PDA

View Full Version : Thorens TD150 & Linn LP12 bits

pulsestudio
13-02-2009, 19:48
Hi, as a :newbie: here and not too sure of where to post this thread, hope this is the right place, I am starting a project TT build, let me explain what I have and see if anyone can come up with any ideas for the build.

Linn LP12 bits

Armboard new style
Sub Platter
Older bearing
Sub chassis older style
Black springs
Rubber bushes
Belt
Plinth

Thorens TD150 MkI

Motor
Platter
Sub Platter
Belt
Sub chassis
Switch and speed selector mechanism
Top Plate
Lid

Arm

Rega RB250

What I suppose I really want to know is, can I use the Thorens motor and top platter with the rest of the bits from the LP12, or am I going ga-ga :)

Any suggestions will be very gratefully appreciated, apart from " Fall off the edge of the planet mate "

cheers
Paul

pulsestudio
23-02-2009, 20:34
Bugger !! did that sodding hacker nick my bloody thread, oh! "crap in a box" what a little shite :steam: I am a little hacked off as it was just getting started.
Come in Si74 where for art though :youtheman:
Paul

Si74
23-02-2009, 23:23
Hi Paul,

reregistered umpteen times but now it's cooking.
Will pm you my email in case things go tits up again.

Si

Si74
24-02-2009, 18:35
Hi Paul,

had a look at the Thorens motor and see no reason why this wouldn't fit onto a linn toplate by drilling 3 holes. Without taking it apart, looks like 3 threaded bushes are fixed to the motor 'ears?' and the screws go thru the toplate, the inner one having a spring on it which I assume allows adjustment of the motor tilt to alter the speed.
The linn black bolts are a fair bit longer than the ones on the Thorens tho, which might cause you problems. Also the Linn top grommets are a bit slack in the thorens sub chassis - probably not matter when the springs are in place.

pulsestudio
24-02-2009, 21:20
Hi Simon

Got your PM mate, will respond to your private account.

cheers

Paul

Scott Farmer
01-03-2009, 23:41
Hi Paul,
Sounds like a great project. I currently have a similar project going.
I plan on building an LP12 clone using an LP12 subchassis, ARXA platter/bearing and...here's the tough part... the motor and circuitry out of a Philips 312.
I like the idea of building a clone with various parts because it can be upgraded by replacing each part with a good used Linn part. And, since I will be using a Linn Subchassis, Linn armboards will fit right on.
Keep us posted on your progress, also- I have a crapload of old TT parts that may help you- let me know.

Scott Farmer