PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone...

Crash Tested
07-10-2012, 19:28
Hi Everyone...

Looking forward to getting involved with all things Hifi...

I've been "into" high fidelity sounds and equipment for 30 years (can't believe its been that long). You may not believe it, but I still have the basis of the same system I purchased as a young lad with his first few pay packets...

Thorens 321 Turntable
Linn LVX Arm
Ortofon MC20 MC cartridge
Musical Fidelity Synthesis Amp
Wharfedale 708 Speakers

Since then I've added lots of bits and pieces like a Denon 3910, Sonos System, and a Chinese DAC for starters...

Something I've always wanted to do, is build my own Speakers. So that's the main reason I've joined this forum...

My musical tastes are huge. I listen to every kind of modern music and a little classical too if I'm in the mood... Don't much like Hip Hop and Rap and all the other manufactured rubbish and seems very popular with the younger folk...

I'm a good friend of Glenann who also posts on here, who has just started a world record attempt at building a pair of Frugal Horns in less than 3 days.... I'm not betting against him...

Mr Nad
07-10-2012, 20:23
Howdy. Nice to 'meet' you.

I don't have any of my original kit. TBH, it was crap! But my first proper amp, my Nad 302, I will never part with, although it is now relegated to the study where it is connected to my PC.

I built a pair of speakers many moons ago, and they were crap too. That was the days before the internet...

given the chance, I would build a pair of IPL transmission line speakers. What's stopping me is the lack of time, the wife, and the bunnies... they (bunnies) would be at the speakers in no time.

Lenny

MartinT
07-10-2012, 20:58
Hi Carlton and welcome to AoS. So what kind of speakers are you intending building?

Crash Tested
07-10-2012, 22:29
I'm fancying something simple. Most likely a full range single driver. I've listened to the Jordan Watts units and always like them, so maybe something along those lines, though I understand there is a new modal on the way...

DiveDeepDog
09-10-2012, 20:57
Welcome, I see on your list Wharfdale 708's, they've been on my watch list for years :)

I've got some ickkle 504 in my bedroom.

Looking forward to your speaker build, I'm sure I should do some, but already surrounded by turntable plinths

John
09-10-2012, 21:09
If you looking for simple speakers to build see the threads on open baffles,

Crash Tested
10-10-2012, 17:29
Hi DDD. I remember the 504's. They used the same or similar tweeter as the 708's as I recall. My 708's are still going strong. It's hard to know if they sound as good today as they did 30 years ago, but I expect there will be some drop off in quality...:)

Hi John... Open Baffles are great looking speakers and I'm certainly interested but always thought they had to be very large to get a decent sound quality. I'm guessing I just don't have the room...:) Let me know what you think...

John
10-10-2012, 17:43
Depends they do not have to be to big, you need a bit of space from the back wall and they need a reasonable distance apart but my room not big and I get away with them. If you went for the 10" inch silver iris and augies (Hawthorne) you could get away with 24" height by 12 to 13" width, 3/4 ply or 40mm mdf would do the trick or you could go for something like the Bastanis crystals (8" drivers) with 15" Neo bass drivers
What kind of sound are you looking for Mine really excel with rock but do everything well, but I use 15" drivers, the 10" with give you a bit more intimacy but not the same scale. The Bastanis will give you more detail due to the lack of crossover on the crystal drivers.

Crash Tested
11-10-2012, 17:08
Depends they do not have to be to big, you need a bit of space from the back wall and they need a reasonable distance apart but my room not big and I get away with them. If you went for the 10" inch silver iris and augies (Hawthorne) you could get away with 24" height by 12 to 13" width, 3/4 ply or 40mm mdf would do the trick or you could go for something like the Bastanis crystals (8" drivers) with 15" Neo bass drivers
What kind of sound are you looking for Mine really excel with rock but do everything well, but I use 15" drivers, the 10" with give you a bit more intimacy but not the same scale. The Bastanis will give you more detail due to the lack of crossover on the crystal drivers.

I like a detailed sound as most people do, but I guess the most important aspect to me is the correct reproduction of the dynamic swings, and a "correct bass". By correct I mean well defined and in proportion. I like to be entertained even if it's not strictly accurate. I listen to all kinds of music but I guess it is predominantly rock...

glenann
11-10-2012, 20:49
I like a detailed sound as most people do

Didn't think you could hear that well considering your age... :lol:

FHHISAT
12-10-2012, 09:08
"I'm a good friend of Glenann who also posts on here"

I didn't think he had any friends :eyebrows:

yves
17-10-2012, 09:27
Hi welcome I'm also a new member and about 30 years interested in audio. I read that you want to build your own speakers. i just finish building mine. Just like John I build the Bastanis but not the open baffles. I build the latest design from Robert Bastanis namely the Matterhorn. I didn't want to use separated amps for the bass i want to keep it as simple as possible. I playing with them about 2 months. I have already build about 5 pair of diy speakers even a lot more expensive but never got this good result. Finally after 30 years I found the sound where I was looking for.

MarkHutchens
18-01-2013, 22:33
Yves

I am pondering building the Matterhorns myself. Has your opinion changed over the last number of months? Have the speakers opened up or developed in any way and finally how do you find the frequency extensions?

Thanks for any thoughts you may have for me.

Mark