PDA

View Full Version : Hello from me...

Colin^
11-02-2009, 21:34
Hi there. :)

I just discovered this forum existed thanks to HiFi Worlds' letter pages in its January 2009 edition. I look forward to having a read and enjoying the company of music and audio fans.

Beechwoods
11-02-2009, 21:44
Hi there Colin. Thanks for saying hello! So what do you listen to your music on? Are you a vinyl or digital fan?

Whichever way you mix it up, welcome to AOS! I hope you enjoy it here :)

Colin^
11-02-2009, 22:18
Hi there and thank you for the welcome. I am actually both. :)

But haven't had an LP system since march 1982. I got rid of my stereo system then and didn't get back into listening to music and audio until the very late 1990's and then bought a CD system. (long story) But I discovered the joy of music on a windup gramaphone as a boy, and from a teen listened on a turntable based system only until 1982.

However I get a great deal of pleasure from CD, and unlike many who seem only to hear its flaws, I rarely with the music I listen to have a problem with CD. :eyebrows:

However there are times when I am sure vinyl 'sounded' better in my mind on albums of artists I have listened to over the 30 years , (Roger Waters Mark Knoftler) and I have heard both live, and on both vinyl and CD, in the 80s and in the 2000's. I have heard a lot of artists perform Live that I actually listen to on CD and while the dynamics of the performaces are there, the tonal quality isn't always imho. Hence the reason perhaps I use a hybrid CDP and Power amps and tube preamp.

Then again... I may just be imaging it, things were always better when we were young.... even the icecream.

Seriously though, I have thought about giving vinyl a sping a few of my favourite albums don't quite gel on digital. 10cc The Original soundtrack and Between the Lines by Janis Ian were magical on vinyl, yet don't seem to have the same magic on CD.

Filterlab
12-02-2009, 13:32
Hello and welcome to The Art of Sound!