PDA

View Full Version : My new restored Garrard 401

Beatlebum
06-10-2012, 20:44
I am so happy with the results of this restoraton I also posted pics in The Gallery section of this forum.

I picked up a Garrard 401 off of the famous auction site and promptly started researching plinths and restorations, ultimately leading me to Artisan Fidelity here in the Midwest USA. I had Christopher Thornton of Artisan Fidelity design a plinth for me that would achieve the sonic results of motor and vibration isolation, while not being so massive. No offense to those other designs but I was looking for a more conservative approach that would still fit on my audio rack. Under Christopher's informative and careful guidance we worked together on the choices of wood, size, tonearm, etc., communicating often and discussing options and or suggestions.

The result is better than I could have hoped for. The music from the Garrard 401/Origin Live Illustrious Mk. 3c/Lyra Delos combination just jumps out of my Lahave Audio Mela speakers. It's all there. Tonality, pace, drive, bass extension, beautiful midrange clarity and high frequency extension. Cymbals just decay into my room for what seems like forever. All of this audio goodness and the table looks "badass" as well.

As you can tell I'm really pleased with whole experience. I have no affiliation with Artisan Fidelity just a very happy customer that wanted to pass on some good audo vibes.

Thanks for enduring my raving here! I hope I have not violated any ethics here as I really just wanted to share my exhuberance with others here that could appreciate it.

Cheers,

Tim aka Beatlebum7357

RobbieGong
06-10-2012, 22:59
Gorgeous vintage deck with a top arm and beautiful plynth - Looks fantastic and I'm not surprised it sounds it too :thumbsup:

The Grand Wazoo
06-10-2012, 23:04
Very nice indeed.
So what choice did you make with the wood?

Beatlebum
06-10-2012, 23:11
We discussed some of the crazy exotics like Panzerholz but I opted for Cherry, mostly for economical reasons.

WOStantonCS100
06-10-2012, 23:20
Who did the platter mat? Is that a super-alloy from TTWeights?

Mike - H
06-10-2012, 23:29
That's a beauty Tim, whats the finish you've used?

Mike

Beatlebum
06-10-2012, 23:41
Hey guys thanks for all the compliments and kind words!

WOStanton - the platter mat and record clamp/weight are Artisan Fidelity products.

Mike H - Christopher at Artisan Fidelity suggested an Audi Black automotive paint for the finish and I agreed.

John
07-10-2012, 06:07
Looks really great and glad it sounds good aswell

Tea24
07-10-2012, 13:43
What is the arm?

Beatlebum
07-10-2012, 15:52
It's an Origin Live Illustrious Mk. 3c tonearm and the synergy with the Lyra Delos is outstanding.7360