PDA

View Full Version : FS - Croft Micro 25 pre and Series 7R Power

Reffc
28-10-2012, 09:53
Newly available as I now need something different to drive my new Tannoys:

Details:

Pre: HERE (http://www.croftacoustics.co.uk/micro25.html)

Power: HERE (http://www.croftacoustics.co.uk/series7_R.html)

Stunning combo: Power to drive the most difficult of loads, large 300va torroidal PSU transformer in the power amp with MOFSET output stage. Pre has delicacy and detail plus as with many good valve preamps, a lovely deep soundstage and separation with remarkably low noise. The Micro 25 is the superb mid range Croft preamp (RRP £700) and the power amp is the top of the range amp (RRP £1400).

These amps are as good as anything I've owned/heard at three times the price.

Can courier to anywhere in the UK for £35 or buyer collects/meets halfway for cost of fuel.

These are just 4 months old and MINT, just run in! Standard valves will be fitted, but if interested, I have a few NOS valves that I can supply for £30 extra.

This combo costs £2,100. I am after just £1400 which is an absolute steal for an almost brand new pair. Looking to sell as a pair but if I get interest in each separately I may consider splitting (I'd rather not though). These will come boxed in the original packaging and for courier I can double box although standard packaging is excellent on its own. (would withstand the usual courier rough handling no problem).

DSJR
28-10-2012, 10:26
You're doing it all wrong you know. You have a shitty room, the speakers severely compromised and I feel you are trying to bodge your gear to this, downgrading as you go. Just my opinion like, but you'll come full circle in time - I've seen it all before and done it meself, taking loads of blind wrong turns as I went :lol:

To the buyer - get the preamp converted to an R pronto, as the "better" R series poweramp will reproduce the difference even more then a standard "7" does. Remember the HiFi hierarchy.

Hope you can get your room and speaker positioning sorted out. You'll be back to a wife friendly B&O system if not, and their column speakers were designed for rooms such as yours.......... ;)

Oh hang on a minute - you're turning into Jerry mk2. That explains all the gear changes :lol:

Hope you sell the croft quickly to someone who can fully appreciate how good this stuff is, even if it looks bland compared to the bling you've had in recent months.......

Reffc
28-10-2012, 11:40
You're doing it all wrong you know. You have a shitty room, the speakers severely compromised and I feel you are trying to bodge your gear to this, downgrading as you go. Just my opinion like, but you'll come full circle in time - I've seen it all before and done it meself, taking loads of blind wrong turns as I went :lol:

To the buyer - get the preamp converted to an R pronto, as the "better" R series poweramp will reproduce the difference even more then a standard "7" does. Remember the HiFi hierarchy.

Hope you can get your room and speaker positioning sorted out. You'll be back to a wife friendly B&O system if not, and their column speakers were designed for rooms such as yours.......... ;)

Oh hang on a minute - you're turning into Jerry mk2. That explains all the gear changes :lol:

Hope you sell the croft quickly to someone who can fully appreciate how good this stuff is, even if it looks bland compared to the bling you've had in recent months.......

:lol:

No. Room is fine. I've now sorted some room treatment. Downgrading? No, absolutely not. I don' care what other people say or believe because both my wife and I (plus numerous visitors) have been hugely impressed with the Tannoys:ner: For us, they are an upgrade on the Harbeths (perhaps not as tonally accurate but more enjoyable).

the Croft amps are great, perhaps one of the best pairings I've ever owned, but having had loads of amps from ANs, Mastersounds, other EL34 tyes and the Crofts on the end of the Tannoys in the past few days, I'm leaning towards a differnt type of valve amp for them and know exactly where I'm going with this ;) Kit "rolling" is part of the fun and I don't mind going through a shedload of amps and speakers until I settle on a combo that will be with us probably for good. i do believe that I have my "final destination" speakers now.

DSJR
28-10-2012, 13:26
The room is ALWAYS the final arbiter and if the Tannoys suit it better acoustically, then fine. I'd still get the speakers away from the walls and corners, whatever they be, in all honesty. And ffs get the turntables away from the speakers (as pictured in your pics of a few months ago, about three system generations back ;))

Reffc
28-10-2012, 16:09
The room is ALWAYS the final arbiter and if the Tannoys suit it better acoustically, then fine. I'd still get the speakers away from the walls and corners, whatever they be, in all honesty. And ffs get the turntables away from the speakers (as pictured in your pics of a few months ago, about three system generations back ;))

Granny and eggs I'm afraid ;)

As mentioned, the big "T" speakers are great, they're well off the side walls and out far enough. May seem like it from time to time, but I'm not a complete novice ;).

Things are where they are because that's the compromise. Its a living room for a family. Could do a perfectly set up listening room had I the luxury (couldn't we all?) but as things stand, the system sounds fabulous and very happy with it now. The amp of my choice has been trialled which is the reason for the crofts appearing for sale, the subject of this thread.

Haselsh1
28-10-2012, 17:19
I went from a Croft pre/power combo back to 100% valve and I certainly don't regret it even in my very modest system. The sound I am getting now is very much better than it was.

Reffc
28-10-2012, 21:13
Depends on the speakers in use I think. The Croft pre IMHO is a giant killing pre-amp with genuine high-end credentials. Some speaks seem to suit valve amplification or at least class A amplification so I can see why some (including myself) would want to trade such excellent amps in to scratch another valve itch! The Crofts as a pairing are very good indeed.

Reffc
29-10-2012, 14:57
Bump

price drop to £1250 for BOTH together. That's getting very close to HALF price!

The Black Adder
29-10-2012, 15:48
Stop it... That's a nuts price! - A TOTAL bargain ere folks...

Reffc
29-10-2012, 19:04
Bump

price drop to £1250 for BOTH together. That's getting very close to HALF price!

Power amp available on it's own for £850 if that helps. If not sold as a pair, I'd rather hold onto the preamp.

Canetoad
30-10-2012, 11:44
I'm seriously tempted but I don't have the cash at the moment. :doh:

Reffc
30-10-2012, 12:10
I'm seriously tempted but I don't have the cash at the moment. :doh:

All I'd say is that it is very worthwhile stretching to the asking price as in a year or two, what you pay for them now won't matter, but getting an almost brand new pairing like this for close to half price is not an offer you're likely to see very often. I've had loads of offers just under the asking price but can't afford to drop a penny lower I'm afraid. They're a stone cold bargain as it is :stalks:

Canetoad
30-10-2012, 13:27
PM sent. :)

Reffc
30-10-2012, 18:28
Provisionally SOLD

Reffc
01-11-2012, 16:44
NOW SOLD