PDA

View Full Version : Hello from New Zealand....

Coelacanth
07-10-2012, 19:42
Hi all.. Thanks for having me along to your interesting forum...

I am a friend of "Jack Williams" and have owned one of his beautiful Triode 45 amplifiers, which drove big Klipsch K-Horns - but sadly I had to sell the gear because of a new house at the time etc etc.

I am now getting back into the audio scene after a 5-year abscence - hence my username "Coelacanth" - a fossil-fish thought to be extinct, but rediscovered alive and kicking, not dissimilar to my love of hi-fi.

I have ordered one of Ecofan's BSEA amplifiers based on 2x 2A3 tubes per side, and hope to build speakers based around the Audio Nirvana 15" Alnico drivers.

Currently I am running some ancient wide-range "Rola" 8MX drivers in an open-baffle config, driven by Antique Sould Lab Wave 8's and using an iMac as the front end..... Sounds a lot better than it sounds, so to speak - and has served to reignite the old passion for tubes, FR drivers, horns et al.

Look forward to yarning to you all in the future. And a big hello to my dress-wearing pal Jack... ;)

John
07-10-2012, 19:57
Welcome to AOS
Your speaker build sounds interesting look forward to reading about how it develops

Tim
07-10-2012, 19:59
Hi Cade and welcome to AoS - lovely part of the world NZ. Where are you located exactly?

Coelacanth
07-10-2012, 20:40
Hi Cade and welcome to AoS - lovely part of the world NZ. Where are you located exactly?

Hi Tim I am in Taranaki - awesome spot.. Originally from the Far North though.. Thanks for your welcomes..

MartinT
07-10-2012, 20:57
Hi 'Cade' (I can't see your name anywhere) and welcome to AoS from far away. I've only visited your beautiful land once, but it was memorable.

The Grand Wazoo
07-10-2012, 23:35
Hi, Welcome to AoS from me too. It's nice to have you here.
We're all struggling a bit with your real name, I think! We like members to show their real name somewhere, either in their user name, profile details, or in their signature. If you have it in your sig, then you get to muck about with the one in your profile!
It makes for a much more friendly place if we can use real names.

That's an interesting sounding system that you have there - what sort of music do you like to play on it?

Cheers

Coelacanth
08-10-2012, 01:07
Thanks Chris.. Meant to do that, just got busy at work.. Signature updated..

I listen to a broad range of music from classical to trance... Strangely enough, the purity and detail I am dragging out of these ancient speakers is encouraging me revisit recordings I would never have listened to on the K-Horns - or had given up on because of them..

I bought 'Graceland' by Paul Simon the other day and totally filled the room with harmonious African men... Unbelievable scale for tiny little speakers.. I previously owned this and played it through the K-Horns with old crossovers and got the scale, but they lacked clean and convincing detail that I am finding the current drivers offer. To be fair, the system is full of faults, but it is very musical and enchanting - what hi-fi should all be about.

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad126/edac/P1030846.jpg

http://i928.photobucket.com/albums/ad126/edac/P1030843.jpg

John
08-10-2012, 04:41
Interesting speakers and glad you enjoying your sound

Tim
08-10-2012, 08:22
Hi Tim I am in Taranaki - awesome spot.. Originally from the Far North though..
Ooo Taranaki, nice mountain. I tried to walk up it one day but the weather was so bad that I spent the day in the visitor centre waiting for the gloom to lift, which it never did. All I saw was rain and mist through the glass :(

Interesting gear you have there too - I hope you have fun here, just get stuck in.

Alex_UK
13-10-2012, 11:23
Hi Cade, welcome to AoS from me as well - hope you enjoy the forum. :)