PDA

View Full Version : Orbe to SP10

esperowl
14-10-2012, 10:21
Hi, I use a Michelle Orbe (spider) and am considering a 2nd TT in the shape of a Panasonic-badged SP10. In your experience, what change in sound should I expect? Thankyou in advance. Chang.

StanleyB
14-10-2012, 10:35
It depends on the arm and cartridge that you intend to use. But given the choice I would rob the bank to pay for a SP10 and flog the Orbe. I found the SP10 to have a killer level of audio separation, dynamics, and very well controlled bass that extended very deep down. I haven't heard anything better than it in that respect.

NRG
14-10-2012, 10:53
...also the plinth the SP10 is mounted in will affect the presentation.

chris@panteg
14-10-2012, 11:10
A guy I know from the vinyl engine , has recently got his SP10mk2 plinthed in slate , mounted an SME 345 made for Oracle arm (309) with a VDH frog and told me it's simply the best reproduction from vinyl he's ever used/owned ! And he's been through a lot of turntables , he is quite critical and if something doesn't float his boat , it gets moved on pronto !

DSJR
14-10-2012, 13:32
To me, an SP10 in a standard plinth will see off most things out there. I mean, the BBC bases weren't that substantial were they?

The Orbe is a goodie already and IMO far better than a Gyrodeck, so expect to add a goodly sum for a suitable plinth for the SP10. Not sure about fancy slate things, but multi-layered ply or even veneered HDF might be an interesting prospect. The SP10 power supply may well need some looking at, although whether it'll need the OTT treatments of the SL1200mk2 series I really don't know. Far too much "me too" slurping going on around these decks IMO. Anyone would think that the matsushita engineers didn't know anything about turntable design, especially on the (almost) cost no object SP10 series :)

esperowl
14-10-2012, 14:19
Solid advice. Thanks very much! So going from an Orbe to an SP10 seems like a good move. Any thoughts on aspects of the Orbe that may be diminished with an SP10? I have a parallel tracking arm on the Orbe and I have a suspended wooden floor (lots of problems with footfall, plus my speakers send a hell of a lot of energy bacwards towards my TT. I could move the arm on to the SP10. Good move?

StanleyB
14-10-2012, 15:20
Given your playing environment I would be inclined to give up on the idea. I have a near identical type of condition where my turntable is situated and had to go to great expense to reduce it. The Micro Seiki C-1000 dust cover platform that stopped the air movement from affecting the tonearm came at a high price. I shudder to think how much the Techncis SH-10B3, which is the dust cover for the SP10, would set you back. The last one I saw listed went for 2000 Euro.

esperowl
14-10-2012, 15:40
Given your playing environment I would be inclined to give up on the idea. I have a near identical type of condition where my turntable is situated and had to go to great expense to reduce it. The Micro Seiki C-1000 dust cover platform that stopped the air movement from affecting the tonearm came at a high price. I shudder to think how much the Techncis SH-10B3, which is the dust cover for the SP10, would set you back. The last one I saw listed went for 2000 Euro.

:( Couldn't I dispense with the dust cover whilst playing the SP10? I already have an oversized dustcover (the size of a medium fishtank) for the Orbe which I use when its not in use.
The SP10 is not a suspended design so I don't expect it to be as vulnerable to vibrations as is the bouncy old Orbe.

Dingdong
14-10-2012, 16:00
I reckon that if you mounted it on a nice bit of slate that you would probably get away with it.
I've got my Sp-10 with slate plinth sat on rdc cones and rdc feet. Although I don't have as much energy going to it as being placed behind esl's it seems to do the trick.

esperowl
14-10-2012, 16:06
I reckon that if you mounted it on a nice bit of slate that you would probably get away with it.
I've got my Sp-10 with slate plinth sat on rdc cones and rdc feet. Although I don't have as much energy going to it as being placed behind esl's it seems to do the trick.

Same as my set up - speakers in front.; other gear behind :scratch:

esperowl
14-10-2012, 16:16
It depends on the arm and cartridge that you intend to use...

Currently using a Terminator T3Pro (air bearing parallel tracker) and a Dynavector DV XXII mk2. Very happy with both and have no intention of changing either without a good reason to do so. Any recommendations for a killer arm/cat combination on an SP10?

Macca
14-10-2012, 16:18
Same as my set up - speakers in front.; other gear behind :scratch:

I think the point being made is that the ESL are dipoles so radiate the same amount from front and back, unlike a box speaker. So your turntable will suffer from airborne vibration as a consequence.

Dingdong
14-10-2012, 16:20
If you can get the SP-10 for a decent price then I'd say go for it.

I paid £500 for an ex-broadcast deck and have spent a bit on a slate plinth. One of the panasonic ones should have only been used domestically and had a much easier life.

A slate plinth can be done cheaply, or can cost you quite a bit for something professionally made. You could also fit a couple of arms to it if that appeals.

Dingdong
14-10-2012, 16:22
Currently using a Terminator T3Pro (air bearing parallel tracker) and a Dynavector DV XXII mk2. Very happy with both and have no intention of changing either without a good reason to do so. Any recommendations for a killer arm/cat combination on an SP10?

Your current arm and cartridge should work very well.

esperowl
14-10-2012, 16:43
If you can get the SP-10 for a decent price then I'd say go for it...

:)

Your current arm and cartridge should work very well.

:) :)

esperowl
14-10-2012, 21:10
Just bought the SP10. Thanks guys for giving me the excuse to buy it... erm I mean thanks for your input.

StanleyB
14-10-2012, 21:18
Great stuff Chang. You have at least the privilege that you now own a turntable that could increase in monetary value. And only a few turntables at any price can surpass a well set up SP10.

Flemo
22-10-2012, 10:22
...also the plinth the SP10 is mounted in will affect the presentation.

Yepp, a mass plinth is the way to go. Mine is made with granite and corian weighing in at 45kgs! :)

esperowl
24-10-2012, 18:59
Yepp, a mass plinth is the way to go. Mine is made with granite and corian weighing in at 45kgs! :)

Reckon I'm going for a Panzerholz plinth. It's the arm I'm undecided about - originally planned to move my Terminator T3 from the Orbe onto the SP10 but have been looking at SME and Audionote arms as well. Not really sure which to opt for :scratch:

synsei
24-10-2012, 19:25
Try the Terminator first because it is a known quantity and it will help give you a good idea as to any improvements or otherwise ;)

StanleyB
24-10-2012, 20:25
It's the arm I'm undecided about - originally planned to move my Terminator T3 from the Orbe onto the SP10 but have been looking at SME and Audionote arms as well. Not really sure which to opt for :scratch:
You didn't mention which of the SME arms. I heard a SP10/SME3009 combination once. It was a match made in hell as far as my ears were concerned, but I didn't dare tell the owner that.
An excellent match will cost you money. So if I were you I would do my homework over several weeks if need be. There is no sense in rushing into a quick solution that you'll swear at a few minutes after first getting to listen to it. If you win the lottery then a DV507 would be a match made in heaven ;).

esperowl
26-10-2012, 15:15
You didn't mention which of the SME arms. I heard a SP10/SME3009 combination once. It was a match made in hell as far as my ears were concerned, but I didn't dare tell the owner that.
An excellent match will cost you money. So if I were you I would do my homework over several weeks if need be. There is no sense in rushing into a quick solution that you'll swear at a few minutes after first getting to listen to it. If you win the lottery then a DV507 would be a match made in heaven ;).

The last owner had an SME 312s arm on the SP10 but I never heard this combination. Is the Dynavector / SP10 a classic partnership? Is there much difference between a DV505 and a 507?

NRG
26-10-2012, 23:43
Sorry there's no 'classic' partnership you have to go with whatever suits you. The 312 is a very good arm, choose whatever you feel comfortable with. I went with a 309 on my deck as I could not accommodate a 12" arm, given a larger plinth and the space to site it then the 312 would have been my choice...

pure sound
30-10-2012, 07:51

Lightweight ;) Twin layer slate here, the whole thing more like 65 Kg although standing on springs so well isolated from seismic activity.

Panzerholz would doubtless be excellent but getting a massy plinth made from it might well cost more than the motor unit.

With regard to arms, you could do alot worse than an FR64.