PDA

View Full Version : Speaker repair query

Covenant
25-10-2012, 12:18
I was about to throw out a pair of JPW mini monitors because one of the tweeters is duff (or the crossover failed) when I thought about replacing the units.
Maplin have tweeters, is it feasible to replace them? I don't know any details like impedance but no doubt its on the internet somewhere.
If its a big exercise I might be better binning them and getting something off ebay.

Macca
25-10-2012, 12:20
I have a pair of mini monitors but the bass cones have gone. I could potentially cannabilise them for the tweeters if you can't source any elsewhere. Not used them in a long while but I am pretty sure they are fine.

Covenant
25-10-2012, 13:02
Cheers Martin, I will bear your offer in mind, weighing up a few options atm. :)

YNWaN
25-10-2012, 13:08
You can't just bung in any old tweeter - well, you can, but it is extremely unlikely to sound the same. At the very least, you want the sensitivity of the old and new tweeters to be the same.

Covenant
25-10-2012, 13:16
You can't just bung in any old tweeter - well, you can, but it is extremely unlikely to sound the same. At the very least, you want the sensitivity of the old and new tweeters to be the same.

Yea, I guess it was an ill-considered idea. Given the price of new tweeters and the fact that the crossover may be goosed I think I will just buy second hand off ebay.

Unless anyone has a cheap pair of small speakers they want to off load?

Stratmangler
25-10-2012, 19:58
Yea, I guess it was an ill-considered idea. Given the price of new tweeters and the fact that the crossover may be goosed I think I will just buy second hand off ebay.

Unless anyone has a cheap pair of small speakers they want to off load?

Why would the crossover be goosed?
In all likelihood the tweeter itself is the problem, and you're best line of approach is to take up Martin's very kind offer :)

nat8808
26-10-2012, 02:22
Could be a loose wire or dodgy soldering somewhere... better to check first before assuming it's something big.