PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Kent

ls2019
25-10-2012, 12:45
Hello sound artists!

My name is Luca. I just moved from Geneva, Switzerland, to Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK. After years of frustrating listening sessions in a noisy flat in the city (warning for those who have visited it in the past: Geneva isn't anymore the calm, peaceful and clean haven it used to be :steam:), I can finally enjoy some decent music reproduction in a quiet house surrounded by trees. What a difference that makes!

I'm not pretending to be an audiophile (yet), but I'm really looking forward to improving my set up with your tips and advice.

Right now, I'm using a Krell KAV-300i amplifier bought second hand, Sonus Faber Cremona loudspeakers (also second hand), Oppo BDP-93 NuForce Edition universal player, connected through ASI liveline interconnect, Artisan Silver Cables for the speakers, Vovox mains leads and block. I also have a Wyred4Sound Dac-1, but it's in need of service right now.

The sonic result is a (not completely satisfying) combination between the warmth of the Sonus Faber and the brightness (and sometimes harshness, or is it my ears?) of the Krell. If the timbres of the instruments and the dynamics are respected, I'm less happy with soundstage and depth.

I enjoy a broad spectrum of music, mostly classical and jazz, but also pop, rock, world, soundtracks and the chansons of Serge Gainsbourg! :)

Best to all,
Luca

John
25-10-2012, 13:24
Welcome Luca
Lots of good friendly advice, sounds like you not to far from you audio goals
Enjoy the forum

ls2019
25-10-2012, 13:42
Thank you John!

Forgot to mention that in the last 25 years I have worked as a professional music critic and journalist for various Swiss newspapers and magazines. Now I'll be a happy daddy at home for the next few months, while my wife makes a living for the whole family! :)

Luca

ls2019
25-10-2012, 19:31
sounds like you not to far from you audio goals

Actually, I feel myself at a crossroad. For years, I've been happy with digital + solid state, but now I feel more and more attracted by analog (and valve amplification)... As this is unknown territory (for me), I will be happy to benefit from the expertise and help of you guys...

Best,
Luca

Reid Malenfant
25-10-2012, 19:55
Hi Luca, a warm welcome to the forum from me as well :) We do have some very knowledgeable members on here that I'm sure will be more than willing to help point in the correct general direction valve amp wise, without you having to audition loads of them.

I hope you enjoy your stay & find audio nirvana in the not too distant future :cool:

All the best!

Mr Nad
25-10-2012, 20:07
I was in Geneva - well, just outside - at Easter. Coppet was where I stayed. I love Switzerland, but not the prices.

I'm not all that far from you Kent - just up the A21.

Anyway, welcome to AoS. Lovely to have you here.

Ashmore
04-11-2012, 20:39
Hi Luca

Warm welcome to a fellow Man of Kent, or should it be Kentish Man? Or whatever a Swiss man in Kent is called.

Lucky sod staying at home all day, listening to music while the kid sleeps ;)

ls2019
06-11-2012, 14:05
Thank you Lenny and Simon,

Kent has been very welcoming to us so far. Even the cheese is better than Swiss cheese... :D

Lucky sod staying at home all day, listening to music while the kid sleeps ;)

My kids never sleep... ;)

Luca

Alex_UK
06-11-2012, 16:29
Hi Luca, and sorry for not saying hello sooner. I loved Geneva when I visited a few times in the early 2000's - the bonus of easy access to the Mont Blanc region for Paragliding in the summer or snowboarding in the winter - sadly neither of which I do now, as I too am a busy dad, as well as now poor, getting old and fat, of course! :)

Good luck with getting your system sorted and hope you enjoy the forum.

ls2019
10-11-2012, 16:05
Hi Alex,

Hi Luca, and sorry for not saying hello sooner. I loved Geneva when I visited a few times in the early 2000's - the bonus of easy access to the Mont Blanc region for Paragliding in the summer or snowboarding in the winter - sadly neither of which I do now, as I too am a busy dad, as well as now poor, getting old and fat, of course! :)

Wow, I never ventured in such risky sports, although I enjoyed skiing for a few years before I jumped to the part where I get poor, old, fat and hopelessly lazy! :D

Alex_UK
10-11-2012, 19:13
Lazy, I forgot lazy! :doh: :rfl: