PDA

View Full Version : Noisy T/T motor

Bazil
03-10-2012, 17:58
My Thorens TD160 is making an annoying noise, its only audible at the quiet bits of a record , but you know whats its like if its there it has to be sorted :doh:

Obviously no new motors available, would a s/h turn out to be the same?

bobbasrah
03-10-2012, 18:24
My Thorens TD160 is making an annoying noise, its only audible at the quiet bits of a record , but you know whats its like if its there it has to be sorted :doh:

Obviously no new motors available, would a s/h turn out to be the same?

Have to guess that you have identified the motor itself as the actual noise source Barry? A lubrication job possibly? They are pretty reliable motors normally.:scratch:

Think I saw options for 24v DC motors at one point for these decks also, along the lines of the newer ones...

chelsea
03-10-2012, 18:37
I have a thorens motor but can't remember if they are the same as the 160.
Pretty sure the one i have is from a 150.

YNWaN
03-10-2012, 19:14
What kind of annoying noise exactly?

Bazil
04-10-2012, 13:15
What kind of annoying noise exactly?

It used to be just whirring noise which I suppose is normal, it still does that plus a "low clunking" is probably the best way to describe it.
It remains the same with the belt off.

YNWaN
04-10-2012, 13:46
Hmm... I can't exactly remember now, but I seem to recall that the Thorens motor is tensioned against the top plate with a spring (or similar) - it may have come loose.

Turn the outer platter upside down on the inner platter and observe the motor pulley when you start and run the deck.

Bazil
04-10-2012, 13:50
I've actually had the motor running on its own disconnected from the deck.
I tried a bit of oil but its just the same. I suppose I could take a punt on a s/h one, there are a couple going for £40-50.

bobbasrah
04-10-2012, 13:59
It used to be just whirring noise which I suppose is normal, it still does that plus a "low clunking" is probably the best way to describe it.
It remains the same with the belt off.

If it is stilling clunking with the belt off, that is a weird one Barry, and definitely not related to mounting it.
Assuming there is no obvious wear allowing the spindle to slop to one side, could this be something worn in the pulley assembly, which I think was referred to as a form of clutch for some reason.:scratch:

Have not dismantled one, but from memory it was held in place by grub screws through the top brass piece, accessed by pressing down the top plastic ring.

Bazil
04-10-2012, 14:04
Hi Bob
I did take the pulley assembly apart last month, it didn't appear too bad but without seeing a new one I couldn't really tell if there was much wear. Sorry for being a bit vague with my replies but the problem isn't obvious.

YNWaN
04-10-2012, 14:06
It's only a clutch because the belt dips on it at startup, due to the motor being at an angle - it's the same idea that Linn used.

YNWaN
04-10-2012, 14:08
I've actually had the motor running on its own disconnected from the deck.
I tried a bit of oil but its just the same. I suppose I could take a punt on a s/h one, there are a couple going for £40-50.

Oh, sorry, didn't see this. If it still clunks when in the hand it seems likely that the bearings have worn.

bobbasrah
04-10-2012, 14:26
Any slop in the bearing should be fairly obvious, but certainly possible.
A couple of related posts elsewhere...
http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=35350
and here
http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=25437&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15
do refer to bearings and a clunk, perhaps worth a read....
Mark's suggestion of motor tilt, among others are mentioned...

Bazil
04-10-2012, 14:55
Ok thanks for the links I'll have a read and see if I can sort it out,