PDA

View Full Version : Damaged stylus??

Richardl
11-10-2012, 19:07
I've had a bit of a accident, my turntable was left on by accident for about 2 hours, rather than getting to the edge of the inner label and stopping, it carried on into the middle of the label and stayed there for 2 hours, it actually made a groove in the record label :doh: I haven't dared listen to a record in about 6 weeks,.........I'm too scared to find put what damage it's done.

Can anyone tell me what damage I'm likely to expect?........maybe it might not be too bad......I think not though.

Turntable is an OL Calypso gold and an Ortofon blur cartridge.

chelsea
11-10-2012, 19:22
Just try it on an old dodgy record.

walpurgis
11-10-2012, 19:33
This happens to most people at some time.

I've had it happen, generally you'll find no damage has occured.

As Stuart says, use it on an old record and inspect the tip under a microscope if you can, a chipped diamond should be easy to spot. If it tracks alright and the cantilever tube looks straight you should be OK.

WOStantonCS100
11-10-2012, 21:32
I did that once... ...and it cut a hole so deep that a sink hole formed and sucked my whole house down into the abyss. I woke up seeing red; quite hot really. The walls were covered with Burly Benny records and posters. An amazing bodied woman carrying a record came from behind a green door; but, had a mustache thicker than Tom Selleck's. I shuddered in horror as I realized the LP, the LP I left playing, now had a large diameter 45 rpm spindle hole and no longer had grooves; just pits and lands. "Good gawd, man!" I shrieked. Suddenly, a disco ball raised up from the floor which is quite odd since they usually descend from the ceiling. It then divided in half and out jumped a miniature Tiki Fulwood to which Eydie Gorme, looking lovely as ever, tapped me on the shoulder and with a one-eyed glare let me know that I should be applauding as she was. :)

walpurgis
11-10-2012, 21:59
Have you been on the Absinthe again Biff?

WOStantonCS100
12-10-2012, 04:23

SShhhhhhhhhhhhhh... :)

Sorry for the digression. I must've got too close to the cat nip. Ahem.

Here's hoping the stylus is A-Ok with a proper cleaning.

bobbasrah
12-10-2012, 05:06

I thought Absinthe made the heart grow fonder, not the mind go wander.....:scratch:
Sorry... :D

hifi_dave
12-10-2012, 09:48
I doubt there is any damage, as the vinyl/paper is far softer than the stylus.

I had a customer who left his cartridge on an LP runinng for a week whilst he went on holiday. As I recall, it sounded fine when we checked it out. Not sure if the LP suffered any damage though..:eyebrows:

Richardl
14-10-2012, 13:10
I'm just listening to my first album, I think it seems ok, I'm a constant box swapper, so it's hard to tell if the sound quality has been affected too much.......I don't think so.

Also, Absinthe used to be the drink of choice for nutters, this seems to be the new one.........
www.agwabuzz.com

walpurgis
14-10-2012, 17:00
Good news! I'm sure it'll be OK.