PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

king_cosmos
12-10-2012, 15:14
Hi everyone,

I'm forever searching for audio bliss and admittedly I'm somewhat a newbie compared to some of the fine folks here..
My friends think I'm slightly strange but I think it's super fun! Plus I try not to take things too seriously.
Well I'm here to make friends, share opinions, learn and find some potential bargains.

Gear I've had over the years.

ProAc Studio 100 (two pairs)
Marantz PM-17 MkII Ki Signature
Bowers & Wilkins numerous models
Bryston 2B
Yamaha amps

Outside of the ProAcs (keepers) I'd like to move up the chain on all the others for you know..fun! :)

Regards,

Mem

Oh here's a picture of me having a "wild time".. :whistle:

I'd like to add that I've been a musician for as long as I can remember with the drums being my instrument of choice. I listen to all sorts but I guess guitar based music would be appropriate. I dabble in electronic, pop and a tiny bit of jazz. My brother is a music producer but is primarily a mix engineer. We tend to spend a lot of time geeking out on all things music be it players, craftsman, producers, equipment..

StanleyB
12-10-2012, 17:21
Welcome to AoS Mem :).

My friends think I'm slightly strange but I think it's super fun!
Oh you are in good company here then. Some of us are more than slightly strange, myself included :mental: :D.

king_cosmos
12-10-2012, 17:34
Thanks Stan. :) Happy to be aboard.

king_cosmos
12-10-2012, 17:42
Haha brilliant Stan. I've got to admit I do spend time reading but I'm a bit scared to post myself - incase I'm asking a silly question. I guess there's never a better time like the present and surely if this isn't the place then where the hell is?! :)

GT Audio Works
12-10-2012, 18:31
Hi everyone,

I'm forever searching for audio bliss and admittedly I'm somewhat a newbie compared to some of the fine folks here..
My friends think I'm slightly strange but I think it's super fun! Plus I try not to take things too seriously.
Well I'm here to make friends, share opinions, learn and find some potential bargains.

Gear I've had over the years.

ProAc Studio 100 (two pairs)
Marantz PM-17 MkII Ki Signature
Bowers & Wilkins numerous models
Bryston 2B
Yamaha amps

Outside of the ProAcs (keepers) I'd like to move up the chain on all the others for you know..fun! :)

Regards,

Mem

I'd like to add that I've been a musician for as long as I can remember with the drums being my instrument of choice. I listen to all sorts but I guess guitar based music would be appropriate. I dabble in electronic, pop and a tiny bit of jazz. My brother is a music producer but is primarily a mix engineer. We tend to spend a lot of time geeking out on all things music be it players, craftsman, producers, equipment..Hi Mem,
Very nice setup !! I see you take all your ferrous metal component tops off,,I am with ya on that one. I have only done my pre amp power supply but will experiment with the amp next. I see you like to listen near field...less room interaction.
Nice to hear from you...Regards,
Greg

king_cosmos
12-10-2012, 19:26
Hi Mem,
Very nice setup !! I see you take all your ferrous metal component tops off,,I am with ya on that one. I have only done my pre amp power supply but will experiment with the amp next. I see you like to listen near field...less room interaction.
Nice to hear from you...Regards,
Greg

Hi Greg! Thanks for your comments. I'm a bit embarrassed to say but that picture was meant to be a joke. It's meant to be funny as ahem funny enough I am of Asian descent and I have used lots of B&W and Marantz! Uncanny though I've got a few yet to go.. ;)

Since my pre/power is not on a rack - I do tend to pull them out/forward towards me and I am about to take the tops of for cleaning/maintenance duties..
More importantly I do like to listen near field when I can. Room interaction is a killer and I'm not about to decorate the living room for sound sake as I'm sure my girlfriend would not approve. A few subtle pads/diffusers is on the the list though. Just have to wrap them in something tasteful.

I see you're a Swede. Going to make a general sweeping statement here. 'I love you guys.' I spent a bit of time recording there - in Stockholm. We chose to work the Hive's producer and realise that throughout the years there seems to be some sort of magic that the Swede's (and Scandinavia in general) have put into their music. From the artist's to the producers covering pop to rock and jazz. Anywho. Nice to meet you Greg!

Oh and btw - Kudos for your website!

Reid Malenfant
12-10-2012, 21:10
Hi Mem, a warm welcome to AoS from me as well :) I seem to remember that I had a rather big lump of a Yamaha power amp many moons ago, quite a nice bit of kit to from what I can recall ;)

<snip> I've got to admit I do spend time reading but I'm a bit scared to post myself - incase I'm asking a silly question. I guess there's never a better time like the present and surely if this isn't the place then where the hell is?! :)
Now lets deal with this :eyebrows: If you have a question it's because you want to understand things better no? Well that's my take on things at any rate.

The thing is, if you don't ask, then you'll certainly never get an answer! So actually, just like back at school you'd be daft not to post the question or stick your hand up ;) Because the only daft question is the one that isn't asked at the end of the day.

We all learn something new nearly every day, whether it be through experience or possibly someone elses.

So do not be afraid to ask a question, get stuck into the forum & have some fun & possibly get those questions answered :)

All the best, I hope you enjoy your stay here!

synsei
12-10-2012, 21:28
Hi Mem and welcome to AoS. Don't fret about asking questions, they are a really good bunch here and they won't bite your head off, although Mark might stuff you into one of his enormous subs if you don't pay a visit to the AV forum once in a while... :lol: (jk)

king_cosmos
12-10-2012, 21:31
Hi Mem, a warm welcome to AoS from me as well :) I seem to remember that I had a rather big lump of a Yamaha power amp many moons ago, quite a nice bit of kit to from what I can recall ;)

Now lets deal with this :eyebrows: If you have a question it's because you want to understand things better no? Well that's my take on things at any rate.

The thing is, if you don't ask, then you'll certainly never get an answer! So actually, just like back at school you'd be daft not to post the question or stick your hand up ;) Because the only daft question is the one that isn't asked at the end of the day.

We all learn something new nearly every day, whether it be through experience or possibly someone elses.

So do not be afraid to ask a question, get stuck into the forum & have some fun & possibly get those questions answered :)

All the best, I hope you enjoy your stay here!

Aww awesome thanks Reid. Very cool of you - means a lot mate! :)

king_cosmos
12-10-2012, 21:45
Hi Mem and welcome to AoS. Don't fret about asking questions, they are a really good bunch here and they won't bite your head off, although Mark might stuff you into one of his enormous subs if you don't pay a visit to the AV forum once in a while... :lol: (jk)

LOL Ok cool beans Synsei. Warming to know that people are friendly here. Keep an eye out for those potentially daft questions that need answering! ;)

GT Audio Works
13-10-2012, 23:41
Hi Greg! Thanks for your comments. I'm a bit embarrassed to say but that picture was meant to be a joke. It's meant to be funny as ahem funny enough I am of Asian descent and I have used lots of B&W and Marantz! Uncanny though I've got a few yet to go.. ;)

Since my pre/power is not on a rack - I do tend to pull them out/forward towards me and I am about to take the tops of for cleaning/maintenance duties..
More importantly I do like to listen near field when I can. Room interaction is a killer and I'm not about to decorate the living room for sound sake as I'm sure my girlfriend would not approve. A few subtle pads/diffusers is on the the list though. Just have to wrap them in something tasteful.

I see you're a Swede. Going to make a general sweeping statement here. 'I love you guys.' I spent a bit of time recording there - in Stockholm. We chose to work the Hive's producer and realise that throughout the years there seems to be some sort of magic that the Swede's (and Scandinavia in general) have put into their music. From the artist's to the producers covering pop to rock and jazz. Anywho. Nice to meet you Greg!

Oh and btw - Kudos for your website!I am sorry to say I am not from Sweden..I do have a Volvo,, but I dont think thats enough..
I am from The U.S. Stockholm New Jersey. I get that a lot !

king_cosmos
15-10-2012, 19:32
I am sorry to say I am not from Sweden..I do have a Volvo,, but I dont think thats enough..
I am from The U.S. Stockholm New Jersey. I get that a lot !

Oh dear I feel a bit of a tool now. :doh: It's quiet embarrassing.

Nice to meet you anyways Greg.

Now what model Volvo have you got? ;)

GT Audio Works
18-10-2012, 11:59
Oh dear I feel a bit of a tool now. :doh: It's quiet embarrassing.

Nice to meet you anyways Greg.

Now what model Volvo have you got? ;)The old reliable 240.. the box. 1992 still going strong...maybe Volvo should build tube amps !!

Puffin
25-10-2012, 17:00
Mem

Nearfield listening with big f*%k off speakers. That's the way I do it too:lol:

Welcome Mem.