PDA

View Full Version : Van Der Graaf Generator 2LP Editions

Rare Bird
13-10-2012, 17:23
There's some 2LP Editions of the early VDGG LP's, i was wondering if anyone has these & especially what the packaging qwality was like.. They are on the Back On Black label (not the single vinyl 4Men editions) ?

Clive
13-10-2012, 18:39
Can't search easily as I'm on my phone, is H to He one? Killer...

sq225917
13-10-2012, 18:58
The BOB versions are from the original master tapes, the 4men ones are from duplicates. I have a few BOB albums and they have all been excellent. The 4men Liege and leaf was shockingly bad, full of pressing noise.

Rare Bird
13-10-2012, 21:37
Yes i don't want the 4Men..

Clive: Yes 'H to He' is but it's in the cream coloured cover.

Clive
13-10-2012, 21:47
Clive: Yes 'H to He' is but it's in the cream coloured cover.
Yuk! But if it sounds god.

Rare Bird
13-10-2012, 22:09
Looks same as the old issue on Dunhill Records...i personally prefer it to the colour were used to seeing.

Now i have to find the cheapest place for em :)

Clive
13-10-2012, 22:14
Looks same as the old issue on Dunhill Records...i personally prefer it to the colour were used to seeing.

Now i have to find the cheapest place for em :)
It doesn't look so bad but it's not what I grew up with!

Rare Bird
13-10-2012, 22:14
while were on it, i also prefered the cream version of Deep Purple 'In Rock' fuzzy on the German Hör Zu edition :eyebrows:

Gimmi quid :D

Rare Bird
13-10-2012, 22:17
It doesn't look so bad but it's not what I grew up with!

You'll not like the blue Dutch issue then :eyebrows:

Gimmi nuvver quid :D

Stratmangler
13-10-2012, 22:37
while were on it, i also prefered the cream version of Deep Purple 'In Rock' fuzzy on the German Hör Zu edition :eyebrows:

Gimmi quid :D

Never saw one of these.
The 35th Anniversary CD is as good as I've ever heard of this album.

I do not like the 35th Anniversary remaster of "Who Do We Think We Are" - the bass has been lifted out of all proportion.
Now the SHM-CD version is a different matter - much more like it - but the problem with these SHM-CD series is that they're the US releases, and they do not have all the same track listings or even the same edits of certain songs (Speed King being a case in point) :eek:

Rare Bird
13-10-2012, 23:25
The 35th Anny of 'In Rock' the one with the Signatures all over the Jewel case?

To be truly honest Chris i only like & have the three Purple fuzzies with Rod Evans & of course the Gillan 'Concerto For Group & Orchestra' that's it. The sacred Prog scriptures wont allow me to indure such behaviour found on the next fuzzy for it could seriously wound my finely trained progtastic lugholes :eyebrows:

Stratmangler
13-10-2012, 23:37
The 35th Anny of 'In Rock' the one with the Signatures all over the Jewel case?

To be truly honest Chris i only like & have the three Purple fuzzies with Rod Evans & of course the Gillan 'Concerto For Group & Orchestra' that's it. The sacred Prog scriptures wont allow such behaviour found on the next fuzzy wound my lugholes :eyebrows:

Is "In Rock" a touch too uncouth old fellah? ;)
That's where I got interested :eyebrows:

'Tis my opinion that a certain Jon Lord only started sounding outstanding when he adopted a Marshall guitar amp to power his Leslies and spar with The Sullen One, and that Deep Purple came of age :)
The rest of the chaps in the band had summat to do with it as well :D

Rare Bird
14-10-2012, 00:13
Not so much uncouth Chris it's just that it's clearly stated in the Prog scriptures (Chapter 12, paragraph 7) that my finely tunes progtastic lugholes (That have taken many years to fine tune) should not come in contact with electric guitar sounds, this is clearly outlined in black & white.. Any prog masterman found to be fraternising with such horrific sounds will be severly dealt with... the punishment being Exiled for forty days & forty night, forced to listern to ''Stairway To Heaven'' on repeat play 24/7 for the whole duration with an allowence of 5 hours sleep & half an hour for food breaks.. So as you can understand 'In Rock' is a no no for me

Stratmangler
14-10-2012, 00:18
Not so much uncouth Chris it's just that it's clearly stated in the Prog scriptures (Chapter 12, paragraph 7) that my finely tunes progtastic lugholes (That have taken many years to fine tune) should not come in contact with electric guitar sounds, this is clearly outlined in black & white.. Any prog masterman found to be fraternising with such horrific sounds will be severly dealt with... the punishment being Exiled for forty days & forty night, forced to listern to ''Stairway To Heaven'' on repeat play 24/7 for the whole duration with an allowence of 5 hours sleep & half an hour for food breaks.. So as you can understand 'In Rock' is a no no for me

Not even "Child In Time"? :o

Rare Bird
14-10-2012, 00:22
Not even "Child In Time"? :o

:eek: Afraid not :lol: However ive heard a few live versons with no lekky geetar.. Shame really as Jon Lord's Hammond sarnds good. On a plus note, if i want to get off on the Hammond from that track at any point, it's on my 2CD version of 'Concerto For Group & Orchestra'..

:sofa:

Stratmangler
14-10-2012, 00:27
:eek: Afraid not :lol: However ive heard a few live versons with no lekky geetar.. Shame really as Jon Lord's Hammond sarnds good.

If I were you I'd have a quick blast behind the bike sheds where them other lads smoke their ciggies :eek:
You could pretend that the guitar was keyboard, wot, with em both using Marshall amps an' all.....

Rare Bird
14-10-2012, 00:45
Chris:
Even behind the bike shed, the almight prog sees & hear's all. No Prog masterman is hidden from his sight.

*The almighty Prog's omnipresence is a shield against all temptations* (Birth Of The Progressive Disciples 22:4)

chris@panteg
14-10-2012, 12:20
Chris:
Even behind the bike shed, the almight prog sees & hear's all. No Prog masterman is hidden from his sight.

*The almighty Prog's omnipresence is a shield against all temptations* (Birth Of The Progressive Disciples 22:4)

Andre , sorry oh Progtastic one , you really are totally immersed in the land of prog !

May I pay homage sir ! I'm afraid I've sinned , yesterday I listened to some up its own arse Jazz and today Joni Mitchell Hejira .

Rare Bird
14-10-2012, 12:32
:eek: