PDA

View Full Version : Hi all, noobie Intro from Chris (vacdac)

vacdac
06-10-2012, 15:12
Hi I'm vacdac (Chris).

I'm a regular poster on t' Wigwam, finally diving into getting properly involved this year after having been a lurker for several years. Same on here really as I seem to remember registering some while back & have certainly used it as a useful repository of knowledge from time to time.

I'm a Music lover & a bit of a vinyl nut (long time devotee', all of my adult life), I was a comparative latecomer to cd & all things digital having firmly resisted until the mid Nineties. Same with the digital mooozic revolution(Pooter audio/streaming etc.) having firmly resisted (other than i-pod for on the go.) until last year when I added my streaming solution>>see my sig.

Despite being a real latecomer to all things I.T. & my long time resistance:rolleyes: I seem to have taken to it like a duck to water & have been surprised at how geeky I've gotten. So far at least I've run into no issues that I haven't been able to sort out myself, but it's always nice to know that resources are in place for when help is needed & that people are willing to offer help purely out of a "sense of community".:thumbsup:

My system having been through many component swaps, upgrades, sidegrades, is for the main part now sorted, as I'm now more than happy with my lot & the general SQ of my system. I concentrated on replacing amps & speakers & also added my streaming solution last year. I also settled on my S.W. for vinyl recording, having bought my first recording interface the previous year. I am now a fairly keen home recorder, & I have made serious inroads into archiving my viny collection. TBH I got a bit mental wiv it last year & made serious inroads & plan on finishing the job on the final couple of hundred Albums over this winter.

This year I've also done a fair few upgrades. I've adopted various Android devices as controllers & have latterly concentrated on Vinyl front end upgrades & also to the recording eqpmt. I am using & a few other bits 'n bobs.

This year I've also had my first crack at tooob rolling on my phono stage using Genelex Gold Lions & NOS Mullards. This being my second valve stage, which I've now had approx 4/5 years. I've also done some speaker surgery having brought them up to Mk. II spec with new crossover boards & some additional wadding.

My AT33EV cart is also new this year & v recently I've also lavished some attention on my Gyro s.e. The recent mods are my noooo Jelly 750d arm, new custom armboard & de-coupling kit, ISOkinetik Cardas Golden Cross tonearm cable w. Cardas connectors, couple of extra H/shells for 'tother carts I also have + a swanky set of bubble levels for T.T./arm/cart set up. At the same time I did the arm upgrade I've also added an Oyaide MJ-12 T.T. mat. I'll admit this was done partially for reasons of bling but I've been surprised at the S.Q. benefits this has had & I've also done a small tweak to my standard spec Michell clamp which is now working excellently, despite the now shortened amount of exposed spindle due to the Oyaide mat. This was as simple as adding a suitable O' ring to the underside at the point where the locking central "pawl" thingummybob enters the main body of the clamp (this also has the effect of slightly "Pre-loading" the locking mechanism making it easier to find a "Biting Point"). Anyone who has a standard Michell clamp that is no longer effective for this reason, should try this as its toootarly peazy & can work a treat.

My Moooozik taste are really eclectic & I don't want to get bogged down here as this is prolly already a little long as a first post :oops:. Just touching on these for now however I'll go with Blues, Jazz, Rock, Indie, Trip-Hop, Acid Jazz, Soul, Funk, Bossa/Latin, various folk & traditional forms from around the world.....always room for a bit of "Weird Shit" too :thumbsup:, also some Gospel, "Golden Era" Rock n' Roll, Punk/New Wave etc. I'm sure this snapshot gives a fairly good picture but this is far from where it ends.

Any way Chaps 'n Esses, that's plenty for now....lookin' forward to joining in.

B.R.

Chris W.

John
06-10-2012, 15:24
Welcome Chris
Great Intro hope you enjoy being on AOS

vacdac
06-10-2012, 15:40
Many thx John,

Sounds like we share a fair few likes re music tastes from reading your sig.

B.R.

C.:)

Alex_UK
06-10-2012, 17:17
A superb introduction - welcome to the forum.

vacdac
06-10-2012, 17:45
Why thank you Alex.

I daresay I'll be poppin up now & again on a few pre-existing threads & prolly starting the odd one or two of my own. Lol you may have to watch out for a few "Holy Thread" style resurrections from Da Noob.

One thing that's particularly good for me re this forum is the number of fellow Jelly 750 owners on here. I've clocked more than a good few in various members systems as I've been perusing the forum properly over this last week.

Tallyhooooooooo.

vacdac.