PDA

View Full Version : FS - Harbeth SHL5s plus Custom Something Solid Stands, AS NEW & MINT

Reffc
08-10-2012, 12:25
For Sale

Very regrettable sale of my almost brand spanking new Eucalyptus finished Harbeth SHL5’s which were made to order for me by the Harbeth factory
If you know about Harbeths, you’ll know just how good (and sought after) these are.

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n577/24pacman/Hifi/_MG_5703.jpg

Almost electrostatic-like midrange with one of the most tonally accurate drivers in the business. This one has the latest 8 inch (200mm) RADIAL unit with a tweeter and super-tweeter (augmenting frequencies above 10Khz). As with most Harbeth speakers, these throw a huge sound-stage and being the largest of the domestic monitors (only the massive M40.1s are bigger) provide the lowest bass response too.

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n577/24pacman/Hifi/_MG_5717.jpg

They do all this but contradictorily they are designed for small as well as large spaces and will work well in room sizes of just 3m by 4m upwards. They do like to be pulled out from rear and side walls but if playing at lower volumes I’ve found that they can be left surprisingly close to rear walls without impacting on sound quality.

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n577/24pacman/Hifi/_MG_5716.jpg

Sound wise, they are on just the warm side of neutral, they provide resolution which isn’t audiophile-like clinical (or equally fatiguing) in detail but does retain the ability to separate instruments from the mix and clearly define them. The woody notes of a Cello are startlingly real with the best tonal accuracy I’ve yet come across in any loudspeaker. Ditto, human voices are uncannily portrayed to give that “in-room experience”, again like few others I’ve heard. They play rock (loudly) as well as being (IMHO) the loudspeaker for classical and major on simple acoustic material and jazz too. Years of BBC funding and research by Harbeth with Alan Shaw’s expertise have resulted in one of the all time classic loudspeaker designs which I think will remain timeless and suitable for a wide range of genres.

The cabinets in quality are second to none. Fit and finish are up there with the very best (and I mean the very best). These are thin wall construction, very difficult to make properly, yet very strong and solid. They are designed to reverberate to augment bass performance and are responsible for the slight tonally rich but well defined sub 50Hz bass. These things drop cleanly with no roll off to 40 Hz (most speakers are specified with either -3 or -6dB roll off but Harbeth specify their speakers for zero roll off) which means that in-room you still get bass to almost 20Hz, albeit rolled off. Big sound from medium sized cabinets! The beauty is that due to their design which has been optimised for 80 to 85dB or so, these will play quietly very well without sacrificing bass performance but turn up the wick and they don’t harden or become fatiguing, they just play LOUD.

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n577/24pacman/Hifi/_MG_5706.jpg

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n577/24pacman/Hifi/_MG_5721.jpg

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n577/24pacman/Hifi/_MG_5710.jpg

Amplifier matching, quite uncommonly, isn’t a problem. These will run plenty loud enough and very cleanly with just a handful of watts. 25 watts of decent valve power is great. They work well with Quad amps (which is no surprise given Alan Shaw uses older quad amps), Croft and Naim are very popular with them too, but even very modest budget integrateds will work well. The load is very benign despite the pessimistic 86dB sensitivity rating, they have actually been tested at 91dB/1w/1m. Unless you want ear splitting levels from a 2A3 SET amp, just about anything will run them.

The Eucalyptus finish is gorgeous in the flesh. It’s a pale golden colour, streaked with whiter shades which randomly curve their way through the grain pattern with the occasional dark, almost black thin grain boundary lines. The veneer quality is top drawer. I think that these would fit in well and suit all living room spaces from the contemporary minimalist to the more traditional.

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n577/24pacman/Hifi/_MG_5704.jpg

Supplied with the speakers are the custom built “something solid” stands which on their own retail for £250 to £300 per pair. These were designed to work in tandem with Harbeth loudspeakers allowing fullness of bass performance. They are fairly heavy and very well finished in a power-coated satin black and come with adjustable ground spikes. The speakers sit on carbon-fibre discs glues to the corners of the stand tops.

Reason for selling? I have an itch that needs to be scratched regarding one of my personal “try before you die” loudspeakers and cannot throw up the opportunity so need to raise funds towards them. I must be mad, since the SHL5s are about as close to the “perfect” loudspeaker that many would aspire to and I could well regret this.

New RRP cost just a few months back was £2988 including the stands for these (All receipts available). As stated, they are just a few months old and come with factory certificates and original boxes. Looking for a very reasonable £2300 all-in for speakers and stands. Both are absolutely MINT and AS NEW. Save yourself £688 on the new cost!!! Collection in person preferred or can meet half way for fuel costs. Willing to courier but ONLY AT THE RISK OF THE BUYER. If these arrive smashed to pieces, please do not come looking for a refund, as it will be strictly the buyer’s risk to courier. They will be in their original shipping boxes so it is up to the new owner on how delivery is met.

These very rarely come up, especially this new and with matching custom built stands, so grab your chance to invest in what might be the last loudspeaker you’ll ever want to own!

Update!

If bought for the asking price I'll throw in a pair of Talk3 speaker cables (new) and 1m set of RFC interconnects free of charge for the lucky now owner!

twotone
08-10-2012, 19:46
That has got to be one of the best classified adverts I have ever read on any forum anywhere. I once read a similar advert on e-bay for a Sony TA-FA3ES integrated amp that eventually sold for about three times the normal price.

Fantastic looking speakers.

Best of luck with the sale only wish I had the funds:goodthread:

Reffc
08-10-2012, 19:52
Thanks for that; Fingers crossed! Have had some interest with a few auditions booked already. They're priced to sell as need to make room for the replacements!

twotone
08-10-2012, 19:57
Thanks for that; Fingers crossed! Have had some interest with a few auditions booked already. They're priced to sell as need to make room for the replacements!

:thumbsup:

Tim
08-10-2012, 20:06
Classy speakers need a classy ad ;)

aquapiranha
08-10-2012, 20:27
Man they look beautiful!

Reffc
08-10-2012, 21:27
Thanks Steve & Tim.

Open to sensible offers on these (note the word "sensible";) guys), they have to go. With over £200 of FREE cables AND matching stands, its got to be a fabulous deal for someone?

Alex_UK
08-10-2012, 21:37
My favourite speakers ever - and when I get some I doubt I'll ever sell - but unfortunately I have other more pressing priorities just now - but good luck with the sale and whoever takes the plunge is very unlikely to be disappointed... :)

RichB
08-10-2012, 21:38
Man I don't have a couple of grand but could probably live without my left bollock for them.:lol:

Reffc
08-10-2012, 21:48
Man I don't have a couple of grand but could probably live without my left bollock for them.:lol:

You could, you could!:lol:

You only live once...take the plunge, you won't regret it;) You wont need the left one as you'd be spending most of your time listening to music!

Reffc
09-10-2012, 08:40
Price reduction to £2250!

Reffc
09-10-2012, 18:22
Will split stands/speakers if required..sensible offers?

Reffc
10-10-2012, 09:10
PRICE REDUCTION:

£2150!!! If unsold at that price, these will be kept and put in storage. Dont forget, price includes custom stands and even cables! These are all nearly new folks!

dantheman91
10-10-2012, 16:03
Dude Keep them :please:

Reffc
10-10-2012, 16:38
Love to Dan but they have to go, hence the price. I did an internet search but no-where could I find the latest SHL5's, Something Solid Stands and even speaker cables all in for £2150! Thats priced to sell so someone's in for a bargain.

dantheman91
10-10-2012, 17:27
Love to Dan but they have to go, hence the price. I did an internet search but no-where could I find the latest SHL5's, Something Solid Stands and even speaker cables all in for £2150! Thats priced to sell so someone's in for a bargain.

Hey,

They are a Bargin!. It looks like no one has got money to shell out at the moment.

Anyway best of luck if they sell.

Reffc
11-10-2012, 18:21
Offers?

Reffc
12-10-2012, 11:45
okidoki folks...price reduction to £2,100 inclusive of speaker cables and something solid stands. That's rock bottom for these and they are factory fresh, totally mint...or you could order a new pair plus stands plus speaker cable and pay over £3K?

There's a weekend temptation for you! If it makes it any easier I can arrange a courier at your cost/risk.

synsei
12-10-2012, 12:30
I would love these but there's no chance of me being able to afford them sadly... http://images.zaazu.com/img/whhaaaa---baby-cry-whhaaaa-smiley-emoticon-000822-facebook.gif

Audio Al
12-10-2012, 12:58
Hi

What are the dimensions of these beauties on the stands

also how much does each speaker weigh ?

Thanks

Reffc
12-10-2012, 13:15
Hi

What are the dimensions of these beauties on the stands

also how much does each speaker weigh ?

Thanks

Hi

The speakers (plan area) are 322 by 300mm by 638mm high (close to 2 cubic feet enclosure volume), the stands lift them roughly 440mm but that's adjustable as the spikes can be lowered or raised through the stand's feet (nifty design) so the tweeter (for most listening positions) is at ear level, or the stands can be tilted slightly forwards.

Plan area for stands (outside feet measurement) is roughly 400 by 420mm max and the stand's frame dimensions exactly match the speakers so the whole effect is quite elegant and well designed. The stands are quite heavy (4Kg or so).

Each speaker weighs 17.2KG (unpacked) and about 19.5Kg (packed). That is pretty substantial for a thin walled speaker, and whilst some of that mass is in the substantial driver magnets, it is also a reflection of how solid and well made each speaker is.

Thanks for your interest:wave:

Audio Al
12-10-2012, 13:35
The speakers (plan area) are 322 by 300mm by 638mm high

Being a old school chap who still uses feet and inches :)

Is this 12 1/2" x 11 3/4" x 25" ?

the stands lift them roughly 440mm

17 1/4"

Making a total height on the stand of 42 1/2" ( 3 foot 6" )

38 lbs sounds like a well constructed weight

Reffc
12-10-2012, 15:45
Being a old school chap who still uses feet and inches :)

Is this 12 1/2" x 11 3/4" x 25" ?

17 1/4"

Making a total height on the stand of 42 1/2" ( 3 foot 6" )

38 lbs sounds like a well constructed weight

Hi

in good 'ol feet and inches, it works out at 12 by 11.75 by 25 inches so close!

Total height is about 43 inches :)

Tweeter height around 37 inches (can be lowered a little or raised as much as you like by sitting the stand on slabs etc)

Yes. 38lbs a side for these is quite substantial!

Reffc
12-10-2012, 17:33
Anyone? http://www.hifiwigwam.com/images/smilies/tumbleweed.gif

Marco
12-10-2012, 18:34
Hi Paul,

Are you selling your stands to Tim? I would, as it's one less item to shift. Your Harbs will be no less tempting a proposition to the right buyer, IMO :)

Marco.

Reffc
12-10-2012, 21:01
Hi Paul,

Are you selling your stands to Tim? I would, as it's one less item to shift. Your Harbs will be no less tempting a proposition to the right buyer, IMO :)

Marco.

Tim has been given a price Marco but has decided to hang fire. Can't afford to give the things away and would rather sell with stands as the new owners will need custom stands for these anyway;)

DSJR
13-10-2012, 15:09
I hear you're getting Turberry SE's to replace these. Are you sure it's a good idea, I mean, when I directly compared the two, the tannoys were more coloured (mainly cos of the undamped wardrobe-box they use I think) and they really weren't that much more efficient. The treble wasn't that much different either i thought, although I believe Steve Toy has his tweeters set a notch up on how I heard them. The bass certainly won't really be any better and most important of all, if you're buying new, you'll lose nearly two thirds of the price even before you've unpacked them. tannoy Prestige speakers just don't fetch proper money in the UK and the used price is often less than the inferior vintage stuff...

I'd happily use Turnberry's, but the SHL5's would be an upgrade to me. Maybe getting them a little further out from the wall (so you won't feel the need to use the foam and "stuff" behind them, and maybe adjusting room damping as a whole (hangings, carpet etc.....). When you get to this level, the room becomes the most important thing I've found..

Reffc
13-10-2012, 17:28
I hear you're getting Turberry SE's to replace these. Are you sure it's a good idea, I mean, when I directly compared the two, the tannoys were more coloured (mainly cos of the undamped wardrobe-box they use I think) and they really weren't that much more efficient. The treble wasn't that much different either i thought, although I believe Steve Toy has his tweeters set a notch up on how I heard them. The bass certainly won't really be any better and most important of all, if you're buying new, you'll lose nearly two thirds of the price even before you've unpacked them. tannoy Prestige speakers just don't fetch proper money in the UK and the used price is often less than the inferior vintage stuff...

I'd happily use Turnberry's, but the SHL5's would be an upgrade to me. Maybe getting them a little further out from the wall (so you won't feel the need to use the foam and "stuff" behind them, and maybe adjusting room damping as a whole (hangings, carpet etc.....). When you get to this level, the room becomes the most important thing I've found..

They are good, there's no doubt, but the Tannoy itch needs scratching and I think that they may be better suited to my room. I wouldn't say that the 5's are better than the Turnberrys (having heard them both), just different.

The bigger Tannoys will probably be where I end up when the kids have grown up and left me with more space!

Why the prestige range isn't more popular beats the hell out of me as they deserve to be. I've owned many loudspeakers over the years and would rate both the SHL5s and Turnberrys as better than most.

Why the Harbeths are also not more popular also beats the hell out of me because they certainly deserve to be too.

Reffc
14-10-2012, 16:44
Bump: Price reduction to £2100

Sell your grannies, raid your piggy-banks and treat yourself!

Reffc
14-10-2012, 17:20
If it helps I can split, but if I have to the prices are as follows:

Speakers £1995 FIRM

Stands £150 FIRM

Free cable offer ends tonight with these (the cables on offer were for the first week of the sale to help move things along). I will still honour that as long as firm offers are made on the speakers today.

Marco
14-10-2012, 17:34
tannoy Prestige speakers just don't fetch proper money in the UK and the used price is often less than the inferior vintage stuff...

Quoi??? :eek:

Inferior vintage stuff - you're 'avin a larf, right? I trust you don't mean the likes of Reds or Golds in proper cabinets, with sorted modern crossovers? Otherwise, I'm gonna have to point out the error of your ways - yet AGAIN! :D

Marco.

Reffc
14-10-2012, 17:46
If it helps I can split, but if I have to the prices are as follows:

Speakers £1995 FIRM

Stands £150 FIRM

Free cable offer ends tonight with these (the cables on offer were for the first week of the sale to help move things along). I will still honour that as long as firm offers are made on the speakers today.

:eek:

hifi_dave
14-10-2012, 18:45

Inferior vintage stuff - you're 'avin a larf, right? I trust you don't mean the likes of Reds or Golds in proper cabinets, with sorted modern crossovers? Otherwise, I'm gonna have to point out the error of your ways - yet AGAIN! :D

Marco.

He's having a little larf..:lol:

Either that or he's looking for a spanking.

Bump.

Marco
14-10-2012, 19:01
Ah, now that makes sense, as he's not had his 'bitty' yet today... He gets stroppy, when he's not had his 'bitty.

FmD2Y6WxpIw

That better, shweety? Now bare your botty for daddee:

:spank: :spank:

Marco.

DSJR
14-10-2012, 20:32

Marco.

I'm talking about the stuff that gets flogged on ebay with old knackered crossovers, dirty switchgear and hollow, boxy cabinets, all of which are WORLDS removed from your totally refurbished and new crossovered custom jobbies Marco :) Have you heard Lancasters recently, or the rather dire IIILZ's? - Ugh!!!!! (to the IIILZ's which were a huge let down)

Marco
14-10-2012, 20:43
Ah, I hear ya, dude... :)

Marco.

DSJR
14-10-2012, 20:49
No worries - I'd NEVER class your Lockwoods with that old stuff, despite the drivers and basic cabinets being "old," if you see what I mean. Anyone buying vintage Tannoys should factor in the costs of updating the crossovers and boxes at least, something the modern stuff already has :)

Reffc
14-10-2012, 20:52
No harm guys but is this better off taken to a discussion thread? Trying to advertise speakers here which have become lost in the discussion ;)

And with that in mind, the Harbeths are still for sale...

DSJR
14-10-2012, 20:56
This IS the AOS, with famous thread drift. Now back to the utterly charming and sweet-toned SHL5's, which are pretty darned wonderful in the current scheme of things and love the best of valves as well as solid-state :)

Reffc
15-10-2012, 09:10
:lol: Yes, AoS has a very relaxed attitude to discussions, a bit like being at the pub:cool:

Looks like stands may be sold (I have a provisional offer) so prepared to take 1950 firm for the speakers if that (final offer) helps anyone. All original factory boxes etc and can ship anywhere in the UK. Shipping costs are £45 due to size and weight and it is recommended that you arrange your own insurance.

Audio Al
15-10-2012, 11:22
:eek::eek: PLEASE :eek::eek:

Someone buy these lovely speakers before I do something silly like as the man if he takes cards :doh:

Please

Please

Please

Save me :D

synsei
15-10-2012, 12:32
You and me are in the same boat Al, except I most definitely do not have the funds to buy them. Such a shame too as these are my dream speakers :(

Reffc
16-10-2012, 12:59
:eek::eek: PLEASE :eek::eek:

Someone buy these lovely speakers before I do something silly like as the man if he takes cards :doh:

Please

Please

Please

Save me :D

Bump..Still here! I think they could even have your name on them!

Reffc
16-10-2012, 20:16
Stands now SOLD

Final reduction on speakers.

£1900 Firm and they're YOURS. You will not get a better or newer pair for less anywhere so grab a bargain!

Marco
16-10-2012, 20:35
Did Tim buy them, Paul? :)

Marco.

Reffc
16-10-2012, 21:13
Did Tim buy them, Paul? :)

Marco.

No, it was a gent from Germany Marco.

Reffc
17-10-2012, 13:47
Harbeths' Provisionally SOLD :goodbye:

brian2957
17-10-2012, 13:51
Harbeths' Provisionally SOLD :goodbye:

Don't you mean ' good buy ' Paul.

Reffc
17-10-2012, 14:06
Don't you mean ' good buy ' Paul.

that as well!

Its a disease for which there's no cure. I was once forced to sit down amongst an all-Naim system, but that didn't help me much...;)

I'm especially pleased for the buyer as he is a lad of very modest means and these will be such an eye opener for him!

julesd68
17-10-2012, 14:11
I was once forced to sit down amongst an all-Naim system

I'm truly sorry to hear that Paul, I hope you weren't traumatised by the experience :eek:

brian2957
17-10-2012, 14:15
that as well!

Its a disease for which there's no cure. I was once forced to sit down amongst an all-Naim system, but that didn't help me much...;)

I'm especially pleased for the buyer as he is a lad of very modest means and these will be such an eye opener for him!
:) Hope he enjoys them they look stunning . Unfortunately I work for the NHS and since this government took over I've even dropped out of the ' modest means ' bracket. Still got the 'dis- ease' though . We live in hope :rolleyes:

Reffc
17-10-2012, 14:17
I'm truly sorry to hear that Paul, I hope you weren't traumatised by the experience :eek:

Took 3 years to get over it Jules:( It didn't totally kill off my interest in music but I nearly slipped a few years back when nearly overcome by the cheeky charms of the little Nait 5i; the naughty little box nearly had me!

DSJR
17-10-2012, 21:16
You didn't turn the Nait 5 up then? That would have had your remaining fillings out I promise you :lol: (It's a VERY hard clipper - ugh!)

Reffc
18-10-2012, 09:48
You didn't turn the Nait 5 up then? That would have had your remaining fillings out I promise you :lol: (It's a VERY hard clipper - ugh!)

Nope. I'll take a raincheck on any kit beginning with the letter "N", and ending in "M" and having the letters "A" and "I" in between...I think it would be for the best:lol:

I am thinking of playing around with a few different power amps though. I love the Croft preamp, I think it's a stellar performer but after hearing what a monster SS power amp did with the speaks was considering finding a 909 or 606Mk2 as I have find memories of the one I used to have.

julesd68
18-10-2012, 10:04
Don't do it Paul!!

I tried one of the recent 909's and found it painful to listen to - it had a highly etched, detailed sound that reminded me of a bad cd player! Worlds apart from the Croft ...

Reffc
18-10-2012, 16:08
Don't do it Paul!!

I tried one of the recent 909's and found it painful to listen to - it had a highly etched, detailed sound that reminded me of a bad cd player! Worlds apart from the Croft ...

I wouldn't touch the newer Chinese manufactured ones Jules. the early 909 and the 606 Mk2 are better amps. The Croft power is staying for now, I just want to have a play around with other power amps to see which goes best with the Tannoys.

julesd68
18-10-2012, 17:31
I wouldn't touch the newer Chinese manufactured ones Jules. the early 909 and the 606 Mk2 are better amps.

Of course - I just panicked when I saw the word 909!

Remind me what pre you are using Paul?

Reffc
18-10-2012, 18:26
Of course - I just panicked when I saw the word 909!

Remind me what pre you are using Paul?

Croft Micro25 and very nice too!

DSJR
19-10-2012, 20:05
The definitive Quad 909 is a lovely sweet toned amp with no temperament whatsoever. A tragedy the late ones appear to have been ruined by inferior parts inside. This can be sorted though and kits are available to sort them.