PDA

View Full Version : New Mac Mini

dave2010
24-10-2012, 10:26
The new Mac Mini is coming - could make a very neat music server - http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/shop_mac/family/mac_mini

Not sure how the quad core i7 would compare with the dual core cheaper model. Depends what else you'd want to do with it I think. As a music server the i5 with 1 Tbyte should be good enough for most people, and its got 4 x USB 3 ports for external drives.

If anyone wants to do virtualisation then maybe they should consider the expanded memory models (8Gbytes or more) - otherwise the standard memory should be enough.

WAD62
24-10-2012, 11:42
Nearly £700 for a 1TB headless music server!!! :stalks:

I suppose you have to admire their nerve...:doh:

Oh sorry it comes with a free 'HDMI to DVI adapter' & a power chord!!! :lol:

synsei
24-10-2012, 11:58
I was thinking the same thing Will. One could build a Windows machine for far less and it would still be a more capable machine. Fashion comes at a price...

WAD62
24-10-2012, 12:14
I was thinking the same thing Will. One could build a Windows machine for far less and it would still be a more capable machine. Fashion comes at a price...

...and even less for a Linux based one...oh and that'll handle FLAC too ;)

Audio Al
24-10-2012, 16:01
PC / Windows

I remember those days , spent hours booting up / hours running anti virus programs , got fed up with de fraging then switched off as I became bored

I then Seen the light " alleluia brother " i Mac :)

NEVER again will my doorway be darkened by anything Microsoft / PC

I am cured and content

NRG
24-10-2012, 16:44
The Mac / Mini can handle Flac as well, just not via itunes :rolleyes:

They are expensive for just a music server but if you are to include video and pictures then you could probably start to justify the price...maybe!

I've had mixed results with mine though with regard to music quality played directly from either USB or TOSLINK, the presentation has a steely, over bright hard edge to it. Traced it to the inbuilt WiFi. Going to a wired Ethernet connection made quite a difference but I need a wireless connection so ended up disabling one of the inbuilt antennae...better but no cigar.

Its now replaced my old XP machine in the office...

Martinh
24-10-2012, 16:46
Better not mention the other new products Dave, or you'll get lynched :)

IMac
iPhone 5
iPad mini
iPod touch
iPod mini
MacBook Air with retina display
Mac mini

All launched in the last month or so.

Cheers,

WAD62
24-10-2012, 16:57
MacBook Air with retina display

...their marketing department must have a real laugh!

A couple of bollox terms, and the punters are hooked ;)

Don't suppose iRetina would have worked :lol:

dave2010
24-10-2012, 20:43
Sorry, I'm with Audio Al on this one. I don't think the Minis are overpriced, though it does depend what you want them for. if you only want a music server and you are prepared to frig around with other, very probably inferior, kit, then you can go cheaper.

I wouldn't care if I never had to log into Windows again.

WAD62
24-10-2012, 21:40
Sorry, I'm with Audio Al on this one. I don't think the Minis are overpriced, though it does depend what you want them for. if you only want a music server and you are prepared to frig around with other, very probably inferior, kit, then you can go cheaper.

I wouldn't care if I never had to log into Windows again.

...and linux? :)

Reid Malenfant
24-10-2012, 22:22
PC / Windows

I remember those days , spent hours booting up / hours running anti virus programs , got fed up with de fraging then switched off as I became bored

I then Seen the light " alleluia brother " i Mac :)

NEVER again will my doorway be darkened by anything Microsoft / PC

I am cured and content
:rfl:

I don't know what the problem is... Or should I say, your previous problems.

Less than 30 seconds to boot up, never had a virus - EVER! Only malware I have had was from a crack that was on a CD to get Nero to work.

As for a defragmentation program, you didn't use windows own one did you? :lol: Did you use their firewall as well? :doh:

I can defrag my main C drive in less than a minute & have it close packed on an NTFS system with zero fragments... Unlike the standard windoze defragger that would say it didn't need anything doing :rolleyes:

I guess you just stuck with what you were given, I know I'd get fed up with that to...

Nothing at all wrong with a windows based machine, just don't use half of the windows cobblers programs that are already there, install better ones.

Jobs a good one :cool:

realysm42
24-10-2012, 22:29
It cracks me up hearing the hushed tones of awe that people speak about Apple at my work.

"It can't even get a virus you know"

My boss is the biggest Apple fanboi going; people come to him to ask what they should get etc (he's a 'guru'). The funny thing is, they don't tell him what they need it for, they just get told yes, and that's enough for them :lol:

Gotta laugh.

dave2010
24-10-2012, 23:57
...and linux? :)
Linux is OK, but often runs on machines which started off as Windows PCs.
Many of them are really not so well made, take up too much space and have noisy fans. There are some good ones, but the good ones tend to be as expensive as Macs anyway. I have an iMac and a PC at work. The PC may be faster - it's quite impressive, but I hardly ever turn it on as the fan is so noisy - and realistically it's only moderate - I've heard worse. The iMac, OTOH, is virtually silent. The iMac I have at home is slightly noisier. It's got noisier - but it's still fairly quiet, and compared with most PCs it's not noticeable.

if I want to run Linux I'm quite likely to run it on a Mac, though what does Linux have that Macs don't? Games players are likely to prefer PCs, but that's not my world.

Rambaud
25-10-2012, 08:41
Like cars, usually the highest "cost" is depreciation. I am now on my 3rd macbook. I sold the first one for 60% of its cost after 2 1/2 years, and the second for 75% after 2 years.

I bought a mac mini a few months ago - increased the RAM to 16Gb and added a SSD drive. It runs Windows 7 via Parallels virtualisation quite well. :)

WAD62
25-10-2012, 09:17
Many of them are really not so well made, take up too much space and have noisy fans. There are some good ones, but the good ones tend to be as expensive as Macs anyway. I have an iMac and a PC at work. The PC may be faster - it's quite impressive, but I hardly ever turn it on as the fan is so noisy - and realistically it's only moderate - I've heard worse. The iMac, OTOH, is virtually silent. The iMac I have at home is slightly noisier. It's got noisier - but it's still fairly quiet, and compared with most PCs it's not noticeable.

if I want to run Linux I'm quite likely to run it on a Mac, though what does Linux have that Macs don't? Games players are likely to prefer PCs, but that's not my world.

...here's my noisy, and resource intensive Linux media server ;)

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/QNAP-TS119-Turbo-NAS-Evaluation/

Silent apart from HD

12W running, 5W sleeping, 0W on overnight power scheduled shut-down

Incremental Q-RAID disk mirroring

...£200 + hd and it's been running perfectly for 3 years :)

All my SBs are linux devices/appliences, and I also have a Raspberry Pi running XBMC media centre very well...at £34 :)

I think you need to research Linux a little more...

EDIT; Damn, I forgot my linux based Android phone, from which I can control my Server O/S, My entire SB network, it can also be an SB player, and I can control my Raspberry Pi from there too...not to mention I can also load it up with 64Gb of FLAC (onto an upgradable SD card), and actually play it!!!

webby
25-10-2012, 09:20
Better not mention the other new products Dave, or you'll get lynched :)

IMac
iPhone 5
iPad mini
iPod touch
iPod mini
MacBook PRO with retina display
Mac mini

All launched in the last month or so.

Cheers,

No Air with Retina display.

synsei
25-10-2012, 09:26

My PC is totally silent, I made it that way ;)

That old chestnut about Windows PC users being plebeian gamers is about as old as the one which says all Mac users are snooty fashionistas... :rolleyes:

One can install Linux for zero outlay (which is a BIG bonus) on a machine that can be built to suit your own specifications. Remember, a Mac is a PC too, it's just not quite as flexible as a traditional component build product.

NRG
25-10-2012, 09:34
Agreed, so much bigotry comes to the surface in these 'debates'. Use what you like and get on with its your choice just don't ram it down somebody else's throat. :mental:

synsei
25-10-2012, 09:40
Agreed, so much bigotry comes to the surface in these 'debates'.

Indeed, it's all very disagreeable and totally unnecessary... :doh:

Use what you like and get on with its your choice just don't ram it down somebody else's throat. :mental:

Something I should have added to my post... :respect:

Martinh
25-10-2012, 10:55
No Air with Retina display.

Just testing to see if anyone was awake.

One to add:

iPad 4

cheers,

webby
25-10-2012, 11:08
Just testing to see if anyone was awake.

One to add:

iPad 4

cheers,

You forgot the Mac mini with Retina display! :eyebrows:

Filterlab
31-10-2012, 22:31
The Mac / Mini can handle Flac as well, just not via itunes :rolleyes:

Why on earth would anyone who values sound quality want to use iTunes anyway? It's bloody appalling in several ways, not least the abominable layout. There are dozens of audio applications ranging from free to expensive, I personally use Cog for playback and Max for ripping - both free, both superb. Max hasn't been developed for years so it's a bit choppy on Mountain Lion, but it does work and the results and seriously high quality.

Abandon iTunes and it's digital faff, go for something proper. :)

Filterlab
31-10-2012, 22:34
...old as the one which says all Mac users are snooty fashionistas... :rolleyes:

Hmmm...

One could build a Windows machine for far less and it would still be a more capable machine. Fashion comes at a price...

Beechwoods
31-10-2012, 22:36
Have you tried PureMusic, Rob? It uses iTunes as a 'media manager' but takes control of playback via it's own engine. It handles FLAC and DSD. I personally like iTunes' UI, but PureMusic definitely sounds better.

http://www.channld.com/puremusic/

NRG
? I wasnt suggesting to use iTunes. I was pointing out Macs can handle Flac via alternative s/w.

NRG
PureMusic is $130 !

Filterlab
31-10-2012, 22:41
? I wasnt suggesting to use iTunes. I was pointing out Macs can handle Flac via alternative s/w.

I know, and I wasn't suggesting you were.

Have you tried PureMusic, Rob? It uses iTunes as a 'media manager' but takes control of playback via it's own engine. It handles FLAC and DSD. I personally like iTunes' UI, but PureMusic definitely sounds better.

http://www.channld.com/puremusic/
I haven't to be honest. I use iTunes for one thing only and that's syncing my iOS devices. I'm far too far down the road with Cog now - terabytes of music I've got in that, and the file info format is different to the standard that iTunes uses so too late to go back (unless I spend hours weeks months programming all the information in). :)

Beechwoods
31-10-2012, 22:42
PureMusic is $130 !

£86. I tried the free demo and figured it was worth it. Tried a number of other free and paid for players as well. I decided it was the best.

I've spent a lot more on Hi-Fi...!

NRG
31-10-2012, 22:50
Not tried COG, have run Decibel but its overtly bright with quite a hard edge to the presentation. I don't think you should have to pay $130 to get decent playback TBH on a Mac.

Beechwoods
31-10-2012, 22:56
Fidelia sounded just as good (around £45), but I couldn't get on with the interface.

I've used Cog for a long time, but I find it's pretty awkward for managing large libraries.

It's a shame Foobar 2000 isn't available for the Mac, as a tool it is extremely well designed and configurable. It works nicely under Wine on Lion. I'm not convinced that running it in Wine is bit-perfect, so I don't use it for general listening, but for some stuff, especially old SHN (Shorten) lossless files Foobar really does the business.

Filterlab
01-11-2012, 16:31
Not tried COG, have run Decibel but its overtly bright with quite a hard edge to the presentation. I don't think you should have to pay $130 to get decent playback TBH on a Mac.

Give COG a whirl, it's smooth and neutral and it really shows up the import / recording for what it is. Sadly it's no longer being developed, but the final version is very good. Go for the unstable version though, it's perfectly stable. I've gone though the code and there's little to make it unstable. Great sound anyway, and a fully non-aliasing volume control which is nice.

You might want to download SoundFlower and AU Lab, both of these combined really make full use of OSX audio. AU Lab requires you to be a registered developer, but if you want it PM me as I am one. ;)

I will sit down and write a full run down of SF/AUL, but my time is tight so I'll have to fit it in when possible (and not drunk).

You're spot on the money though NRG, the best OSX audio is available without any, or little, outlay.

Filterlab
01-11-2012, 16:37
Fidelia sounded just as good (around £45), but I couldn't get on with the interface.

I've used Cog for a long time, but I find it's pretty awkward for managing large libraries.

I've not tried Fidelia, but I might have a go.

COG certainly does take some manual intervention for library management, saying that I have 100s of gigs of music on my drives and I have no problem, but it's nothing like iTunes for auto-completing artist information. A lot of the time my slightly diverse collection has come up with 'Unknown Artist', but I do like typing so it's no biggy. :)

I flit between XLD (recommended by you IIRC) and MAX, but MAX is my current fave as it allows 32bit importing - a resolution I can maintain throughout the entire playback chain (thanks to the frankly superb sound card in the Mac mini), up until the DAC anyway.

AlfaGTV
01-11-2012, 19:16
Abandon iTunes and it's digital faff, go for something proper. :)

Amazing how we can value a product so differently! For me it is the best audio playback software ever! Nothing comes even close imo. :)

Each to his/her own i s'pose! :D

Regards
/Mike

Filterlab
02-11-2012, 17:44
Amazing how we can value a product so differently! For me it is the best audio playback software ever! Nothing comes even close imo. :)

Each to his/her own i s'pose! :D

Regards
/Mike

But have you tried dedicated audiophile import and playback applications and compared them to iTunes? Until you have you won't know what else is out there. However, if you're happy with iTunes then stick with it! :)

AlfaGTV
03-11-2012, 20:05
I use iTunes for what it is, a music library tool! :) For playback i have added Amarra with it's enhanced options and clearly enhanced audio. Still use Apple Remote for controlling playback from my iPad/iPhone. And ripping is of course done using XLD or sometimes Exact Audio Copy on a PC.
All files (AIFF & FLAC) stored on a NAS and used for several different renderers.

Regards Mike