PDA

View Full Version : Album Club - Week 62: 09.10.12: Tedeschi Trucks Band - Revelator (2011)

Tim
09-10-2012, 16:03
Tedeschi Trucks Band - Revelator
Released: June 2011
Blues/Rock & Soul

The Album:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/Revelator_cover_final.jpg

The Band:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/JRM_9408_RET_v0420med_1.jpg

This album should be new to the majority here, as I could only find two references to the band amongst a list of somebody's 'likes' and one Spinning Today, so hopefully another new band for most? I have now changed my Album Club selection 5 times and this was my original first choice back when I bought the album in April, so I have gone full circle. I find it hard to pick an album that hopefully people will like as well as being relatively unknown.

Anyway, The Tedeschi Trucks Band are a collaboration between The Derek Trucks Band and Susan Tedeschi. They are now married and were both performing artists in their own right before they met, but have now formed a joint band and this is their first album together. Derek Trucks is a superb blues guitarist and better known in the US than here, as is Susan. This album (released in June 2011) won the Grammy this year for Best Blues Album and its richly deserved IMO. They are also up for Classic Rocks 2012 award for best new band. As far as I am aware they have yet to grace our shores but have been going down a storm in the US for their live shows, in fact they have recently released a double live album named 'Everybody's Talkin'.

Recorded in Derek and Susan's own Swamp Raga Studios in Jacksonville, Florida the album was co-produced by Derek with producer/engineer Jim Scott (Johnny Cash, Red Hot Chili Peppers & Wilco). Revelator is a combination of delta blues, Memphis soul, 60's rock and 70's funk which flows together naturally, blending into an entirely original yet modern sound.

When I first heard this I couldn't stop playing it and 'Midnight in Harlem' is for me the stand out track on the album and currently tops my Last.fm most played track charts. Hopefully there should be a few here that enjoy this as much as I do.

http://www.derekandsusan.net

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tedeschi_Trucks_Band

http://open.spotify.com/album/3nvebrk47Qs9bTipgUgup7

John
09-10-2012, 16:18
Great choice Tim
Derek is a really talented guitar player and has played with the Allman Brothers
For me a 9 but already bought it

Tim
09-10-2012, 18:21
Thanks John, I really like it and I love Derek Trucks guitar playing - its a 9/10 from me too.

Nah, I'm going to give it 10 after all ;)

Ashmore
09-10-2012, 20:14
oooOOOoooo last week Cressida and now The Tedeschi Trucks Band. It's like the AoS crew has access to part of my brain or something. (Is it possible that someone will choose Regina Spektor or Matt Schofield next week?)

I first heard this on the wonderful Paul Jones blues show.

A very good album. A tad country in places for my liking. Also I'm not a huge fan of Trucks' slide guitar (yes I know he's great, it's just a taste thing). But overall it's a winner. Great production, great musicianship and that voice...

7.5/10.

RichB
09-10-2012, 20:27
This time next week I'll be driving the Florida keys from miami down to key west and this will make a smashing soundtrack.

When I go to the rental place to pick up my motor and the guy asks me if I want to upgrade then I'll say yes, give me the one with the fattest stereo.

Another new one on me Tim, that's 2 great recommendations this week.

John
09-10-2012, 20:38
Simon
If you get the chance see Matt Schofield live

Ashmore
09-10-2012, 20:49
Hi John

I know. I must. Super guitarist.

Alex_UK
09-10-2012, 21:20
This time next week I'll be driving the Florida keys from miami down to key west and this will make a smashing soundtrack.

Enjoy it Rich - I could happily spend the rest of my days in Key West if I won the lottery. Have a great time. :)

When I go to the rental place to pick up my motor and the guy asks me if I want to upgrade then I'll say yes, give me the one with the fattest stereo.

Nah, the one with the biggest V8! :D (Had a superb huge Cadillac when I did it a few years ago. :))

Anyway, back to Album Club. :) Just played this through for the first time, and enjoyed it without being completely blown away so a spin or two more before the scores on the doors - but thanks for this one Tim.

dantheman91
09-10-2012, 21:32
Superb choice tim. excellent band

MartinT
09-10-2012, 22:00
I'm a bit confused, Tim. Is it Sarah or Susan or are they different people?

Tim
09-10-2012, 22:28
I'm a bit confused, Tim. Is it Sarah or Susan or are they different people?
Who's Sarah? . . . At least you read it, that was a deliberate test and you passed ;)

(fat fingers)

A very good album. A tad country in places for my liking. Also I'm not a huge fan of Trucks' slide guitar (yes I know he's great, it's just a taste thing).
You are not alone Simon, my best mate hates his guitar style and bought the album on my recommendation, now he keeps reminding me of that fact!

rusty bearing
10-10-2012, 06:59
Having a listen over the breakfast porridge, yep, like this, certainly going to get a copy.

The Grand Wazoo
18-10-2012, 23:23
I'm late to this, as I've been away for a bit.
This is a good album - I've voted on the numbers rather than the label - 8 out of 10

Nice - a little bit like Delaney & Bonnie with Eric Clappers and with a vocal sound not at all unlike Bonnie Raitt.

MartinT
19-10-2012, 05:53
I've finally got around to having a good listen. Great voice, catchy songs. A little bit Janis Joplin in feel? 9/10 :)

Bazil
24-10-2012, 08:36
I've given this a polite 4/10, not my thing at all in fact it irritated me and I had to stop playing it. Re-read Tim's intro and thought I better listen to Midnight in Harlem as its his best track and realised I'd already played it, enough said. :(

Tim
26-10-2012, 16:56
Re-read Tim's intro and thought I better listen to Midnight in Harlem as its his best track and realised I'd already played it, enough said. :(
Well at least that's honest and thanks for giving it a go anyway ;)

Alex_UK
29-10-2012, 10:28
Listened a few times now - a solid 8/10 and will definitely be trying to get a reasonably priced copy.