PDA

View Full Version : I Wanna Put My Mouth Right Up To Diana Krall's...

WOStantonCS100
05-10-2012, 19:21
...ear and whisper...

(You) don't have to take (y)our clothes off to have a good time.

Because... you actually have talent.

I'm really hoping Glad Rag Doll is a good album. IMO Quiet Nights sucked hard in a very bad way. Her early stuff - luv it. Loves Scenes, The Girl In The Other Room - great. I'm just having trouble with what "her camp" seems to be doing with her career. I sincerely hope I'm wrong and that the music is just as good or better than the "ode to a starlet" trampy album photo. I do get the whole "this is the music biz" thing; but, she can actually play that piano. :doh:

Anyone have the album? Like it? Not like it? Don't care? Am I way off base and outta line?

Tim
05-10-2012, 19:58
I wasn't sure what you meant there Biff until I went to Amazon and saw her new cover - I share your disappointment as that's not what I would have expected from Diana. Like you say, lets hope the music does the talking as that's a little tacky for someone I have always thought of as a classy lady.

MartinT
05-10-2012, 20:32
Good grief, that's so out of character! I wonder who suggested that to her? Perhaps Elvis?

I'm seeing her later this month and won't give a damn what she's wearing. She is a very classy performer.

Ali Tait
05-10-2012, 20:57
Well I like it! :eyebrows:

guyhayton
05-10-2012, 21:04
Well I like it! :eyebrows:

Me too!

lewis
05-10-2012, 21:11
...ear and whisper...

(You) don't have to take (y)our clothes off to have a good time.

Because... you actually have talent.

I'm really hoping Glad Rag Doll is a good album. IMO Quiet Nights sucked hard in a very bad way. Her early stuff - luv it. Loves Scenes, The Girl In The Other Room - great. I'm just having trouble with what "her camp" seems to be doing with her career. I sincerely hope I'm wrong and that the music is just as good or better than the "ode to a starlet" trampy album photo. I do get the whole "this is the music biz" thing; but, she can actually play that piano. :doh:

Anyone have the album? Like it? Not like it? Don't care? Am I way off base and outta line?

I really enjoyed quiet nights, so i bought it on vinyl and cd, but "each to their own" as they say. I'll have to listen to some of her other stuff when i get chance. Have to agree with you about the tarty photos on her new album cover though.

Thing Fish
06-10-2012, 19:03
I have been slightly dissapointed with what I have heard of the new album thus far. Its a bit of a departure in style for her, influenced by Elvis no doubt.

Live in Paris is a top notch 45rpm pressing and one of my fave's...:)

Macca
06-10-2012, 19:38
I've just ordered a Diana Krall CD - see what all the fuss is about...

Thing Fish
06-10-2012, 20:20
I've just ordered a Diana Krall CD - see what all the fuss is about...

Let us know what you think Martin.

Tim
06-10-2012, 20:52
I've just ordered a Diana Krall CD
Which one Martin?

isuckedmandelsonslemons
06-10-2012, 20:53
I bought the Live in Paris. Great voice and superb recording. But not my cup of tea I'm afraid.

Macca
06-10-2012, 21:13
Which one Martin?

Err... not sure. 'Love Scenes' ? Does that sound right? It was the cheapest of them on Amazon, anyway. And acccording to the reviews her new one is not typical of her output. Think I heard some of her stuff at the Scalford show back in March

Alex_UK
06-10-2012, 21:24
She bores the tits off me. Seeing the new album cover though, I might like to reverse that position.

MartinT
07-10-2012, 11:26
She bores the tits off me.

:eek: Have you ever seen her perform, even on TV? She can be mesmerising.

By the way, her best albums are Steppin Out or The Girl in the Other Room.

Tim
07-10-2012, 12:43
I was shocked by that Alex - I can see it though, but her Live in Paris and as Martin says TGITOR recordings are superb. Need to be in the right mood however, a lazy Sunday evening is perfect :)
Mind you I didn't like her last one, Quiet Nights which is not representative of her talent IMO.

If you do decide to 'reverse your position' on her Alex, can I take pictures :lol:

(and I can't believe how fast your kids are growing up!)

keiths
07-10-2012, 13:16
The Girl In The Other Room and Live In Paris are great albums.

A friend of mine was working for Manchester Airport when they were the principal sponsors of Wigan Jazz Festival and got the job of driving Diana Krall back to the airport after her performance at the festival. He says she was lovely and he got a kiss for his trouble. Lucky sod.

Alex_UK
07-10-2012, 14:41
To be fair, there was a bit of artistic licence to set up the gag ;) - I shall give her another try though but I haven't ever been blown away by her in the past...

I shall start with those recommendations thanks guys. :)

Doug
12-11-2012, 19:56
Check out some home grown talent .Clare Martin s newish cd with Kenny Baron on piano leading an American rhythm section . Its called too much in love to care .Why is she not a household name:)

WOStantonCS100
13-11-2012, 00:34
Check out some home grown talent .Clare Martin s newish cd with Kenny Baron on piano leading an American rhythm section . Its called too much in love to care .Why is she not a household name:)

Yep, me likes Claire Martin (http://www.clairemartinjazz.com/). For me it started with her Make This City Ours release; very nice indeed.

electric beach
13-11-2012, 07:35
Yeah, we should blame Elvis. All his birthdays cum at once, as they say :eek:

Having been a fan of his since the beginning, on GITOR I can hear his influence in the choice of phrase or note on her own compositions, so why not in career advice. I imagine her sitting at the piano composing while he washes the dishes in the other room, listening, then unable to help himself sits down beside her saying "just try this note love..." And why not.

He's a formidable talent to have as an influence and I expect to see some joint venture in the future, which I very much look forward to.

MartinT
13-11-2012, 08:33
There's a nice Elvis Costello TV show where she is the guest, together with Elton John. They sing very well together.

electric beach
13-11-2012, 08:43
There's a nice Elvis Costello TV show where she is the guest, together with Elton John. They sing very well together.

TV? What's that? ;)

I do envy you the coming concert Martin, must get Live in Paris for my new Oppo BDP103 next week... :eyebrows:

I have seen one episode of his show. The boy's done well for himself. If only we'd had the foresight to engage him for a thinking man's "Later" while we had him.

MartinT
13-11-2012, 08:57
I do envy you the coming concert Martin

Been and gone! That's three times I've seen her. This show was not as good as the previous ones.

Alex_UK
16-11-2012, 21:20
Interesting Diana Krall interview on this week's Jamie Cullum show - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01ntj3y - well worth a listen for those that can. :)

MartinT
16-11-2012, 21:42
Thanks for that, Alex.

Alex_UK
16-11-2012, 21:46
Happy to help :)

ehoove
16-11-2012, 23:11
I have been slightly dissapointed with what I have heard of the new album thus far. Its a bit of a departure in style for her, influenced by Elvis no doubt.

Live in Paris is a top notch 45rpm pressing and one of my fave's...:)

Actually it was inspired by listening to her fathers music collection with him. A departure yes, but some artists get praised for taking chances and some get chastised. Go Figure!
The cover would carry more weight, and better fit the album if in b&w or sepia tone IMHO
I agree with Live in Paris, it is great stuff.
Regards,
Jim

P.s. I kinda like the album, and respect her efforts

MartinT
17-11-2012, 10:58
In concert a couple of weeks ago, she played most of the new album and some of the songs were ok. However, I prefer her upbeat jazzy numbers with her voice soaring over edgy piano. That's what she's good at.

Agree that the album cover would have worked well in sepia.