PDA

View Full Version : How immune are balanced connection?

Nevalti
20-10-2012, 10:43
My speaker wires run through a 25mm conduit from one side of the room to the other with the amp 'outside' the speakers. i.e. Left speaker - gap - Right speaker - amp. Less than ideal but a satisfactory domestic compromise.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/j5b71skomu27ng7/Bi-amp%20layout.jpg
I now wish to bi-amp and put the new amp to the left of the left speaker. I can easily do that by 'vertical' bi-amping with one amp for each speaker with the interconnect running through the conduit BUT that means I have to use identical amps and mix HF & LF in each amp.

For 'horizontal' bi-amping I would have to run the speaker wires PLUS a balanced interconnect through the same 25mm conduit so all wires would be in close proximity.

Theoretically, the balanced connector would not pick up interference BUT, what is likely to happen in practice?

DSJR
20-10-2012, 12:06
Nothing at all methinks :) How do you think studios manage, with wires laying all over the place. I very much doubt the proximity or otherwise of even mains cables and interconnects worries them unduly, especially as many musicians' keyboards etc are single ended at line level I believe (where's Lodgesound when you need him?)

If the cables are of pretty good quality, differences in length make little to no difference I find. You'd get a FAR bigger difference moving the speaker a few inches either way, put it that way.......

Hope this helps a bit.

For reasonably cheap recommended "studio grade" wires, look at the Klotz range. They do a superb double shielded single core (AC110) and a range (different colours?) of two inner core "mic" cables suitable for balanced use. This firm's products are used a lot in studio and touring situations I understand because they are good, durable and publish their specs which many other makes don't do. Slightly more expensive than Van Damme, but maybe slightly better for purpose?????

Barry
21-10-2012, 00:08
I agree with Dave,

You are worrying unecessarily.

The Grand Wazoo
21-10-2012, 01:04
It shouldn't be a problem, I've done exactly as you describe in bi-amping my system in the house we were in before this one.
When I laid the new hearth in the fireplace, I set a pipe into it so that I could feed cables through. I had interconnects and speaker cables running parallel & in close proximity to each other - it was fine. I never had the slightest bit of a problem with noise - even though the pre to power interconnect was well over 12 metres long (preamp at one end of a 24' room & power amps at the other).

Go for it - what's the worst that can happen?

Nevalti
21-10-2012, 08:52
Many thanks for your reassurance gentlemen and for the suggestion of Klotz cables - I had never heard of them.

As for the question, 'what's the worst that can happen?' .... Maybe a couple of thousand pounds or losing an argument with my wife about running cables over the carpet again ;)