PDA

View Full Version : Steven Wilson: Putting the "Progressive" back in Progressive Rock

Tim
01-10-2012, 17:12
Steven Wilson: Luck's What You Make It
By JOHN KELMAN, Published: October 1, 2012

The end of Porcupine Tree

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/media/medium/1/3/f/9adccaa0de09ed3417e8c12d75c46.jpg

Well I thought this was on the cards, but had not seen anything until today to confirm it, but it 'seems' as if Porcupine Tree have ended and Steven Wilson is now a confirmed solo artist. Sad news for committed PT fans, but for me it has only ever been about the man himself.

There is a very interesting interview regarding progressive rock and where he is now in the below link, from the on-line journal 'all.about.jazz' which makes very interesting reading. It also confirms there is a Steven Wilson World Tour in 2013, can't wait :)
Its worth reading if you have any interest in him, PT, his current re-mastering work or modern prog.

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=42991#.UGnMJVEfFaQ

John
01-10-2012, 17:36
See he has Guthrie in his band the guy a monster on guitar

Tim
01-10-2012, 17:41
See he has Guthrie in his band the guy a monster on guitar
People are starting to take note of SW (at last) and I think his next project could be something of a watershed for him - I have said it before, but I'll say it again, the man's a musical genius.

That's some band he has put together John, can't wait to hear/see what he produces this time :eyebrows:

John
01-10-2012, 17:45
Yes some serious musicans
Sometimes it works and think with Steven it has more than a good chance

twickers
01-10-2012, 17:55
I remember watching porcupine tree at rock city in the early nineties. The bass player was sat down 'cos he had a bad back and steven wilson was taking the piss out of him:lol: Great band.

Sonority
01-10-2012, 18:26
During the last gig of the 'Grace for Drowning' tour in London it was made very plain that PT was very much on the 'backburner' but there is more than likely another album waiting some (long) time ahead.
He was massively excited by the sound of his new band (hardly surprising with that much talent) and was already writing songs which are right now being recorded in LA (loads on his facebook page).
By the way he was talking this band is the one he plans to do an awful lot with, and PT was, in effect a means to an end of getting his (early) music on the road, which eventually grew into a real 'band'.

If you want a hint check out the 'new' drummer.
I have seen some greats in my time - Marco Minnemann is truly exceptional.

That review is a great read (took me a while during lunch today) and for a change a real in-depth look at someone who loves his art.

Tim
01-10-2012, 19:35
I have seen some greats in my time - Marco Minnemann is truly exceptional.
Indeed, a great show. I was mightily impressed by Nick Beggs too, especially on the Chapman Stick.
I'm really excited about 2013 TBH, will try and see the show as many times as I can. I saw Porcupine Tree 3 nights in a row once, Leeds, London & Bristol - I was knackered!

Covenant
01-10-2012, 19:55
I hope the new band means he writes something a bit more cheerful!

Tim
01-10-2012, 20:00
I hope the new band means he writes something a bit more cheerful!
Cheerful progressive rock . . . now there's an interesting concept :scratch:
(I wouldn't hold your breath though)

sparrow
01-10-2012, 20:15
Sad to see PT go but there is a live album from..??? can't remember but it contains some of the RAH show on disc two. Agree that Mr. Wilson is a genious. I've followed him since the Stupid Dream album.

Tim
01-10-2012, 21:04
Sad to see PT go but there is a live album from..??? can't remember but it contains some of the RAH show on disc two.
That's Octane Twisted release date 19.11.12. Sadly only 3 songs are included from that rather special RAH show, not sure why or even if it was going to be longer. You were given the impression on the night that the whole show was going to appear on a DVD and Lasse Hoile took a photo of the crowd all holding one hand up à la The Incident cover.

Octane Twisted is available as a Special Limited Edition (3-disc) only from Burning Shed, the Amazon set is a 2-disc.

https://www.burningshed.com/store/porcupinetree/product/169/4174/

https://www.burningshed.com/covers/large3256.jpg

Mines already been pre-ordered - if you want one don't hang about, as with all SW specials they sell out and become collectors items ;)