PDA

View Full Version : The end of Timestep mods for the Technics?

Marco
04-10-2012, 10:09
http://www.time-step.net/

I note that Dave Cawley's Timestep forum has been down now for over a month, repeatedly showing the same message:

Sorry, the board is unavailable at the moment we run a version upgrade

We will be back soon...

"Soon"? Someone has a rather different definition of "soon" than I do.... :doh:

Has DC pulled the plug on the Technics T/T modification side of his Timestep business? If not, why has the forum been down for so long, and what are his members and potential customers doing in the meantime?

Some pertinent questions, I feel... Does anyone have the answers? :)

Marco.

chris@panteg
04-10-2012, 10:15
Hi Marco

Dave was at Whittlebury with his stand , all the Timestep mods were on show with quite a bit of blurb, plus a new wood plinth made by Inspire I believe ?

So I would say there must be some other reason his site is down ?

John and I had a listen through some Denon headphones , we couldn't really tell how good it was ? We both thought the headphones pretty poor ? Despite being expensive .

StanleyB
04-10-2012, 10:15
42?

synsei
04-10-2012, 10:18
42?

Now there's a man who really knows where his towel is... :D

Marco
04-10-2012, 10:30
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info.

Dave was at Whittlebury with his stand , all the Timestep mods were on show with quite a bit of blurb, plus a new wood plinth made by Inspire I believe ?

If they put a wooden plinth on a modded Techy, it effectively becomes a Monarch (only much cheaper)! :D

So I would say there must be some other reason his site is down ?

It would be interesting to find out. Perhaps it's a private members club now for his disciples only? I presume you've not had an invite? ;) ;) (double winky just to stress the fact that I'm joking). If all is supposedly ok, I'd sack his IT department or whoever is supposedly running a "version upgrade"!!

John and I had a listen through some Denon headphones , we couldn't really tell how good it was ? We both thought the headphones pretty poor ? Despite being expensive .

Yup, I've also listened to those Denon headphones. They're shit. Bass-heavy and dull as ditchwater - oh, and vastly overpriced! But then, Cawley likes stuff like that (bling-fi with a nice margin). My Koss Pro4 AAs piss all over them, at a fraction of the price:

http://www.koss.com/en/products/headphones/full_size_headphones/PRO4AA__PRO4AA_Full_Size_Headphone

Maybe one day he'll man-up, put his hands in his pockets, and hire a proper room and do a professional demonstration of his products like most other dealers?

Marco.

chris@panteg
04-10-2012, 10:54
Thanks for the link Marco , those look interesting , I've always liked Stax but way out of my price range ,I did have some Beyer's once ,they were good .

Marco
04-10-2012, 11:01
No worries, Chris. They're not Stax, though; they're Koss.

The PRO 4 AAs are just another example of a product from the professional audio industry, devoid of bullshit, that delivers very high SPPV and is used for studio monitoring purposes by the BBC and other broadcasting organisations.

Ignore the price. Believe me, they perform as good as headphones three or four times their price, as long as you don't have a delicate wee head, as they're big and heavy! :)

Marco.

chris@panteg
04-10-2012, 11:09
No worries, Chris. They're not Stax, though; they're Koss.

The PRO 4 AAs are just another example of a product from the professional audio industry, devoid of bullshit, that delivers very high SPPV, used for studio monitoring purposes by the BBC and other broadcasting organisations.

Ignore the price. Believe me, they perform as good as headphones three times their price, as long as you don't have a delicate wee head, as they're big and heavy! :)

Marco.

Missunderstanding there Marco I just mentioned Stax as something I've always liked .

Marco
04-10-2012, 11:14
Ah, no worries. Do bear the Koss in mind though, if you're ever in the market for a quality pair of cans that won't break the bank! :cool:

Marco.

chris@panteg
04-10-2012, 11:19
Ah, no worries. Do bear the Koss in mind though, if you're ever in the market for a quality pair of cans that won't break the bank! :cool:

Marco.

:) Thanks dude , small matter of sorting an amp 1st though .

Marco
04-10-2012, 11:20
I must've missed that. What's happened to it?

Marco.

chris@panteg
04-10-2012, 13:17

Marco.

My 740A died , MIA since July 22nd , it's supposed to be being repaired but erm that's all I know ? Getting impatient , been living with 350A loan amp , it's a bit shouty but not bad .

Marco
04-10-2012, 13:18
Sorry to hear about that, dude. Hope it gets well soon. Who's fixing it for you?

Marco.

chris@panteg
04-10-2012, 14:20
Sorry to hear about that, dude. Hope it gets well soon. Who's fixing it for you?

Marco.

Richer sounds own repair shop dude .

The Grand Wazoo
04-10-2012, 16:41
If they put a wooden plinth on a modded Techy, it effectively becomes a Monarch (only much cheaper)!

I don't think it's a plinth is it? To me, it looks more like an open topped box that the plinth sits in. No doubt, however, like most things hi-fi there will be a wonderful USP for this particular open topped wooden box that makes it convey incredible properties to the sound produced by the turntable.

Marco
04-10-2012, 16:43
I don't think it's a plinth is it? To me, it looks more like an open topped box that the plinth sits in.

Ah, another glorified bread bin! Excellent :D

Marco.

chris@panteg
04-10-2012, 17:42
Ah, another glorified bread bin! Excellent :D

Marco.

You could call it that :lol:

WOStantonCS100
04-10-2012, 17:50
Wait a minute... What did it look like? Did it have any extra isolation properties? Kevin at KAB has been offering a "bread bin" for a long time now.

From the KAB website:

http://kabusa.com/GIF/12wood.jpg

http://kabusa.com/GIF/maple-blk12f.jpg

The Grand Wazoo
04-10-2012, 17:58
Take a look at Neil's warm up article for his visit to the show (http://www.adventuresinhifiaudio.com/28/09/2012/the-exhibitors-prologue-part-two-track-audio-mains-cables-r-us-and-time-step/) on his AIHFA pages. Last picture on the page - right down at the bottom.

Marco
04-10-2012, 18:24
Yup....... It's a BREAD BIN!!

http://www.adventuresinhifiaudio.com/28/09/2012/the-exhibitors-prologue-part-two-track-audio-mains-cables-r-us-and-time-step/

:lol: :lol:

Marco.

Macca
04-10-2012, 18:28
Wait a minute... What did it look like? Did it have any extra isolation properties? Kevin at KAB has been offering a "bread bin" for a long time now.

From the KAB website:

http://kabusa.com/GIF/maple-blk12f.jpg

That one actually looks pretty good - blonde wood against the black of the deck -cool - the other one sits too proud of the woodwork and looks wrong. IMO.

Marco
04-10-2012, 18:34
Indeed. "Wrong" is the word: rather like catching a glimpse of your gran in the shower. Obviously he doesn't believe in using a duster either....!

Marco.

Beechwoods
04-10-2012, 18:49
My gran is Stephanie Beacham, but I do see where you're going with this!

Tarzan
04-10-2012, 19:41

http://www.adventuresinhifiaudio.com/28/09/2012/the-exhibitors-prologue-part-two-track-audio-mains-cables-r-us-and-time-step/

Marco.

It is designed by Inspire Audio and looked quite nice l have to say.

Marco
04-10-2012, 20:10
Well, we've obviously got very different tastes then, Andy! :)

For me, it just looks like a mess, as nothing matches properly. It's simply a mish-mash of disparate parts :spew:

Marco.

The Grand Wazoo
04-10-2012, 20:11
It don't bleedin' fit!

Marco
04-10-2012, 20:24
Oh yes, there's that, too! That's because it's not a plinth - it's a...... BREAD BIN! :D

Marco.

Dingdong
04-10-2012, 20:32

Marco.

I've never been keen on the 1210 aesthetics but that is one ugly mother. Is it supposed to improve the sound? 'Cos it sure doesn't make it look any prettier.

Macca
04-10-2012, 20:36
My gran is Stephanie Beacham, but I do see where you're going with this!

That's true, isn't it? Clues in the name?

Beechwoods
04-10-2012, 20:40
Why would I lie about something that important :)

Macca
04-10-2012, 20:43
:) Next time you see your Gran, tell her I said she's cool.

Marco
04-10-2012, 20:43
I've never been keen on the 1210 aesthetics but that is one ugly mother. Is it supposed to improve the sound? 'Cos it sure doesn't make it look any prettier.

Smacked by the ugly tree doesn't even begin to describe it.... Look at the KAB one, shown earlier on the thread - at least it fits!!

Marco.

oscarsaudio
04-10-2012, 20:50
out of 'commercial' interest how much do they charge for these bread bins ?

chris@panteg
04-10-2012, 20:56
As bread bins go , it's not to my taste , I like the ones with sliding door , keeps your loaf fresh for just that little bit longer :)

Marco
04-10-2012, 21:10
"Keeps your loaf fresh"? Is that a euphemism for something else? :eyebrows:

Marco.

chris@panteg
04-10-2012, 21:23
"Keeps your loaf fresh"? Is that a euphemism for something else? :eyebrows:

Marco.

It could be :eyebrows:

Marco
04-10-2012, 21:27
Do you think Stephanie Beacham's loaf is fresh? Her baps still seem quite firm... :flasher:

Marco.

synsei
04-10-2012, 21:41
I wonder if Robert Wag'd'her?

Macca
05-10-2012, 07:49
I wonder if Robert Wag'd'her?

You're getting mixed up with Stephanie Powers. Although she was a babe too.

chris@panteg
05-10-2012, 10:10

Marco.

Marco I can give you the latest low down on my 740A ,its dead ,deceased ! An ex amp , gone to the amp graveyard :(

So a replacement it is then .

Marco
05-10-2012, 10:19
Wow, sorry to hear that, Chris. So what are your plans for its replacement - might you think of joining the world of glowing bottles? ;)

Marco.

StanleyB
05-10-2012, 10:21
might you think of joining the world of glowing bottles? ;)
:eek:. I would not recommend freebasing. It's very addictive and bad for your health.

Marco
05-10-2012, 10:22
:lolsign:

Marco.

chris@panteg
05-10-2012, 13:00
Wow, sorry to hear that, Chris. So what are your plans for its replacement - might you think of joining the world of glowing bottles? ;)

Marco.

Thanks , I spent 15 years with glowing bottles Marco , it's not quite so simple a choice though ? Now that we've concluded that the Timestep mods are still available , this thread has pretty much run its course hasn't it ?

Marco
05-10-2012, 13:11
Lol - nope...

The original premise for starting the thread was to investigate why DC's forum has been closed for over a month, which now becomes even more intriguing since it's been confirmed that his Technics Timestep mods are still available, as presumably one would've imagined that the reason the forum was created in the first place was to act as a vehicle to promote said mods and his business in general.

Therefore, wouldn't you agree that the site's current unavailability seems rather counterproductive to it fulfilling its original purpose? It seems strange to me that he doesn't seem to be doing much about the situation, although I have my own thoughts on the reasons for that.

Therefore, before the thread is left to die a natural death, I think a statement on the matter, from Mr Cawley, is in order, which can be made on Mr Dunn's forum, as DC only posts there on these types of occasions :)

Marco.

Dingdong
05-10-2012, 13:23
Marco, the negative comments thrown back and forward between other forums and individuals seems to me to have a detrimental effect on this forum.
Stooping as low as the likes of those on the likes of Hifisubjectivist can't avhieve anything positive.
'Tis your forum though.

synsei
05-10-2012, 13:30
Feudalism is a destructive doctrine. Sometimes it is better to sit back quietly and play out enough rope. :eyebrows:

Marco
05-10-2012, 14:28
Lol... Indeed! :D

Hi Mark,

Marco, the negative comments thrown back and forward between other forums and individuals seems to me to have a detrimental effect on this forum.
Stooping as low as the likes of those on the likes of Hifisubjectivist can't avhieve anything positive.

You're right, although the worst of the drivel written there sometimes needs tackled.

If DC wants to clarify the situation with his Timestep forum, then so be it, if not, then the thread will die a natural death :)

Marco.

Dingdong
05-10-2012, 14:42
Lol... Indeed! :D

Hi Mark,

You're right, although the worst of the drivel written there sometimes needs tackled.

If DC want to clarify the situation with his Timestep forum, then so be it, if not, then the thread will die a natural death :)

Marco.

Cool. I'm off to Hifisubjectivist to give you a right slagging off now.:lol:

chris@panteg
05-10-2012, 14:54
Lol - nope...

The original premise for starting the thread was to investigate why DC's forum has been closed for over a month, which now becomes even more intriguing since it's been confirmed that his Technics Timestep mods are still available, as presumably one would've imagined that the reason the forum was created in the first place was to act as a vehicle to promote said mods and his business in general.

Therefore, wouldn't you agree that the site's current unavailability seems rather counterproductive to it fulfilling its original purpose? It seems strange to me that he doesn't seem to be doing much about the situation, although I have my own thoughts on the reasons for that.

Therefore, before the thread is left to die a natural death, I think a statement on the matter, from Mr Cawley, is in order, which can be made on Mr Dunn's forum, as DC only posts there on these types of occasions :)

Marco.

I see , I can't see that happening ? Looks this thread will die a natural death then , I suppose Dave will probably feel he doesn't owe you or I an explanation ? It's his business that stands to lose or gain anything .

Marco
05-10-2012, 15:20
Cool. I'm off to Hifisubjectivist to give you a right slagging off now.:lol:

Lol... TBH, I find most of it very amusing and somewhat flattering. It's tough sometimes being a celebrity - haha! As they say, there's only one thing worse than being talked about, and that's NOT being talked about! :eyebrows: ;)

Marco.

Marco
05-10-2012, 15:25
I see , I can't see that happening ? Looks this thread will die a natural death then , I suppose Dave will probably feel he doesn't owe you or I an explanation ? It's his business that stands to lose or gain anything .

Sure, Chris. It's up to him what he does or doesn't do.

However, I think that if a forum, normally used by its members, has been closed all of a sudden for over 4 weeks, with no explanation, supporting a business that is supposedly thriving, then people are entitled to ask questions. Imagine what they would be saying if the same thing happened to AoS!

Anyway, we'll leave it at that :)

Marco.

Dingdong
05-10-2012, 15:43
Lol... TBH, I find most of it very amusing and somewhat flattering. It's tough sometimes being a celebrity - haha! As they say, there's only one thing worse than being talked about, and that's NOT being talked about! :eyebrows: ;)

Marco.

I try to pop over there once a month for shits n giggles. Bit feckin strange innit. Although if you want strange you should've taken a look at wigwam.net. Dunno if it's still going.

Marco
05-10-2012, 16:13
Ha - well let's face it, that's all it's good for. You're hardly likely to learn anything useful there about hi-fi or music!!

wigwam.net? Lol - that's Peck's old place: a veritable haven for the most brain damaged of nutters. The least said about that place the better! :mental:

Marco.

Dingdong
05-10-2012, 16:25
wigwam.net? Lol - that's Peck's old place: a veritable haven for the most brain damaged of nutters. The least said about that place the better! :mental:

Marco.

Just checked. It's gone now. Wierdest forum I ever read. And I have read some wierd forums in my time.

Mr. C
05-10-2012, 16:41
My thoughts

Let sleeping dog lie

(An excellent M. Schenker composition from the early 80's)

Macca
05-10-2012, 18:36
I'm also of the opinion that responding to this sort of nonesense is counter productive. If it was witty and well observed that would at least be something but it is an epic fail in that regard. Although I feel I must reproduce this morsel from the inimitable Daniel Quinn:

'It would seem you are correct Mr Cawley as once again only the usual couple of pillocks engage in his unjust attack and then the thread descends in to inane drivel and crude schoolboy sexual innuendo, which for some reason is a constant craving of il deuce .'

Sounds like a review of a Spinal Tap album! Proof positive that we are getting it right.

WOStantonCS100
05-10-2012, 18:45
Fair enough to let it lie... ;)

His "bread bin" still looks pretty freakin' horrid even if it by chance does offer any kind of additional isolation. No matter the case, I'm sure if DC needs any more original ideas, he'll just nip over to Kevin's, Mike's, Paul's or Arthur's website and pilfer at will.

chelsea
05-10-2012, 18:56
Not sure why this is really of any interest unless you want to buy a timestep.
Remember it is someones buisness.

Marco
05-10-2012, 19:20
I'm also of the opinion that responding to this sort of nonesense is counter productive. If it was witty and well observed that would at least be something but it is an epic fail in that regard. Although I feel I must reproduce this morsel from the inimitable Daniel Quinn:

'It would seem you are correct Mr Cawley as once again only the usual couple of pillocks engage in his unjust attack and then the thread descends in to inane drivel and crude schoolboy sexual innuendo, which for some reason is a constant craving of il deuce .'

Sounds like a review of a Spinal Tap album! Proof positive that we are getting it right.

Hahaha - priceless! :lolsign:

What makes it even funnier is that we're being judged by the king of pillocks himself: the very man who invented the phenomenon!! On that note, I think the thread has now run its course, as it's clear we're getting no nearer to finding out any answers to the situation with the Timestep forum.

Marco.