PDA

View Full Version : Just for fun

stupinder
04-10-2012, 11:35
Suggest me an amp to drive 95db loudspeakers.
Budget up to 2K probably nearer to 1.5K depending on how well stuff sells.
Prefer valves but not precious about it. If not integrated needs to have pre in budget. Doesn't need a phonostage. Pref have a tape loop/line out...
Looks wholly unimportant!!
I have a few things in mind but interested to hear all comers suggestions :eyebrows:
Thanks guys

chris@panteg
04-10-2012, 19:36
Puresound 2A3 integrated .

DSJR
04-10-2012, 19:43
I'm going to give Jerry a shock and suggest a Mini-T :eek: since they sound sublime at very low power drain. May still be a bit lean toned for some though, despite the speakers' efficiency.

Icon Audio make very efficient speakers too, so I'm guessing that their amps would be cool for this purpose too. The £1K jobbie is a bit too smooth and silky-valve for my tastes, but the coper topped? bigger integrateds (£1600 up) sounded delighful when I tried them, clear and "clean" but with that lack of grain that many ss amps still exhibit IMO.

oscarsaudio
04-10-2012, 19:45
Croft pre and power , puresound A30 .

what speakers is it for Stu ?

Oscar

DSJR
04-10-2012, 19:50
I avoided croft for fear of shilling accusations, but yes, Glenn and Tom Fletcher especially, rather liked big horn speakers I remember and no noise issue...

Tarzan
04-10-2012, 20:01
I'm going to give Jerry a shock and suggest a Mini-T :eek: since they sound sublime at very low power drain. May still be a bit lean toned for some though, despite the speakers' efficiency.

Icon Audio make very efficient speakers too, so I'm guessing that their amps would be cool for this purpose too. The £1K jobbie is a bit too smooth and silky-valve for my tastes, but the coper topped? bigger integrateds (£1600 up) sounded delighful when I tried them, clear and "clean" but with that lack of grain that many ss amps still exhibit IMO.

x2 if the single input, low power is ok for you then get one and spend the rest on records/CDs etc:)

Reffc
04-10-2012, 20:13
Consonance Cyber 10s New £1700, a few used knocking about for under a grand. 2A3 push-pull for 11 watts of triode lushness.

goraman
05-10-2012, 04:48
Find one of these used. $1,200 ish and use the rest of your cash for beer.
http://www.stereotimes.com/amp030100.shtml

I bought mine new, last amp I will ever own.
Later models can go from triode 25wpc to UL 50wpc at the flip of 2 switches one for each channel.
The lower octaves this little amp slams will surprise you, with out giving up any of that glorious EL84 mid range extension and top end sparkle we all expect from these tubes.

hoopsontoast
05-10-2012, 06:39
Decware Zen and a small pre :)

stupinder
05-10-2012, 07:00
Decware Zen and a small pre :)
Weeeeeeell, I was looking at the Decware Zen you have/had...had my eyes on one since Dave (previously of the Wam) had one. Looked at yours but not sure it will drive stuff to loud enough volumes for my purposes...I have a very large-----room.
With regards the T amps, I do have a T amp on my desktop system (sonic Impact MkII) and used it running horns previously to good effect, but it's not going in the main system just yet i'm afraid. Don't need to save for beer as I'm on the Wagon 'til May 2013...then :cool: for the summer.
Croft is an interesting call.
Manley also interesting as I've been looking at their kit quite closely over the last few weeks..
Keep em coming chaps.
To be honest I'm still loving my 300Bs but fancy a bit of a change.
Speakers are a bit of a secret until they arrive, though I'm sure someone on here will be able to spill the beans should they wish.

Floyddroid
06-10-2012, 22:02
The Melody is a cracking amp. Virkn has one and it's the dogs. Perfect match for 95db speakers. Beautifully made and sounds a million dollars.