PDA

View Full Version : Mains Cables R Us No 5, some TQ Black and a Curse

bronzeage
13-10-2012, 16:26
I recently was fortunate enough to sample various speaker cables and a No 5 power cord, courtesy of that helpful gentleman David from MainsCablesRUs.

I'll start with the comparison of speaker cables:

Chord SilverScreen Plus (what I already had)
TQ Blue
TQ Black
Vermouth Black Curse

It was easy to switch between cables due to the A/B speaker switch on the amp, plus the bi-connection on the speakers. I no longer use the Bushmaster as I found I prefer the internal DAC on the Harman Kardon HD990 - if any body is looking for an alternative to the normal DAC choices put forward, I can give it a big thumbs up, and you can play CDs with it too, of course.

First up, Black Curse vs Chord. Easy winner here, the Curse just did everything better. Clearer, more defined bass, a very sharp sound.

Next Black Curse vs TQ Blue. While the TQ certainly had a softer quality, there was something about it, the way it made instruments sound more 'real', that made it a tough choice. Would still give the nod to the Curse in a pinch.

Finally, Black Curse vs TQ Black. Well now, this is something else. The TQ Black takes that 'real' sound up to another level, and the bass is just plush. The Curse was still better in picking out certain details, but in terms of enjoying the music, for me the TQ was the clear winner.

Next up, the power cable. Having already benefited from an MG DSP 2.5 on the CD player, I was looking for something to improve the amp. The MG made the sound just a bit too sharp and stinging for my tastes when used on the just amp, but was great on the CD.

The No 5 is a substantial and great looking cable. It has an MK silver plated plug and IEGO IEC connector. The cable is thick and chunky, must be near 4mm conductors. Stuck in on the amp - woof, like somebody ramped up the volume control, and bass was frankly out of control, as I had previously placed the speakers close to a back wall to beef up the tone. After moving the speaker out a bit, I was getting a good and lively sound, but still not really what I was after.

So I switched the cable around, No 5 now on the CD. Very nice ! An even better clean up job, and the bass tightened up even more. But a little of some of that stinging treble came back.

So, replaced the MG with just a standard power cable. To my surprise :scratch::scratch:, I really preferred what I was hearing - the bass was deeper, the sting gone, and I was left with a sound I can now listen to all day without fatigue. :harp::harp:

So there you have it - I'm not sure what is going on with the Arcam A38, but that's how it is. At some point I would like to try pairing up with another No 5, but that's for another day.

I found it quite a surprise on some other threads that the TQ Blue was preferred over the Black, to me it was clearly the other way around - but that is the beauty of opinions, who cares as long as YOU like it.

Many thanks to David from MainsCables - you could not ask for better service and help (and kudos also to Mark Grant, another very fine seller, his HD1500 interconnect is super value)

Hope that is of some use to anybody thinking about those products.:scratch:

lewis
13-10-2012, 19:47
I recently was fortunate enough to sample various speaker cables and a No 5 power cord, courtesy of that helpful gentleman David from MainsCablesRUs.

I'll start with the comparison of speaker cables:

Chord SilverScreen Plus (what I already had)
TQ Blue
TQ Black
Vermouth Black Curse

It was easy to switch between cables due to the A/B speaker switch on the amp, plus the bi-connection on the speakers. I no longer use the Bushmaster as I found I prefer the internal DAC on the Harman Kardon HD990 - if any body is looking for an alternative to the normal DAC choices put forward, I can give it a big thumbs up, and you can play CDs with it too, of course.

First up, Black Curse vs Chord. Easy winner here, the Curse just did everything better. Clearer, more defined bass, a very sharp sound.

Next Black Curse vs TQ Blue. While the TQ certainly had a softer quality, there was something about it, the way it made instruments sound more 'real', that made it a tough choice. Would still give the nod to the Curse in a pinch.

Finally, Black Curse vs TQ Black. Well now, this is something else. The TQ Black takes that 'real' sound up to another level, and the bass is just plush. The Curse was still better in picking out certain details, but in terms of enjoying the music, for me the TQ was the clear winner.

Next up, the power cable. Having already benefited from an MG DSP 2.5 on the CD player, I was looking for something to improve the amp. The MG made the sound just a bit too sharp and stinging for my tastes when used on the just amp, but was great on the CD.

The No 5 is a substantial and great looking cable. It has an MK silver plated plug and IEGO IEC connector. The cable is thick and chunky, must be near 4mm conductors. Stuck in on the amp - woof, like somebody ramped up the volume control, and bass was frankly out of control, as I had previously placed the speakers close to a back wall to beef up the tone. After moving the speaker out a bit, I was getting a good and lively sound, but still not really what I was after.

So I switched the cable around, No 5 now on the CD. Very nice ! An even better clean up job, and the bass tightened up even more. But a little of some of that stinging treble came back.

So, replaced the MG with just a standard power cable. To my surprise :scratch::scratch:, I really preferred what I was hearing - the bass was deeper, the sting gone, and I was left with a sound I can now listen to all day without fatigue. :harp::harp:

So there you have it - I'm not sure what is going on with the Arcam A38, but that's how it is. At some point I would like to try pairing up with another No 5, but that's for another day.

I found it quite a surprise on some other threads that the TQ Blue was preferred over the Black, to me it was clearly the other way around - but that is the beauty of opinions, who cares as long as YOU like it.

Many thanks to David from MainsCables - you could not ask for better service and help (and kudos also to Mark Grant, another very fine seller, his HD1500 interconnect is super value)

Hope that is of some use to anybody thinking about those products.:scratch:

Hi Marcus,
Your conclusions regarding the TQ Blue and Black speaker cable concur exactly with mine. Strange how some here on AOS find the TQ Blue preferable to the TQ Black, must be a system synergy thing or something. :scratch:

I could not find the MCRU no.5 on their website, maybe it's a special or discontinued. :)

MCRU
14-10-2012, 09:40
The No. 5 is being re-designed (and improved) as the cable itself has been dis-continued and I am currently testing the replacement for the manufacturer, it is better so that is one less thing to worry about.

bronzeage
14-10-2012, 10:28
David, do I have the 'newer' version then ? If so, I can say whatever you have used is very good indeed.

Also, I would like to add a note about the Black Curse - it is by far the chunkiest, heaviest speaker cable I have come across, a thing of beauty in some ways, and the bannana plugs are superb when it comes to ease of fit. Might be a problem if your speaker are light, as it could pull them down !

But I can see how that cable could be preferred with say, floorstanders, where bass control is more important.

The Black Adder
25-10-2012, 16:14
You should give the Talk3 cable a go... Quite a few people have ousted their TQ blacks for it up to now... Synergy thing?, yes, of course it is... that's why hifi is so much fun. Price per meter means nowt if it works with your system.

I too have used the Silver screen, I found it very good indeed. I've recently tried had NVA LS6, TQ Blue and TQ Black all from a hifi nut in our village and found them very good too but he now uses Talk3 (I talked him round...) as it seems to fit with his system better so that's my next stop.

Currently use Belkin to which was better imho than the TQ Blue and LS6. I prefer the LS5 better than the 6 to be honest. But hey.. horses for courses.

Clive
25-10-2012, 20:50
I've installed Talk3 today in place of a horrendously expensive sliver plated copper speaker cable. I can barely detect a difference and if there is one the £3.60/m Talk3 is better!

The Black Adder
26-10-2012, 22:45
I've installed Talk3 today in place of a horrendously expensive sliver plated copper speaker cable. I can barely detect a difference and if there is one the £3.60/m Talk3 is better!

Great stuff... :) It seems to be getting a bit of a following. I know I'm gonna get some soon too...