PDA

View Full Version : Question about computer

Spectral Morn
24-02-2009, 09:48
I have heard and read that your PC stores lots of useless data each time you do anything,ie surf the net etc. I have also heard that this data can slow your PC up quite a lot and by permanently deleting/removing it (Is that possible ?), it can make things go faster.

Is this true ? If it is, what FREE Software would you recommend to do this. Also I have heard about Defraqing. I think thats about healing spaces in the HD...Yes ? Is there good FREE soft ware to do this as well ?

Is there anything else thats FREE, thats worth having other than Anti Virus/Fire walls/cookie strippers that I already have. You guys know more than I, so please feel free to share info.

I assume ?That the above software has safe guards to prevent loss of data you want to keep.

This Soft ware would need to be easy to use and idiot proof (I.e me proof).

Regards D S D L----Neil

Mike
24-02-2009, 10:12
Hi Neil,

'Defrag' is built into windows, you do not need any third party software for this, use 'disk cleanup' first. Both can be found (assuming XP) Start -> Accessories -> System tools.

Good anti malware stuff is plentiful, for free ones look at 'spybot' and 'malwarebytes' for example.

For anti virus I find AVG8(free version) pretty good.

All will help keep your PC running smoothly.

Spectral Morn
24-02-2009, 10:19
Hi Neil,

'Defrag' is built into windows, you do not need any third party software for this, use 'disk cleanup' first. Both can be found (assuming XP) Start -> Accessories -> System tools.

Good anti malware stuff is plentiful, for free ones look at 'spybot' and 'malwarebytes' for example.

For anti virus I find AVG8(free version) pretty good.

All will help keep your PC running smoothly.

HI Mike

I have most of the above. However from what I have read (and you must bear in mind I don't know masses about this ) every time you do anything your PC/Mac makes a note of it. This extra useless data can and does slow your PC down. Its a mirror image if you like. Everything you delete is not in fact gone and can be recovered. There are Free and Pay software that states it can remove this useless/discarded data...is this true ? And by removing it speed your Pc up more . Is this BS. This is all news to me....however basic PC info is usually news to me.

Oh yes they also site personal info can be got too....transactions on e-bay, Amazon, personal banking....your PC records all of this and it can be hi-jacked by any third party...hackers etc. Scary stuff...but is it true ?

Regards D S D L---Neil :)

Ali Tait
24-02-2009, 10:24
I think you are referring to cookies.

Filterlab
24-02-2009, 10:27
Try CCleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com/), it's free and exceptionally efficient.

Spectral Morn
24-02-2009, 10:29
I think you are referring to cookies.

HI ali

No I know about those...easy to sort out...with Spybot (though it takes two hours to scan through my PC). No this data is everything you do is stored and that data takes up space on the HD etc and this data can be deleted files etc...all of this slows you down....apparently. I don't really know what I am talking about :scratch:. Thats why I am asking the question here...as you guys were very helpful awhile ago on another Pc related matter.

I don't want to be ripped off or load something into the PC I don't actually need.

Regards D S D L---Neil

Filterlab
24-02-2009, 10:34
Definitely try CCleaner - it removes everything, even unnecessary files attached to applications (like viruses). :)

Spectral Morn
24-02-2009, 10:34
Try CCleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com/), it's free and exceptionally efficient.

Ah that could be one of them..... The aspect which interests me is the speeding up your pc.....nothing else.

One aspect that worries me is this PC has belonged to two people before I got it. And there is no doubt a lot of crap that may have been deleted by them but not cleaned up...

Regards D S D L----Neil

Filterlab
24-02-2009, 10:37
Yep, it really helps as it removes all sorts of flannel. I run mine weekly on my works computer and it takes care of everything. You can combine it with Defraggler (http://www.defraggler.com/) which is made by the same people - it's by far more efficient than the built in defrag software.

Spectral Morn
24-02-2009, 10:45
Yep, it really helps as it removes all sorts of flannel. I run mine weekly on my works computer and it takes care of everything. You can combine it with Defraggler (http://www.defraggler.com/) which is made by the same people - it's by far more efficient than the built in defrag software.

CCleaner seems to be similar to the above links but is it ? I just don't know Rob what do you think ?

Am I being paranoid for nothing ?

Regards D S D L----Neil

DSJR
24-02-2009, 10:47
For nowt (I'm p**s poor these days) I use PCTools firewall (needs setting up if you have a home network) and am trying out their free anti-virus, as AVG slows the old office PC down too much (it's good though).

I'd second the recommendation for CCleaner. It's brilliant at getting rid of most files and the registry cleaner asks you to back up changes made, so you can re-instate these removed files if something goes wrong.

For more thorough cleaning, I use BC Wipe from jetico. Another free one, you can get it to wipe ALL the stored history files (including "favourites" if you're not careful with the tick boxes) and this is very thorough indeed, usually needing a re-boot (or fresh log-on at least) to do it all.

Don't use too many cleaners though and ALWAYS take backups first, as you'll end up with a wrecked registry otherwise (been there too often..........;))

Filterlab
24-02-2009, 10:50
CCleaner seems to be similar to the above links but is it ? I just don't know Rob what do you think ?

Am I being paranoid for nothing ?

Regards D S D L----Neil

I'd say yes, you are being paranoid for nothing. ;) :lol: These companies make a variety of programs, some similar to each other, so as people are searching for alternatives they have a greater chance of getting their product used. Try both CCleaner and Defraggler - they're free and they work.

DSJR
24-02-2009, 11:02
P.S.

When installing CCleaner, check the individual windows and clear the Google/Yahoo tool-bar check box if you don't need it. It's easy to remove after if you don't want it, however. Otherwise, it seems safe enough IMO.

Spectral Morn
24-02-2009, 11:03
For nowt (I'm p**s poor these days) I use PCTools firewall (needs setting up if you have a home network) and am trying out their free anti-virus, as AVG slows the old office PC down too much (it's good though).

I'd second the recommendation for CCleaner. It's brilliant at getting rid of most files and the registry cleaner asks you to back up changes made, so you can re-instate these removed files if something goes wrong.

For more thorough cleaning, I use BC Wipe from jetico. Another free one, you can get it to wipe ALL the stored history files (including "favourites" if you're not careful with the tick boxes) and this is very thorough indeed, usually needing a re-boot (or fresh log-on at least) to do it all.

Don't use too many cleaners though and ALWAYS take backups first, as you'll end up with a wrecked registry otherwise (been there too often..........;))

I am now worried....if I use ccleaner can I stuff up my PC ? What do I need to watch out for ? What is a registry ? You can see i know very little about this . BUT I WANT TO LEARN....

Regards D S D L---Neil

Filterlab
24-02-2009, 11:35
No, you won't stuff up your PC. Just install it and have a go with it, the default settings will clear the junk and the extra check boxes are application specific. Check the boxes if you have the application, don't bother if you don't. :)

foxysounds
24-02-2009, 12:46
If you're concerned about the proclivities of the original owner of the PC then the only really safe option is to format the hard disc and reinstall the OS from scratch. This is actually not that hard to do once you get used to it but you'll need someone experienced to hold your hand the first time :)

You also need to ensure that you have the original OS discs (and a legal licence) and also all drivers for your hardware before you start, along with backups of any data you want to keep.

Failing that, defragging can speed up your system but it really only makes a big difference if your hard disc is badly fragmented in the first place.

In general, unless your hard-disc is thrashing because it's almost full or because it's badly fragmented, speed increases are much easier to achieve through upgrades (extra or faster RAM, faster discs, faster processor etc).

What OS are you running, how full is your HDD and how much RAM do you have?

Regards,

Simon.

Filterlab
24-02-2009, 13:21
If you are really worried about PC ownership then you could always try an Apple. It's easier to migrate from MS to Mac than a lot of people believe and you leave behind all the viruses and stuff. Thing is though the prices are comparatively high so it depends what you use your computer for and how much you use it.

Spectral Morn
24-02-2009, 22:31
Hi Guys

Filterlab....Rob thanks CCleaner has worked and everything seems okay...oh my what a pile of dung...used the Analyze facility and what was on it, in terms of quantity was crazy. PC does seem to be working much better.

I downloaded the defraggler too.

A big thumbs up for this freeware...:)

Regards D S D L----Neil :)

Tolstoi
26-02-2009, 19:11
Hi Neil,
if you surf the web, cookies are stored, which can be cleared if you wish and you can decide which ones you want to keep, for instance this forum. Each browser has something called cache which stores the sites you use so that they can be loaded faster when visiting them again. That's why news sites recommend to refresh the content to avoid reading old news. This cache can be deleted as well. I clear the cookies and the cache daily because surfing today with all those images on the web can really make up some MB. Using Firefox you can just clear everything in the preferences settings. With IE I've heard it's also the temporary items folder, but I'm not sure with this one because I don't use it.

Regards

Joerg

sanchezxxx
26-02-2009, 20:52
I must second the rec for CCleaner. It is fantastic. In conjunction try the nocode plugin for firefox if you are worried about malware etc...

Filterlab
27-02-2009, 11:00
Filterlab....Rob thanks CCleaner has worked and everything seems okay...oh my what a pile of dung...used the Analyze facility and what was on it, in terms of quantity was crazy. PC does seem to be working much better.

I downloaded the defraggler too.

A big thumbs up for this freeware...:)

Excellent news Neil. ;)

keeper
06-04-2009, 20:29
Of course the easy answer is use a MAC.............

Spectral Morn
06-04-2009, 21:58
Of course the easy answer is use a MAC.............

:lol::lol::lol::lol: If you can afford one and I can't.

Regards D S D L

Haselsh1
07-04-2009, 07:54
You don't really need a MAC you just need a good housekeeping regime.

Beechwoods
07-04-2009, 19:28
It's a Mac not a MAC ;)

Anyway, each their own... while a Mac is definitely* something I would recommend someone looking for a new 'puter the cheapest route to computer nirvana is obviously to sort out the one you've already got :lol:

* Full disclosure... 3 Macs + Apple TV + Newton ;)