PDA

View Full Version : Belkin PureAV speaker cable re-termination woes.

Martinh
03-10-2012, 14:30
Hi all,

I picked up a 12 foot pair of these on ebay, with a plan to cut them in half and use them for bi-amping purposes.

Oh dear...:(

Having cut one of them in half, I discovered that the construction is less than conventional, with different size strands and some individually insulated.

I've tried to strip the insulation off with a knife and wire strippers, but the thin ones mostly just snap off, leaving just the thicker ones. Not good :scratch:

There's obviously a reason for the construction, so I don't want to end up with a compromised cable.

Has anyone successfully re-terminated these cables and if so, what was your technique please? Or do I just chuck them away?

isuckedmandelsonslemons
03-10-2012, 14:54
I know a bloke who could sell you another pair.

brian2957
03-10-2012, 15:25
Hi martin , these cables are indeed very difficult to work with . I believe the different thicknesses of wires are designed to carry different parts of the audio spectrum such as bass and treble, as in Kimber' varistrand' cables http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?pf_id=3142 . The best way to strip the insulation off the wires is by using a flame i.e cigarette lighter to burn it off and then lightly scrape off the remnants. I then screwed off the plugs and soldered the bare wires into them . TBH with you having had this experience I would take the advice of the guys and buy another pair and leave well alone . This task is a major PITA. Good luck.

mido
03-10-2012, 15:33
I also know a bloke who has a spare pair he could sell you. :)

Why mess around with trying to re-terminate them? I have found that they coil up quite nicely and neatly behind things.

RichB
03-10-2012, 15:46
Sorry for jumping in but if Martin doesnt want any of those pair up for grabs them by all means PM me. Perhaps we can work something out. I notice they are 20quid delivered from the bay so it might not even be worth it.

Martinh
03-10-2012, 17:43
Thanks chaps,

I need 2 pairs now, as I've chopped one of my pair in half :doh:

Ideally, I need 2 pairs of 2 meters long. I've got cables everywhere, so don't really want to coil them up.

Anyone got a couple of shorter pairs to sell?

In the meantime, I'll get the blow torch out and see if I can save them :(

Cheers,

The Grand Wazoo
03-10-2012, 17:50
I've done this - it's a bit fiddly, but not too hard. I used a pair of wire strippers that have an adjustable jaw setting that ensure the wire isn't gripped or cut. I never felt the need to apply heat, though that's what I'd have tried if I didn't have the right tool.

Tarzan
03-10-2012, 20:48
I've done this - it's a bit fiddly, but not too hard. I used a pair of wire strippers that have an adjustable jaw setting that ensure the wire isn't gripped or cut. I never felt the need to apply heat, though that's what I'd have tried if I didn't have the right tool.

Just out of interest Chris, what did you re-terminate the cables with and was it worth it as the speaker plugs look like a signal blocker to me.

Wakefield Turntables
03-10-2012, 21:06
Ive got three sets of these cables in their original guise, they are extremely good without modding them, why not just order a new pair and leave alone :scratch:

The Black Adder
03-10-2012, 21:14
... or maybe buy some Talk 3?

I am thinking of moving to Talk 3 from these...

The Grand Wazoo
03-10-2012, 21:24
Just out of interest Chris, what did you re-terminate the cables with ........

I've got three sets - two have bananas at one end & spades at the other. I use the screw ends but with different tips (those tips they come with are not good in the terminals of my Levinson power amps). Those are in my main system.
For the other set I have just tinned the ends for another amp/speaker combination on a different room.

I can't comment on the quality of the plugs - I chose the Belkins as a good quality, sensible design of reasonable price (silly low price, if I'm honest!) in order to stop messing about with cables - I spent years doing that & thought it about time to put a stop to it. One of the best things I've done for my hi-fi for years!

vinylspinner
03-10-2012, 21:24
Martin,

May be able to help you with this one, pm sent.

cheers

Nigel

Tarzan
03-10-2012, 22:29
I've got three sets - two have bananas at one end & spades at the other. I use the screw ends but with different tips (those tips they come with are not good in the terminals of my Levinson power amps). Those are in my main system.
For the other set I have just tinned the ends for another amp/speaker combination on a different room.

I can't comment on the quality of the plugs - I chose the Belkins as a good quality, sensible design of reasonable price (silly low price, if I'm honest!) in order to stop messing about with cables - I spent years doing that & thought it about time to put a stop to it. One of the best things I've done for my hi-fi for years!

Cheers Chris, l have two sets of speaker cables, the Belkins and some 5N Silver jobbies, the Belkins are so musical, l really like them, however l do feel that plugs are a bottle neck to making them sound even better, and have heard a few horror stories regarding re- terminating them and indeed using them bare- especially for a numpty such as myself.