfaction warranty. Give the guy a bell - he's a top bloke who likes music and it's reproduction. It really could be the best money you ever spent - regardless of your systems' relative worth

Marco
26-02-2009, 08:50
I'd like to hear Muffinman's modified 1210 with Terminator - now *that* must be a very interesting combination as it combines what I consider as the best of both technologies (D/D and the tangential arm factor) ;)

Properly designed tangential arms, such as the Terminator, are more accurate sounding than any pivoted arm - end of; it's just a question if you can live with the formers looks and operational 'quirks'.

I still dig classic Jap 'S-shapes' with detachable headshells, as I'll always be a retro boy at heart :smoking:

Marco.

John
26-02-2009, 13:30
Here is what Howard has shared with me around the TT set up

"A visit to John’s place is always an undiluted pleasure. His musical tastes exceed my own and yes, over the years he’s introduced me to fresh perspectives on what to listen to. He doesn’t preach. He assumes adults, at least in the context of audiophile interests and music, are adults. Anyway last night was an opportunity to listen to his ever-evolving audio system, the details of which have been covered elsewhere no doubt.
His utterly unconventional vinyl replay combination is the most musically compelling I’ve heard during 33 years as retailer and music lover. I don’t say this lightly. During the years I’ve owned Pinks, Gyros, Orbs, Oxfords, Regas, Denons, Trio LO7Ds, Brinkmanns and Funks with Breuer 8 arms, STAX arms, Brinkman 10.5 arms and much more. I never felt the desire to own anything from Linn as I wanted to listen to the music rather than the brand value.

Anyway, the Keith Jarrett Koln Concert vinyl (side #1) last night told me all that I needed to know. John’s combination has all the musicality of the Pink T with the grip and visceral excitement of the Brinkmann – at a fraction of the latter’s price. An extraordinary achievement. Cleary at the RRP £550, Vic’s tonearm is a not for profit venture for the maker.

Meanwhile my next turntable is a direct drive, built from scratch (including the motor) with a ceramic platter using a 12” WR-2 arm from Germany. Cartridge to be decided. LFD MCT phono stage – of course"

John
27-02-2009, 08:37
The Terminator is quite "form follows function" but it's nicely made and stunning value for money. It sounds so right so the looks have grown on me, I rather like its looks now. If you want looks and this type of sound buy an $8,000 Kuzma Airline. It wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't sound as good as the Terminator.

Yes totally agree Clive I too have come to love the design and think Vic arm would give the Kuma Airline a run for its money Its crazy to talk about a arm costing so little in those kind of terms but it is very special

Peter Stockwell
27-02-2009, 09:22
I still dig classic Jap 'S-shapes' with detachable headshells, as I'll always be a retro boy at heart :smoking:

Marco.

Aesthetics over function ? ;)

Marco
27-02-2009, 09:45
LOL. Maybe (I suspect so), but until I compare a Terminator to the Jelco on a fully modified 1210 using a DL-103SA then I won't know for sure ;)

Perhaps Gareth will be up for a sesh sometime and we can do a comparison? :)

If the Terminator pissed all over the Jelco then, me being me, I would have to get one. However if it was 'eaksy-peaksy', or the Terminator was only marginally better then I'd leave things as they were.

Marco.

shane
27-02-2009, 12:26
Meanwhile my next turntable is a direct drive, built from scratch (including the motor)

Now that sounds like a project and a half! Can you give any details of what you're proposing to do yet? I'm about to embark on building a slate-based TT around a Dual 701 motor, but the idea of scratch-building a DD motor is more interesting again.

If the Terminator pissed all over the Jelco then, me being me, I would have to get one.

Go for it, Marco. You know you want to...

Peter Stockwell
27-02-2009, 13:05
If the Terminator pissed all over the Jelco then, me being me, I would have to get one. However if it was 'eaksy-peaksy', or the Terminator was only marginally better then I'd leave things as they were.

Eaksy-peaksy is a new one on me. Not sure what you mean, specially with the caveat if the terminator was marginally better. Today, I'm dead chuffed with the SME IV/AT33PTG combo, and I wouldn't want to go through the hassle of changing it. So for this one, the Terminator, I'd be happy to accept it was better and cheaper than the SME, and leave it at that.

There's always something bigger, better, different, I'll have to get off the roundabout one day.

cheers

muffinman
27-02-2009, 13:14
it's a darn shame I can't make the bake off coz marco could hear the arm and I could hear the cart.

Marco
27-02-2009, 15:19
Eaksy-peaksy is a new one on me. Not sure what you mean, specially with the caveat if the terminator was marginally better.

"Eaksy-peaksy" = 'even Stevens'.

Basically, the Terminator would have to be a whole lot better then the Jelco (with a 103SA at the helm) for me to consider changing. Can the Terminator be supplied with a super high-mass headshell?

Shane, I'd do it if it proved to be necessary :)

Marco.

John
27-02-2009, 15:40
Hi Marco
I do not know the Jelco but remember you saying it was about the same as the SME 5 which is increadable value; my belief is that Terminator is several stages beyond the SME5 as had a silver wired SME 4 before and the difference is night and day but agree you have to hear that for yourself and I was using a very different Cart so results might be different and understand this arm is not for everyone

shane
27-02-2009, 19:01
Looking at the Trans-Fi website ( http://www.trans-fi.com/terminatortonearm.htm ), the headshell is machined from a hefty lump of aluminium, and the counterweight is almost as far from the pivot as the headshell, so effective mass is even higher. Ideal for the 103, I'd have thought. Also, since the headshell is a simple section, it should be a doddle to make a bespoke one to suit the characteristics of any cartridge. I see the one in the picture has a Decca in it, which also benefits from a massive headshell, IIRC.

John
27-02-2009, 19:28
Can the Terminator be supplied with a super high-mass headshell?

Marco.

Vic is a very good engineer and I would be pretty sure he could do this for you; you also have the option of 30 day trail so even if it does not work for you; it might be worth a try. Vic is one of the good guys, he does this because he has a passion for what he created and imagine its more of a passion or hobby for him

WOStantonCS100
08-03-2011, 20:22
Reviving an old thread, me thinks. Encouraged by everything I've read here and in other places, I jumped in.

Vic has just shipped a T3 Pro to me as of yesterday. This T3 will have the bayonet arm wand and will be utilized on one of my SL-1200MK2's with an Origin Live/Rega armboard. I have lived with and enjoyed the benefits of easy cartridge swapping for far too long not to have the bayonet option. It is also necessary for fitting my recent experiment, a Stanton Trackmaster with a Sound-Smith ruby cantilever and nude stylus. It's also nice to know that if I ever obtain an SPU, I'll be able to use it in this setup. (a member on the lenco LH forum has done just that... with quite nice pictures (eye candy) for you SPU lovers out there)

John
08-03-2011, 20:32
Yes the new wand was developed with the SPU in mind but also helped with other cartridges. Must say was really impressed with the sounds Marco was getting with the SPU can see why people really like it and worked very well with his arm it relly performs above its weight

WOStantonCS100
08-03-2011, 20:41
...SPU... relly performs above its weight

No pun intended... :lolsign:

Generally, I'm an Audio Technica kind of person and would love to have the Sound-Smith mod on every cart I have; but, I'm curious to see what the SPU thing is all about. It's a sexy motorscooter. ;) The T3 has been on my want list for a long time. I'm pretty excited about it. The only downside is that my SL-M3 may not see very much action hereafter. I might also try the T3 on my SL-150MK2 if I get a little loopy.

John
09-03-2011, 08:43
Well let us know how you get on with it.

WOStantonCS100
30-03-2011, 04:55
So, here 'tis... ...a similar picture to what I posted in the gallery.

I do believe this spells the end of pivoted arms for me. This is what my expectations for shibata and line contact styli were. This is what they need. IMHO, this is the big payoff. Mightily impressed (and honestly, I would have been disappointed if I was anything less). Full speed ahead to a Mike New bearing; hopefully, later this year.

...with how nice it sounds, you'd think I would do something about that knackered cabinet... :lolsign:

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz80/TCKA1ESa/Projects/SL1200MK2_T3Pro.jpg