PDA

View Full Version : Tracking force ?

Audio Al
08-10-2012, 13:03
Hi , not sure if that's the correct term ?

I will explain

I have my arm / cartridge / stylus set at 1.4 grams

This is fine when playing 33rpm LP's

However if I play 12" singles at 45 rpm the music sounds harsh , something similar to having some fluff under the needle ( no fluff )

Can the needle lift at higher speed ? and do I need to re set the arm from 1.4 grams to something a little higher :scratch:

Any advice welcome :D

chelsea
08-10-2012, 13:15
What cart?

Audio Al
08-10-2012, 13:17
Audio Technica AT120E

chelsea
08-10-2012, 13:29
I'd try it at 1.8 and see how it goes.

Audio Al
08-10-2012, 13:36
Bloody typical

Batteries are flat in my scales :doh:

Order Ebay now pending

Will give it a try , thanks

Still loving the cassette deck :D Cheers :cool:

Reffc
12-10-2012, 17:54
Al

its better IMHO to run the cart towards the heavier end of the manufacturer's recommended settings, so between 1.5 and 1.8 you may find optimal. Contrary to popular belief, the lighter end can sometimes increase LP wear as the arm can float more on difficult to track passages on lighter settings and the stylus resonate more in the upper reaches of the groove which is what increases record wear. Also worth checking your cart set up, and arm bias settings too. Before I'd do any of that I'd simply check that the stylus is clean!

Audio Al
13-10-2012, 07:19
Al

its better IMHO to run the cart towards the heavier end of the manufacturer's recommended settings, so between 1.5 and 1.8 you may find optimal. Contrary to popular belief, the lighter end can sometimes increase LP wear as the arm can float more on difficult to track passages on lighter settings and the stylus resonate more in the upper reaches of the groove which is what increases record wear. Also worth checking your cart set up, and arm bias settings too. Before I'd do any of that I'd simply check that the stylus is clean!

Thanks for the advice , now have the new batteries and have set it to 1.6 , played some 33s and 45s all now seems well :)