PDA

View Full Version : SL1210mk2 for beginners

mwahahaha
24-02-2009, 22:10
Hi everyone,

I've been considering picking up an SL1210mk2 to get back into Vinyl a bit. I really like the idea of the ease of use of the Technics (Used to have an LP12 and did get a bit tired of the rituals involved in ownership)

Now I'm a complete newbie when it comes to doing anything setup wise with a TT. With the Linn there were no end of dealers who could help out but not so much with the Technics especially when i'd like to put a Denon DL110 cart on which I can only find online.

Basically I'd like to put a Sumiko headshell and DL110 on the standard Technics arm and then probably get some new feet and mat whenever. What would be involved in installing the DL110 and sumiko headshell to the Technics arm? I'm just trying to guage whether I'd be a bit out of my depth!

jonners
24-02-2009, 22:23
Hi, mwahahaha

I'm using that cart and headshell on the Technics myself. Setup is pretty easy. You can use the Technics alignment gauge for starters to get the cart in the right place in the headshell. Are you getting a new deck? It's all explained in the manual. Go for it!

John

muffinman
24-02-2009, 22:24
I'd say it all depends on how much you think you may end up spending in the long run.
The sumiko and denon are just straight replacements - no worries at all, and will bring great improvements.
The general opinion here though is that the fundamental massive improvement is a PSU change.
Trouble with that though is, as always, once you've done that - you'll want a better cart/headshell.

it never ends

Peter Stockwell
25-02-2009, 09:40
Muffinma,

You put the parallel tracker on your teccie ?

That looked so hard to do, I didn't even think about it.

mwahahaha
25-02-2009, 11:39
Hi, mwahahaha

I'm using that cart and headshell on the Technics myself. Setup is pretty easy. You can use the Technics alignment gauge for starters to get the cart in the right place in the headshell. Are you getting a new deck? It's all explained in the manual. Go for it!

John

I've had a few offers on used decks, I've just emailed the sellers to ask which have the alignment guage although even if they don't I doubt they're too hard to come by from DJ shops in town (I live in London so there's got to be somewhere!) or the internet.

How did you find the correct tracking force to set the counterbalance? (I might not be using the correct lingo there sorry:doh:)

all the best.
Dan

mwahahaha
25-02-2009, 11:41
I'd say it all depends on how much you think you may end up spending in the long run.
The sumiko and denon are just straight replacements - no worries at all, and will bring great improvements.
The general opinion here though is that the fundamental massive improvement is a PSU change.
Trouble with that though is, as always, once you've done that - you'll want a better cart/headshell.

it never ends

Yeah I have seen the PSU replcements.... As for how far I'll go with it all who knows, I think I will have to see how much I use it compared to my digital setup. Having all the convenience of the Technics will be great (Instant switch from 33 - 45 yay!)

Peter Stockwell
25-02-2009, 11:43
To start with, all you need to do is fit the cartridge in the headshell, line it up using the technics alignment guage. Fit the Headshell+cartridge on the arm tube, it's asimmple bayonet fit, tighten the collar. The counter balance move it backwards and forwards, by turning, until the arm holds level. Finally twist the counter balance forward to set the tracking weight. All of this will bein the manual.

mwahahaha
07-03-2009, 17:59
Just thought I'd update this thread. I'm shortly to be the new owner of Gromit's 1210 with the original Technics arm and TimeStep PSU:)

I've got myself a Denon DL-110 that is ready and waiting. Luckily Gromit's kindly agreed to give me a helping hand with the cart fitting which is great so hopefully in the future I'll be able to do it myself after learning the ropes on this one.

Gromit's hopefully coming round tomorrow night - looking forward to hearing the TT!

Marco
07-03-2009, 18:08
Nice one, and congrats on the new T/T... Ask Richard to bring round his PL-71 and do a thorough A/B comparison in your system - I'd love to know the results! ;)

Marco.

bong
08-03-2009, 01:33
welcome to the 12xx club ... it's a great table and the ease of setup, tweaking and switching headshells is something that will keep this table with me for a LONG time ... :)

mwahahaha
12-03-2009, 19:00
Well all is in a settling down nicely. I'm reluctant to start stating what I do and don't like so far as I have a brand new cart (DL110) that will need time to burn in etc. Just bought U2 - The Joshua Tree Remastered 180g from Amazon and it sounds very nice indeed!

First things to be changed I think - mat and feet most probably for Dave's audiophile mat and fixed feet.

One weird thing - listening I can only ever seem to hear static pops etc from the left channel never the right. I've been trying to listen as to whether there's a channel imbalance can't decide:scratch: