PDA

View Full Version : G'day from Downunder

ozbrit
10-10-2012, 01:16
Yeah a nice sunny day here. I'm an early retired 58yo who likes his hifi. In the main lounge we have an Onkyo NR609 A/V receiver with KEF Cresta floorstanders bi-amped, KEF Coda centre and JBL control 1's for surrounds. I find the Brown-Durr DAC in the receiver to be top-notch and even stereo playback from CD's on a cheap Sony BD playe or 320kbps mp3's on a stick sound good.

In our front day room, we have a second setup comprising a Cambridge audio 340A SE Stereo amp, to which is connected a pair of 30yo Mission 700-2 speakers on stands. In this setup I also have an android media player through which I play internet radio and more of those mp3's on a stick. In this room I also have a generic Chinese BD player for CD's, which sounds suprisingly good - even when connected directly to the amp. I've now replaced a Fiio d3 DAC in favour of a Beresford Bushmaster, which is the main reason for me to join you lovely people on here.

So as you can see plenty of budget gear, but it's also fun making the best of what you have.

pete_mac
10-10-2012, 03:00
Welcome from one Aussie-dweller to another!

AlfaGTV
10-10-2012, 04:48
Welcome to AoS! Enjoy your stay here!
Regards Mike from the ohter side of Tellus

StanleyB
10-10-2012, 05:12
And a big welcome from me as well :).

In the main lounge we have an Onkyo NR609 A/V receiver with KEF Cresta floorstanders bi-amped, KEF Coda centre and JBL control 1's for surrounds.
I love those JBLs. Got a set in the dining room and the bedroom.

I've now replaced a Fiio d3 DAC in favour of a Beresford Bushmaster, which is the main reason for me to join you lovely people on here.

I look forward to your comments on the BM once you have had time to get acquainted with it.

Audio Al
10-10-2012, 11:46
Goday Bruce :D

A warm welcome from me as well

Enjoy your time on the forum :)

ozbrit
11-10-2012, 02:16
Welcome from one Aussie-dweller to another!

Thanks mate, hope to see you around from time to time, not so sunny in NSW today is it!

Welcome to AoS! Enjoy your stay here!
Regards Mike from the ohter side of Tellus

Thanks to you as well, I've been to the fair country of Sweden three times. First time I backpacked from Goteborg up to Oslo then up the west coast to North of Narvik then down the Tornio river (mosquito hell) to the Gulf of Bothnia, down to Stockholm and left the country at Landskrona, I did that alone and only 16 years of age. A few years later and it was by train from Goteborg to Umea where I'd been invited to stay with people I'd befriended on my first visit.
Third occasion we took our Nissan Sunny (I was now married) ~ 1980 and drove between there and Oslo stayed at Vanersborg, Tanum & Boras to name a few places.

We'll catch up on here sometime.

Goday Bruce :D

A warm welcome from me as well

Enjoy your time on the forum :)

lol@ Bruce, I'm a fellow Essex man Al, Braintree actually - we first departed the UK in 1988. It beat commuting to the city. I remember buying Hifi from Julian Richer himself - definitely a Dual turntable CS-505? which was all the rage at the time he opened his first shop on the London Bridge Rail Concourse. It was a 20 min walk from where I worked at the time in Gt Tower Street.

And a big welcome from me as well :).

I love those JBLs. Got a set in the dining room and the bedroom.

I have a second set of these unpacked in a box, both were purchased and shipped from Amazon.de - I was tempted to take the Control 1 PRO which were being offered for around the same price. I took the 8ohm over the 4ohm product in the end. The second pair are intended for the covered patio area when I've tidied up.
Thanks for your conviviality & assistance in getting the DAC over here, in good time and well packed.

PLINIUS
11-10-2012, 03:27
Thanks mate, hope to see you around from time to time, not so sunny in NSW today is it!

Thanks to you as well, I've been to the fair country of Sweden three times. First time I backpacked from Goteborg up to Oslo then up the west coast to North of Narvik then down the Tornio river (mosquito hell) to the Gulf of Bothnia, down to Stockholm and left the country at Landskrona, I did that alone and only 16 years of age. A few years later and it was by train from Goteborg to Umea where I'd been invited to stay with people I'd befriended on my first visit.
Third occasion we took our Nissan Sunny (I was now married) ~ 1980 and drove between there and Oslo stayed at Vanersborg, Tanum & Boras to name a few places.

We'll catch up on here sometime.

lol@ Bruce, I'm a fellow Essex man Al, Braintree actually - we first departed the UK in 1988. It beat commuting to the city. I remember buying Hifi from Julian Richer himself - definitely a Dual turntable cs-505? which was all the rage at the time he opened his first shop on the London Bridge Rail terminus concourse. It was a 20 min walk from where I worked at the time in Gt Tower Street.

I have a second set of these unpacked in a box, both were purchased and shipped from Amazon.de - I was tempted to take the Control 1 PRO which were being offered for around the same price. I took the 8ohm over the 4ohm product in the end. The second pair are intended for the covered patio area when I've tidied up.
Thanks for your conviviality & assistance in getting the DAC over here, in good time and well packed.
Welcome from across the ditch, mate.

ozbrit
11-10-2012, 05:25
Welcome from across the ditch, mate.

Thank you my Kiwi friend :) We've been to NZ twice, Auckland to see friends who lived at Birkenhead and we spent a fortnight touring the South Island based at Christchurch. We flew out exactly a week to the hour the City was devastated. Such a shame, such a gorgeous place.

PLINIUS
11-10-2012, 09:42
Thank you my Kiwi friend :) We've been to NZ twice, Auckland to see friends who lived at Birkenhead and we spent a fortnight touring the South Island based at Christchurch. We flew out exactly a week to the hour the City was devastated. Such a shame, such a gorgeous place.
Yes Philip, both of my sons live & work there, they have come through it OK but did sustain house damage but they are better off than many thousands of others.
Got some good ex-pat UK mates over here who really enjoy the lifestyle & climate, as you obviously do over there.;)

hal55
11-10-2012, 10:33
Welcome mate- will you be attending the Sydney HiFi show in a week and a bit? Seems quite a few of us Aussies and Kiwis are on the forum, it's a good place to hang out.

Hal55

ozbrit
11-10-2012, 11:20
Sorry Hal, but we're considerably closer to where you are than Sydney. Maclean is in the Northern Rivers nr Yamba. Ironically my Brother Derek has lived on Mt Tamborine for a dozen or so years. He lives in Bishops Ct which runs alongside the Showground on the St.Bernards side.

So many people greeting me and with a common link as well :)