PDA

View Full Version : Ultravox: Brilliant

Floyddroid
12-10-2012, 18:38
I attended the recent Ultravox album at The Sage in Gateshead and i have to report that as a band they have matured beautifully. their new album brilliant is just that and when i returned home i reminded myself of the pleasure that you get from cranking up your kit, dropping the needle in the groove kicking back with a glenmorangie and recounting a great event. If you liked Ultravox in their day why not seek out their new endevour? it's brilliant it really is.

synsei
12-10-2012, 19:32
Cheers for your report Steve, I look forward to listening to the new album ;)

I first became aware of the band in the summer of 1980. I was wandering around Northampton town centre one Saturday afternoon picking up a few odds and ends and decided to pop into Andy's Records to treat myself to an album or two before heading home. My intention was to pick up a copy of Dark Side Of The Moon to replace a rather tired copy I had inherited off my dad, but I wasn't certain what else I wanted so went for a bit of a browse. I rummaged through the racks in alphabetical order and nothing was tickling my fancy to be honest. Eventually I arrived in the 'U' section and as I was flicking through the records I stopped at one which sported a gloriously simple but effective black and white sleeve. I was so taken with it that I didn't even bother to look at the title or who the band were, I just had to have it for the artwork. I went to the counter to pay for the albums and to my delight I left the store with a copy of DSOTM on white vinyl, so I was a very happy chappy indeed.

Upon arriving home I made myself something to eat, poured myself a pint of Directors Bitter (I was living with my parents back then who ran a pub in the town centre) and retired to my room for a bit of a listening sesh. DSOTM went on first of course and being familiar with the album already there were few surprises other than that of the gleaming white disk of vinyl and a lack of distortion, which I had become accustomed to with my dads worn out copy.

Once DSOTM had run it's course I picked up my other acquisition and discovered that it was by a band I'd not heard of, that band being Ultravox of course. Well, on it went and I sat down to listen to it. Wow, this is different, I thought, as the pounding synthesizers of the first track, Astrodyne, surged out of my speakers. As side one drew to a close I had already decided I liked the heady mix of electronic drums and driving synths. Side two beckoned and it opened with the stunning and sinister Mr X. All good so far, I thought, as Western Promise wound down into a sustained synth chord. I sat there wondering where the band was taking me next as the now familiar opening bars of Vienna issued from the speakers, and suddenly I was excited. I'd been hearing this track all week on the radio at work and I really liked it, but had never caught the name of the band. Bolstered by a new found respect for this band, once the final bars of All Stood Still had gone the way of the lead out groove, I flipped the album back to side one and played the entire album again, but significantly louder this time :D

sparrow
12-10-2012, 20:53
The new album is indeed Brilliant! Nice recollection of the Vienna album Dave. I saw them a couple of years ago on the Return to Eden Tour and although the sound was shite I thoroughly enjoyed the gig. Been a follower since I was a lad and still love em. I do prefer the Midge Ure version most but like having a delve back to the Foxx era.

Floyddroid
13-10-2012, 08:07
excellent