PDA

View Full Version : Album Club - Week 63: 16.10.2012: Peter Bruntnell – ‘Normal For Bridgwater' (1999)

The Grand Wazoo
16-10-2012, 12:36
Peter Bruntnell – ‘Normal For Bridgwater' (1999)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/515ZDW0--xL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Play it on Spotify if you have an account:

http://open.spotify.com/album/3ahmK1Wu7AyBaAKcydOcv7

Play it on Grooveshark if you don't:
Peter Bruntnell – ‘Normal For Bridgewater' (http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Normal+For+Bridgewater/4238501)

Wikipedia Link: Peter Bruntnell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Bruntnell )

VOTING - please note that as well as the normal marks out of ten, this time there's the chance to tell us if you already know this album or not, so first select A or B and then select your vote out of ten

I suspect that not many fellow AoS'ers will know this record – I could be wrong though. I've always liked to recommend it to everyone who'll listen to me go on about it – it's great and I hope you'll like it too.

'Normal For Bridgwater' was Peter Bruntnell's third album, for most of us who know him, it was our first introduction to his work. And what an introduction it was! I don't think any of his other work (good, though it is) comes close to the brilliance of this record. I've played it to death since I first heard it in the year of its release and I have never tired of the contents.

Some folks know that I shy away from the use of labelling music by putting it into genre pigeon-holes and please don't be put off by the fact that others have put this into the Americana/alt-country category if you don't think you like that type of music – this is just great songwriting and musicianship.

Here's what Amazon say about it:
The much-rated English songwriter's rustic-flavoured powerpop gem made it into several publication's "Best Of 99" lists, and rightly so. Recorded by his full-time band with Eric Heywood and Dave Boquist from alt. country masters Son Volt sitting in, it's quite probably the best record of its genre from this side of the pond. As song titles like "By The Time My Head Gets To Phoenix" and "Jurassic Parking Lot" suggest, Bruntnell has an eye for extraordinary incidents but manages to weld these outlandish stories onto everyday emotions of love, grief and longing. Married to the lyrical iridescence are sound musicianship and a library of hooks that make upbeat songs like "Jurassic" and "You Won't Find Me" inextinguishable from the memory, while elsewhere he shows a canny knack of capturing a wistful slowness and even bluegrass sensibilities.--Tim Perry

Some more recommendations:
"Bruntnell has a remarkable knack for turning out big, dreamy, melodic, memorable songs" - Mojo

"His songs are warm and beautifully radiant" - Uncut

"One of the finest songwriters in Britain" - The Independent

"His songs should be taught in schools" - NME

"One of England's best kept musical secrets" - Rolling Stone

Here's what Brunters himself says about some of the songs on the album:
(from http://www.triste.co.uk/bruntnell.htm)

'Handful of Stars'
We wrote that in Canada in a cabin and we were alcoholically poisoned and feeling depressed basically. Not terribly depressed, just low and it's a native American story. It's just about feeling low.

'You Won't Find Me'
Peter Bruntnell: It's a suicide song. Full stop.

'Normal For Bridgwater'
A friend of mine lived in Bridgwater......She was telling me how she didn't like it there and even the doctors diagnose the odd in-bred person as NFB (Normal For Bridgwater) and I just thought what a good little title. My best friend killed himself so a lot of this record is influenced by it and that's another suicide song basically. ….. It's about disappearing.

'By The Time My Head Gets To Phoenix'
….a semi-quote from the Jimmy Webb song of similar title.
Phoenix is where the cryogenic tanks are - the body freezing things. The people in England who want to subscribe to that can't afford to send their bodies, so they cut their heads off.

'Jurassic Parking Lot'
….....is about the Bomax sign in Vancouver it's the biggest neon sign in North America. When I was there they were just about to dismantle it and that was a big landmark and not many people were happy about losing the big signs. I try and write about what I find interesting.

'Outlaw (May The Sun Always Shine)'
I wrote that with Randy Bachman from Bachman Turner Overdrive and I made it specific to a friend of mine who got busted for growing his own pot. I know Randy might not be too happy about that as he doesn't smoke pot or drink no more, but I really like the song. He came up with the line may the sun always shine which is the pivot of the song. It's like with Bill Ritchie if you find the right person to write with it can be a great help.

I commend this record to the house - give it a whirl, I reckon you'll like it.

John
16-10-2012, 16:34
Not heard it before so looking forward to hearing this

Tim
16-10-2012, 17:49
Good shout Chris indeed :)

I shall comment more later, as I'm literally in through the out door and just on my way to see Sam Baker.

John
16-10-2012, 18:00
A bit to commercial for me but can see where you coming from Chris

The Grand Wazoo
16-10-2012, 18:07
Not really your thing John, but he had a fantastic guitarist in his band for a while - James Walbourne

Audioman
17-10-2012, 10:57
OK but rather bland. Not my thing I'm afraid. 6/10

Tim
17-10-2012, 19:41
OK, landed back to a bit of normality after 3 nights of gigs!

Anyway, I think you know this is one of my favourites Chris as I'm a Brunters fan and have seen him live a number of times. I have 5 of his albums, but this eclipses them all for me. Not sure what my top tracks are, possibly N.F.B. and By the Time My Head Gets to Phoenix as I like the story he tells live about the Phoenix song.

I play this often so its well known and for me it gets a 10.

The Grand Wazoo
17-10-2012, 20:27
Those would be my favourites, along with 'Jurassic Parking Lot'. I really like the beginning of 'By The Time My Head Gets to Phoenix'.

Barry
17-10-2012, 22:12
Excellent: 10/10.

I have to thank Chris for providing me with a copy, otherwise it would have passed me by.

Thanks Chris

MartinT
18-10-2012, 06:17
I'd never listened to any Bruntnell before and I'm afraid nothing is really pulling me in. It sounds to me like so many other American middle of the road countrified rock acts. I dare say they are a lot better live than recorded. Sorry, but only 6/10 for me.

Ashmore
22-10-2012, 21:33
I'm with MartinT on this one I'm afraid. I've tried to like it, but you should only have to try so hard. 5/10

Bazil
24-10-2012, 09:16
This just washed over me and was unmemorable, would never play it again 4/10.

RichB
09-01-2013, 15:35
7 out of 10 for me. I cranked this one through my headphones on the train via spotify. Sounded very nice the first few tracks took me on a journey as I closed my eyes and felt the weak January sun on my face and imagined I was back in Florida. Lovely slide guitar sound on the second track and 'phoenix' is a definite highlight. It normally consider this a bit mainstream for my tastes but for the fact it took me somewhere else better than a smelly train on the outskirts of Birmingham then credit is due.