PDA

View Full Version : what to do about a dealers broken promise

the engine
28-10-2012, 15:28
6 weeks ago after my X Can 2 headphones amp blew up Irang round the dealers nearby and the only one with an amp actually in store was the dealer I now write about.
I arrived to audition and was delighted with my new Musical Fidelity HPA .
Sounds great.
After agreeing to buy said item the guys next words were
" As I'm only on a small property ( true ) I tend to keep the boxes in a separate lock up "
Fair enough I though. "So I'll get it in a couple of days and send it to you "
Again , fair enough .
Address given....£400 given.
6 weeks later...no box...no mains lead....no musical Fidelity guarantee...4 promises and apologies .
Now I'm a busy lad and this place is 35 miles away.
He's a small indie hi fidelity dealer and so just the sort of place I would usually try to keep going.
But I'm loosing my rag now !!

Next step please ....

Audio Al
28-10-2012, 18:33
Turn up in his shop with said item in one hand and a demand for either a refund in full or all the items that are missing

Maybe a couple of mates as well ;)

the engine
28-10-2012, 20:52
wot fisticuffs heehee ?
I will call n tell him it's his last shot or I'll name and shame on the mighty AOS !!
Another point though...even though he's a MF retailer , how do I know it's not second hand ?

Wakefield Turntables
28-10-2012, 21:03
wot fisticuffs heehee ?
I will call n tell him it's his last shot or I'll name and shame on the mighty AOL !!
Another point though...even though he's a MF retailer , how do I know it's not second hand ?

Do you mean AOS :scratch: You can complain to America On Line but you might not get any sympathy :lol:

hifi_dave
28-10-2012, 21:54
wot fisticuffs heehee ?
I will call n tell him it's his last shot or I'll name and shame on the mighty AOL !!

Without a box, mains lead and guarantee, it is most certainly s/hand, ex-demo at best.

the engine
28-10-2012, 23:40
yeah AOS ....sorry about that.
Where am I legally though....? He did say it had been on display. Which again I was happy with as it's in A1 condition.
I paid cash so is it gonna be simply his word against mine ?
Best threat offers needed maybe ?
If I drive 30 odd miles to see him I know I'll blow me f*****g top !

synsei
29-10-2012, 09:24
Did you get a receipt? If you did then the chap hasn't got a leg to stand on, just take it in to the shop and demand your money back :)

Audioman
29-10-2012, 09:45
Did you get a receipt? If you did then the chap hasn't got a leg to stand on, just take it in to the shop and demand your money back :)

+1. Ex display and no box! This should have been sold at a substantial discount. You payed for new so that's what you should get. Also worth checking with MF if he is actualy an official dealer. Frankly if this sort of behaviour is still widely prevalent with bricks and mortar dealers they deserve to go to the wall. Item you bought is readily available on internet.

Paul.

the engine
29-10-2012, 11:41
good points.
That's what I get for trusting what I thought was a small independent dealer struggling against the internet giants....tch .
If I get no joy this week I'll name and shame then go see him with the box in hand.

The Grand Wazoo
29-10-2012, 12:12
I'd advise against naming the dealership in question - speak to them first.

Audioman
29-10-2012, 12:12
good points.
That's what I get for trusting what I thought was a small independent dealer struggling against the internet giants....tch .
If I get no joy this week I'll name and shame then go see him with the box in hand.

In my opinion he is just dishonest and doesn't deserve to stay in business. Obviously has no new stock and if he were an MF dealer surely he could obtain your item within a week or two. Tip - never hand over cash unless a small deposit and pay by credit card if you are not picking up in person. Cheaper to travel 35 miles to pick up than risk losing £400.

Paul.

the engine
29-10-2012, 16:32
No I haven't lost my cash... I've got the amp.In my last post I meant take the amp back , sorry.
It's the box and warranty details , mains head and manual which he said are in the box which he would send on.
I know this guys been in business for many years and stocks rega, nottingham analogue , naim ,as well as MF. So I don't know what his problem is..Posting a box can't be that much hassle surely !
All I get is " oh it's slipped my mind " every time.
Anyway I've left him a phone message saying it's going back this Saturday if I don't get the stuff.
We'll see if he answers .

Wakefield Turntables
29-10-2012, 16:48
might be worth going above his head and complaining directly to the manufacturer rather than the dealer, he could loose his ability to stock their goods, its his wallet that will hurt more than yours ultimately. :D

the engine
29-10-2012, 17:02
If I get nowhere this week that's another step I'm considering. I've said I think my warranty is in danger as it should have been registered on or around the date of purchase with musical fidelity.
But it appears he's closed today so it's as a phone message. He does know it's a 70 mile round trip for me so I hope he's not just thinking I'll go away. Because I don't intend to.
I just want my bits.I don't want any sort of revenge....Yet !
But If he plays this game another week I'm gonna go ballistic .

twickers
29-10-2012, 17:27
Why not check to see if the serial number has already been registered with mf? then you'll definitely know if it's second hand.

Audioman
29-10-2012, 19:35
Ivor.

Having read your original post again all is clear. So you left the shop with an unboxed amp having payed full price and he says he keeps the empty boxes elsewhere :doh:. Frankly a little incredible on his part.

In effect you have purchased a used item anyway as this was a display model. Unboxed = used in my opinion ! Just don't buy the story and why couldn't he pop out and get the box from his 'lock up'. Do you honestly think he sells everything in his shop this way? BTW in my experience dealers who only have dem stock usualy just take orders. This needs a little patience on part of potential customer nowdays when you can click on a mouse and get it next day. Which means dealers need to do better unless you like giving to charity.

Seems utterly incredible to me. Anyway get round there and sort him out. What's a couple gallons fuel to get there anyway? It's not surprising people are buying on net based on forum recommendations is it?

Paul.

the engine
29-10-2012, 20:20
As I said it's obviously my mistake for thinking I'm playing my little well intended part in keeping 'proper ' shops open ! It was a case of leaving it till I could pick up the item boxed ( ( he said ) or take it now. I needed it that week so I took it with a gentlemans agreements . It seem one of us is not such a gentleman !
We live and learn.

synsei
29-10-2012, 21:26
If you get no joy from the dealer by the middle of next week I would second contacting MF. Being a reputable company I am certain they will take a dim view of the circumstances of this sale. 'It slipped my mind' is a pathetic excuse in my book, after all I'm sure he wouldn't be as understanding if it slipped your mind to pay him... :eyebrows:

the engine
30-10-2012, 00:50
Yeah I'll threaten him with it first and give him 3 days. Then I'll give fidelity a ring .
As I've said I try to help these ' last shop standing ' businesses if I can....My local shop ( no headphone amps....creek stopped making em ) has benefitted greatley from me over the years. I've even payed a bit more as I know these places can't knock down like the net firms. But honestly guys like this do themselves no favours.
:steam:

Audioman
30-10-2012, 01:04
Yeah I'll threaten him with it first and give him 3 days. Then I'll give fidelity a ring .
As I've said I try to help these ' last shop standing ' businesses if I can....My local shop ( no headphone amps....creek stopped making em ) has benefitted greatley from me over the years. I've even payed a bit more as I know these places can't knock down like the net firms. But honestly guys like this do themselves no favours.
:steam:

So what's this ?

http://www.creekaudio.com/products/obh21.php

Another dealer feeding bollocks info or just lazy? Are they thick as the Internet has made product availability pretty transparent? Frankly there have always been a good number of dealers like this and their days are numbered. There are reliable ones out there quite a few of which are AOS members. Frankly they don't deserve your custom Ivor.

the engine
30-10-2012, 07:00
Thanks...I see the link but Seemingly they are now out of production.
Your right about my custom though.....so much for ideals eh ?

the engine
01-11-2012, 10:50
Rang him yesterday and asked what was his busiest time on Saturday . Then said I'll se him then with the amp in hand demanding a full refund.
Got a call back at 9:30 today.
" Hey I'm just posting the stuff now.....will reggy post 24 hrs be ok ? Oh and I've rung my MF rep and explained and they'll honour the 5 year warranty "
So lets see if I get anything tomorrow .
Never the less I'm not going back. Unbelievable .I have spent the last 15years or so choosing to buy at , often knowingly at top price from the small hi fi dealers. Thinking I'm keeping alive in a small part the sort of buying I used to love . A chat , a coffee, a demo and a much appreciated sale. And more importantly a great after sales and good advice.
I'm not gonna let this guy put me off buying from genuine audio dealers who love what they do...but feck me it's annoying when I can be bothered and they can't !

the engine
02-11-2012, 10:55
All arrived today.
Kofi Anan - 0......Threats - 1

Audio Al
02-11-2012, 11:22
All arrived today.

At last , you now have what you paid for

Well done :)

Macca
02-11-2012, 13:07
All arrived today.

With some people that's what it takes. You have to press the nuclear button as it is the only thing they understand. Very sad. Still, as the Bard said, all's well that turns out good in the end.

the engine
02-11-2012, 18:11
thanks chaps.....