PDA

View Full Version : Lottery Winners Tonearm Cable

RobbieGong
20-10-2012, 14:26
Spotted this http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?lookup=0&region=UK&currency=GBP&pf_id=2237&customer_id=PAA2075104912736YWPYTMDBDBSPMTEN and nearly fell off the chair :eek:. I have the Yannis 423.5 tonearm cable on order and have heard it is a seriously good high quality tonearm cable indeed and at a fraction of what this costs. Is it me or does this cable warrant it's whopping price tag ?

prestonchipfryer
20-10-2012, 16:46
Is it me or does this cable warrant it's whopping price tag ?

Must be you. How can it be worth it? Overpriced IMO.

RobbieGong
20-10-2012, 18:19
Must be you. How can it be worth it? Overpriced IMO.

Exactly my feelings, cant see why it would have to cost that to be a high quality 'audiophile' tonearm cable :scratch: :mental:

Wakefield Turntables
20-10-2012, 18:31
Spotted this http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?lookup=0&region=UK&currency=GBP&pf_id=2237&customer_id=PAA2075104912736YWPYTMDBDBSPMTEN and nearly fell off the chair :eek:. I have the Yannis 423.5 tonearm cable on order and have heard it is a seriously good high quality tonearm cable indeed and at a fraction of what this costs. Is it me or does this cable warrant it's whopping price tag ?

Thats more expensive than my TYR tonearm cable, and thats saying something!

Audioman
21-10-2012, 11:22
The upmarket Kimber cables are vey expensive. I believe MartinT has some select interconnects so is in a better position than me to tell you if they provide sufficient benefits over the cheaper Kimber products. I do think RA is taking the piss out of his customers as he sells direct to the public at retail prices and so must be making a large profit on these. These look expensive even in the context of other cables he sells in this range.

These probably would make sense on something like the Spiralgroove TT and arm at £23K + 5K though I am sure there is better sounding cable for the money or much less out there.

Marco
21-10-2012, 11:31
It's overpriced bobbins, made for pretentious 'key janglers'... First of all, they've fitted the sonically inferior WBT 0102ags (0110ag is sonically superior, due to having less metal in its construction), and an el-cheapo SME DIN connector!

I strongly suspect that the Yannis tonearm cable others and I are using here would piss all over it, for a mere FRACTION of the price ;)

Marco.

Audioman
21-10-2012, 11:51
It's overpriced bobbins, made for pretentious 'key janglers'... First of all, they've fitted the sonically inferior WBT 0102ags (0110ag is sonically superior, due to having less metal in its construction), and an el-cheapo SME DIN connector!

I strongly suspect that the Yannis tonearm cable others and I are using here would piss all over it, for a mere FRACTION of the price ;)

Marco.

Marco.

Agree. RA should not be skimping on quality of components at this price. Also silver is expensive but not necessarily better. When Silver Streak was the best cable 12 or 13 years ago and cables were generaly under £200 the range made sense and reasonable value. I think they keep inventing more expensive upgrades for customers hooked on the RA catalogue so they can keep trading up making Russ a rich man.

Frankly still receive the catalogue only for entertaining reading these days and a good laugh at some of the ridiculous technological claims made on the recent products especialy the ultra expensive mains cables. As I said he is now taking the piss.

Paul.

Daniel75
21-10-2012, 12:48
Frankly still receive the catalogue only for entertaining reading these days and a good laugh at some of the ridiculous technological claims made on the recent products especialy the ultra expensive mains cables. As I said he is now taking the piss.

Paul.

so true

Our listening tests showed that singers seem to perform with much more expression, musicians play ‘better’ and you get much more of a sense of the musical message

:lol:

bernie1
21-10-2012, 15:45
IMHO, This kind of sheer greed is going to kill Hi-Fi in the long run, excessive dealer mark ups like this are totally unjustified!:(

Macca
21-10-2012, 15:58
The price is only too high if no-one is buying.

twickers
21-10-2012, 16:04
I think RA is the sole distributor of kimber cable in the uk so there is no competition. It doesn't seem that long ago when the powerkords where good value and they've nearly doubled price wise.

MCRU
21-10-2012, 16:23
this is better

sells for £3156.00 and comes fitted with a £20 waterproof industrial mains plug, un-plated

now where is the sense in that?

http://www.russandrews.com/images/products/1564l.jpg

RobbieGong
21-10-2012, 17:56
this is better

sells for £3156.00 and comes fitted with a £20 waterproof industrial mains plug, un-plated

now where is the sense in that?

http://www.russandrews.com/images/products/1564l.jpg

Made for ridiculously wealthy suckers, (With a heck of a lot more money than sense) cause there's one born every minute according to research (and dont these manufacturers just know it !! :lol:

Marco
21-10-2012, 18:12
When you crack open the wooden testicle covers, there's a bit of paper inside which says:

"SUCKER!!!" :ner: :ner: :upyours: :upyours:

Marco.

Audioman
21-10-2012, 19:09
When you crack open the wooden testicle covers, there's a bit of paper inside which says:

Marco.

LOL. Actualy there are these disc things with strands of the cable soldered to them. Now this surely is bollocks as more solder joints are going to make it sound worse.

Paul.

RobbieGong
21-10-2012, 19:09

Marco.

:lol:

RobbieGong
21-10-2012, 19:12
Yeah ! The testicle covers are subliminal and look like bollocks because to pay that is absolute bollocks !! :lol:

Mike g
21-10-2012, 19:39
Can I ask a stooppid question. Who is Yannis and does he have a website??? Sounds interesting...

RobbieGong
21-10-2012, 20:34
In a nut shell, Yannis is a very nice guy indeed who makes seriously good tonearm cables and interconnects etc at real world prices - items that out perform others costing way more. See link below of previous related posts. A fair bit to read as you seem to have missed it but well worth the time. :)
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17071

chelsea
21-10-2012, 20:37
More than i'd pay for a whole system.

Marco
21-10-2012, 21:21
Can I ask a stooppid question. Who is Yannis and does he have a website??? Sounds interesting...

Hi Mike,

Here ya go: http://www.back-promo.co.uk/html/intro.html

His stuff is simply amazing and puts to shame the ludicrously overpriced bullshite from RA. His products also encapsulate, perfectly, the AoS ethos of championing SPPV!

Marco.

MartinT
21-10-2012, 21:57
I believe MartinT has some select interconnects so is in a better position than me to tell you if they provide sufficient benefits over the cheaper Kimber products.

I had Kimber Select interconnects, but no more. You're right that they were better than the cheaper Kimber products, however the Yannis 223.5 silver cables with good connectors are substantially better sounding than the Selects at greatly lower prices.

Tarzan
22-10-2012, 09:30
Hi Mike,

Here ya go: http://www.back-promo.co.uk/html/intro.html

His stuff is simply amazing and puts to shame the ludicrously overpriced bullshite from RA. His products also encapsulate, perfectly, the AoS ethos of championing SPPV!

Marco.

Amen brother, SSPV is my audio mantra.

prestonchipfryer
22-10-2012, 10:17
RA overpriced?! Criminal more like. No excuse, it's bloody shameful.