PDA

View Full Version : My First Reel To Reel - Any Suggestions?

Beechwoods
23-02-2009, 20:17
Reposted from a thread lost in the recent database restore...

Hopefully we'll be able to get this thread moving again!

I googled Beechwoods reel to reel and look where it's taken me
I'd love a Nagra but sadly my budget is never likely to run that far.
Can anyone help? I'm a complete newbie to reel to reel who would like a reasonably small player at a good price on ebay, which I could make some nice stereo recordings on and play back a few old reels recorded by my father-in-law off the radio in the early 1960s?
What names should I look out for and should I have a minimum requirement?
Any help would be really appreciated.
Neon

Hi Neon. It's good to have another reel to reel fan here :eyebrows:

My preference is for the Pioneer units (701, 707, 901, 909) though these tend to command reasonable prices on eBay. Akai players are well regarded (especially the ones with 'GX' Glass coated heads) - you may pick up a bargain GX model if you're canny. The Sony TC-377 often goes for under £100 and is a very decent entry-level deck, capable of very nice recordings, and good playback with the right tape - though I feel old tape is more of a challenge for mine, in terms of fidelity. The Sony is a big bulky mind you.
Lodgesound and Pulsestudio on here may have some other thoughts. Check out their Gallery postings for some ideas.

If you're up for it you may want to say hello in the 'Welcome' forum and say a little about your system and what music you like ;)

Thanks Beechwoods :smoking:

I have honed in on your sub £100 comment and started ebaying. It immediately brought up this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sony-3-Head-Reel-to-Reel-Tape-Recorder-Model-TC-377_W0QQitemZ160317363696QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Con sumer_VintageAudio_RL?hash=item160317363696&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318

- the worry, of course, is that it will not work properly but it does look rather nice. There's always the bootfair season coming up as well.

Are faulty reel to reels likely to chew tapes in the same way that cassette decks commonly do?

I'll have a think about how to describe my system - thanks for the tip. On the music front I'm rather partial to a bit of early Pink Floyd and Soft Machine.
Neon

The most likely thing wrong with this, is that the belt has snapped. The Sony is a 1 motor machine, and relies upon pulleys and belts to transmit the power around. The belt went on mine, and though I had it serviced professionally at the time, I'd have no qualms about doing the work myself these days. It really isn't difficult. And belts are easily available too.
Reel to reels very rarely chew tapes, especially if you ensure the rubber capstan pads are cleaned with isopropyl alcohol (cleaning is important when playing old tapes as they do shed, and often a lot worse than 30 year old cassette tape). Bad edits on tapes are more likely to cause the tape to slip out of the proper tape path, but any subsequent wrinkling is rarely audible, due to the width of the playback heads and tape. I've seen quite mangled tape pass across reel to reel tape heads without any indication of a problem at all. Reel to reel tape is very resilient in my experience.

Good taste in music, by the way Have you heard the latest Soft Machine archive release 'Drop' - German tour, Autumn 1971. Excellent stuff with the 'rare' Phil Howard on drums lineup. The free-est of the 'free jazz' era Soft Machine lineups. Howard and Elton Dean had real synergy.

I'd always go for a Revox, preferably a B77, as A77's can have crumbling presets and the electronics aren't as good in standard form.

The Akai 4000DS is a hideous, hissy electronics pile of poo, but so many were sold they have an undeserved reputation IMO.

The Sony 377 has an idler-driven flywheel and belt driven hubs. The performance creamed the Akai on direct comparison, but neither are as good as a later Nakamichi - owned good samples of each ad compared....

I'd say any of the cheaper low speed machine (7.5 IPS or under) is inferior to a good Nak on Chrome or Metal tape to be honest. At least a good working A77 or any B77 with good heads will still make good recordings and you can't beat those 10.5" reels spinning away.

With more experience, I'd say a later Ferrograph with fresh idlers is a good thing - the Logic 7 was a goodie.

Tandbergs sound good too, but I have bad memories of a fast winding TD20A shredding a tape - an edit broke...

The technics 1500 was very blingy, but did and still does the job.

If you want to play back some old tapes, first thing is that you have to find out what track configuration and speed they have been recorded with.

Track configuration on 1/4" tape width can be full track, half track, quarter track, four track and 8 track. Again with half track it can be staggered, in line, Ampex gap, time coded and other non-standard configurations.

Speed can be 30ips, 15ips, 7,5ips, 3 3/4ips, 1 7/8ips and even slower if it's been recorded on a logging machine.

Speeds also are measured in cm/s on some machines.

Expect most R2R's from ePay to be faulty.
Calculate a service on top of the price unless you closely know the seller and the way he (ab)used his deck.

GX heads last very long but don't have the sonical qualities of some other head materials.

Understand the difference between consumer decks, semi-pro decks (J-decks) and dedicated pro decks.

Sonic, build and service-accessibility is most usually all better quality on real pro studio, master and editing decks.

Pro Reporter decks don't have to be better in sonics but should still be very sturdy built and have easy service access.

Pro decks will usually have been modular built, have printed circuit boards as insert cards, all allignment points taken to the surface, logic/relay operation, real-time counters, fully balanced circuits etc.

From new, some pro decks would have costet from $~4.500 - ~$25.000,-

The difference in price between consumer decks and semi-pro decks and the true pro decks was huge.
However, on the used market the price differences are not that huge anymore.

Some decks in pro use are worn all the way down from 24/7 use.

Some consumer decks have a great sound quality as well, close to the good pro decks.
But some consumer decks are collectors items more because of their looks or scarcity.

One manufacturer, Otari, is still marketing Pro R2R decks in the very cheap end of the pro
market.

These machines has become very popular now.

You mentioned a Nagra in your OP.
Most Nagra decks are reporter decks.

The Nagra T is a studio deck.
It will be very expensive to purchase.
It's a very sought after collectors Item and an ingeneering piece of art.

Some other pro decks will be preferred for the sonics though.

Very few pro decks are quarter tracks.
I suspect that your prerecorded tapes being quarter track tapes.

I have been using R2R continuously since the 60's and I have been using a lot of machines for reporting, for master recordings, for broadcasting, for logging, for private use, for high end audio on exhibitions etc.

I will be happy to answer what questions you might have further on the subject.

"dolph"

DSJR
23-02-2009, 20:26
I still feel the same about my recommendation of Revox B77 (or good "A" at a pinch). They're cheap now, consistent, reliable usually, spares and service is still ok I believe and so many records from the seventies were mastered or even recorded onto them. With an external mixer, the Pro 99 machines may be worth a look if they haven't been shagged to death professionally.

PLEASE avoid the Akai 4000DS and Sony TC377 type machines unless it's to collect.....

Other rare ones like the Revox A700 are silly money now, but to see a good one in operation, especially as the tension arms swung back and forth on play being selected (I never played with real pro machines sadly, so these little things please my little mind.....;))

Beechwoods
23-02-2009, 20:29
I came across a Teac X-7 R Mk II the other day. Looked like a nice machine. 4 track, Quarter inch, decent specs. Early 80's, looks like a pro-unit to be honest. I'm not familiar with them though. Does anyone have a view on here?

http://www.vintage-audio.com.ua/en/cat/96/431.html

Beechwoods
23-02-2009, 20:32
There's a 377 at a shop near me, nice looking, but £250! I wouldn't rate them that highly, but nice ones can be picked up for around the £75 mark, and they are easy to service.

I found I wanted to upgrade not long after getting my 377 though, and I'm starting to think that my Tandberg is the best all-rounder I've got. Though the Pioneer has the edge in terms of top end on 3¾ips tapes.

DSJR
23-02-2009, 20:35
Which Tandberg do you have? I liked the basic qualities of the TD20A, but, as I said earlier somewhere, a tape with splices in which played effortlessly on the various Revoxes we had (and Ferrographs and the technics 1500) almost shredded itself on our 20A on first fast winding - the reels just kept going round at gawd knows what rpm.....

Beechwoods
23-02-2009, 20:45
Mines a TD-20A. It sounds like the autostop on that one was faulty :confused: My Pioneer (RT-707) has the best transport I've seen so far, imo. A friend's Revox B77 kept slipping one particular tape, but the Pioneer was rock-solid...

neonknight
23-02-2009, 21:02
Thanks for all your advice :) I have been taking a look round today and it appears that my minimum budget will need to be around £150 for something that will not feel like a compromise. Is that so or is there a clever bargain to be had somewhere? I'm not sure whether to hold out.

Neon

Beechwoods
23-02-2009, 21:20
The clever bargain is to be found through personal contacts. My Tandberg was a gift from a friend (on here, as it happens) though it needed a service which as Dolph says needs to be factored in.

I would hold out. Keep watching eBay, the free-sheets and the Forums.

I guess my main question for you is do you want something to transfer a few home-recorded archive tapes, or do you want a machine that will last you a long time ad give you a lot of 'hi-fi' pleasure?

I've got a feeling you want the latter, in which case welcome to the club :)

neonknight
23-02-2009, 22:34
I've got a feeling you want the latter, in which case welcome to the club :)

Yep - it's the latter!

Neon

Beechwoods
23-02-2009, 22:36
£150 it is then! Patience is the thing, and save some money later for a good service. Let's see what we can do...

Lodgesound
24-02-2009, 09:11
Hi Neon;

I have a Philips N4520 which might be looking for a good home at a modest price - it is a stereo quarter track 3 speed 3 motor machine - let me know if you are interested.

http://www.tonbandhobby.de/n4520.jpg

niklasthedolphin
24-02-2009, 10:51
Here's a few from ePay to look at:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=110355775263

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=200312675810

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220367217498

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=330309367518

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=290298148408

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=290298156783

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=230327284021

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=230326234100

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=280314379629

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=200311622758

A few are above your budget but absolutely worth mentioning anyway.

It seems like the eBay choise is not great right now.

Akai, Philips, Sony and a lot of other brands only made a very few models worth going for.
The rest of their production lines are very uninteresting.

However, your budget is low.
You might need to compromise a lot.

With patience you can be lucky........................

"dolph"

neonknight
24-02-2009, 13:20
Thanks dolph and everybody else,

I look forward having a good browse. The links don't work for me currently but I'm confident that it's just because of the PC I'm using.

If I go quiet for a while now it's because I have just put in an offer for a house by the sea, so had better concentrate on that. It's a 'dream' move that's been on the slow burn for 2 years. One of the nicest things about the new place if we get it is that we will have a spare room for me to set up all my equipment... and, of course, fill it with a few more purchases :eyebrows:

Neon

DSJR
24-02-2009, 17:04
Hi Neon;

I have a Philips N4520 which might be looking for a good home at a modest price - it is a stereo quarter track 3 speed 3 motor machine - let me know if you are interested.

http://www.tonbandhobby.de/n4520.jpg

You mean it still works???????:lol::doh:

The old Philips machines were very good, but SOOOO frail as I recall. Same for their better turntables and video machines (I have not so fond memories of the "Charly" video mech, with glass re-inforced nylon parts, horrid loading/unloading noises and so esasily damaged - great pic and sound though - when it worked...).

Beechwoods
25-02-2009, 06:54
I have just put in an offer for a house by the sea, so had better concentrate on that. It's a 'dream' move that's been on the slow burn for 2 years. One of the nicest things about the new place if we get it is that we will have a spare room for me to set up all my equipment...

Good luck Neon. It sounds fantastic. Are you waiting confirmation of the space before you invest?

In celebration here's a little quote from our friends XTC, and 'Bungalow' off Nonsuch from '89. I love the sentiment in this song :)

Bungalow... Bungalow
By the sea... Bungalow
In the sea air,
Climbing rose,
Time to spare,
Luxury accommodation traps the sun
So we're working every hour that God made
So we can fly away
Saving it all up for you bungalow
Standing prime position for the town
Working for a vision through this life
So we can fly away bungalow
Bungalow... You wait and see

neonknight
25-02-2009, 12:59
Good luck Neon. It sounds fantastic. Are you waiting confirmation of the space before you invest?

Nice one! I'll get a good-sized room, the offer's in and we currently appear to be only a small distance away from agreeing a price, so my fingers are tightly crossed. :eyebrows:

Neon

The Grand Wazoo
16-01-2011, 23:45
From The Grave
Who else knows a bit about the best way to dip your toes in the R:R waters? Any tips?

Rare Bird
17-01-2011, 00:48
Pick a machine where you can get tons of spares floating about & reel service: Revox.

Welder
17-01-2011, 01:04
We use one of these to record the band.
Otari MX5050

A lot depends on whether you want an antique or a professional machine :eyebrows:

Rare Bird
17-01-2011, 01:13
Well if were talking sex machines Studer A80, for home use tho Revox B77 or even a PR99 should be easy enough to source parts quick if need be

Analog Addict
22-01-2011, 20:38
Well if were talking sex machines Studer A80, for home use tho Revox B77 or even a PR99 should be easy enough to source parts quick if need be

I agree with Andre. I bought an ASC converted PR99 at a bargain price and converted it back to standard spec; the parts are available worldwide and can be quite cheap if you shop around. I've also got a couple of Akai's, Sony's & a Teac that I bought for the spools, but the only time anything other than the Revox gets played is when I need to play at a slower speed. A word of caution, Sony ferrite heads from the likes of the TC 377/399 are virtually unobtainable.