PDA

View Full Version : Odyssey

John Gordon
15-10-2012, 11:35
Hello to all.
I was proprietor of Odyssey Engineering, manufacturer of tonearms in the 80s/90s, and involved with Source turntables.

I'd thought that was all behind me, but over the past few years I've been sucked in to doing some refurbishments and repairs, as well as a few custom items for a couple of fans of the arm.

Because of the interest, I started blogs for both arm (odysseytonearms.blogspot.com) and turntable (thesourceturntable.blogspot.com)

Any pictures or mods anyone has, of deck or arms, would be welcome.
John

Audio Al
15-10-2012, 11:44
Hi John

Just had a quick look on your Blog

:doh: Unbelievable that people would steel these items

Stolen items
A chrome and anodised alloy arm, like the ones in the various posts in this blog, has been stolen in Barcelona.

In addition, a number of 12" arm tubes, two with universal headshell connector, three J shape and two straight 12", were taken. There were a couple of standard tubes and around ten old gold counterweights, 40 and 60gram.

If you hear of anyone selling these, could you let me know.

Welcome to the forum , look forward to reading your posts ;)

julesd68
15-10-2012, 12:20
hi John,

Great to see you on AOS! :)

If you haven't done so already, please check out my Source pix in The Gallery ...

Cheers.

hifi_dave
15-10-2012, 14:31
John,
You should have one of my customers visiting you soon, if he hsan't already.

hifi_dave
15-10-2012, 14:38
John,
You should have one of my customers visiting you soon, if he hsan't already.

julesd68
18-10-2012, 08:35
Hi John,

I've just sold my record weight and am not sure about replacing it - just wondering if you have ever used a record weight with the Source and are there any issues using one with a "bouncy" deck?

MartinT
18-10-2012, 08:54
Hello John and welcome to AoS :)

John Gordon
19-10-2012, 07:29
Hi Julian
I used to use a Michell clamp. But the issue here is whether the weight of the clamp affects the suspension. Given that the Source platter is so massy, adding a couple of hundred grams isn't going to make much difference - the suspension might sit a half mm lower.

So then the issue is whether the weight is in kilos.. If not, then it's all about whether it sounds better to you.

I liked the idea of a clamp, rather than a weight, because it removed the variable of record contact with the platter. All records were in the same state, so any differences were due to other factors, such as the mat.
But suck it and see, as they say.
John

nat8808
19-10-2012, 18:14
Hi John,

Nice to see you here primed to post.

I had a nice example of the source in black. I also had a gold-tubed Zeta too - they looked great together:

http://pic70.picturetrail.com:80/VOL1894/8521336/15835266/248758686.jpg

I currently do have this though (the arm has no wiring, could do with re-finishing) although it needs a PSU:

http://pic70.picturetrail.com:80/VOL1894/8521336/15835266/368680993.jpg

Lovely decks, superb quality feel.

The Grand Wazoo
20-10-2012, 10:26
I also had a gold-tubed Zeta too.......

I've got one of those - the first 20 had gold tubes.

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/6097/dscf3482q.jpg

DSJR
20-10-2012, 12:17
I wonder what modern mat technology would do for the Source's sonics?

Johnnie7
25-10-2012, 20:49
felt mat does it for me on this baby !!!:eyebrows:

chris@panteg
29-10-2012, 09:21
Hi John , I notice from your blog , you used a Concordant Excelsior back in the 90's , did you know Doug Dunlop at all ? He used a Source/Odyssey/ Decca , he loved it !

John Gordon
01-11-2012, 18:49
Hi Chris,
Yes, I knew Doug.
I didn't see much of him other than at exhibitions or talking on the phone. We swopped an arm for a preamp. I stayed over one time at his place, and had a listen to his system. He was a character, and he and Mike Moore were well matched.

I liked his pre - it was very listenable - in other words, like all good stuff, it didn't intrude, and that leads to listening to more music rather than to hifi equipment. The best systems make you want to listen to records, especially the ones you didn't think you'd ever listen to again...
John

chris@panteg
02-11-2012, 00:29
Hi Chris,
Yes, I knew Doug.
I didn't see much of him other than at exhibitions or talking on the phone. We swopped an arm for a preamp. I stayed over one time at his place, and had a listen to his system. He was a character, and he and Mike Moore were well matched.

I liked his pre - it was very listenable - in other words, like all good stuff, it didn't intrude, and that leads to listening to more music rather than to hifi equipment. The best systems make you want to listen to records, especially the ones you didn't think you'd ever listen to again...
John

Thanks John , it was a nice pre ! I bet he played 'whats new pussy cat ' by Tom Jones when you listened to his system ? He was truly a character , did he have those seventh veil speakers , when you were at his place ?