PDA

View Full Version : Sony Blu-spec CD2

Daniel75
30-09-2012, 22:27
Hiya,

Did a search but cant find any topics about it. Any thoughts?

Sony Music Entertainment Japan will release in December audio CDs made using the updated Blu-spec CD2 manufacturing process.

Blu-spec CD describes a Red Book Compact Disc manufactured by a proprietary process introduced by Sony Music Entertainment Japan in late 2008. It employs the Phase Transition Mastering, the technology developed for mastering of Blu-ray discs, to further perfect the characteristics of Blu-spec CD.

Instead of a traditional infra-red laser, a blue laser is used for recording the pits on the CD master that is needed for disc replication. According to Sony, the blue laser creates about 10 times more precise pits than red laser, causing less distortion in the optical read-out process.

The applied Blu-ray Disc polycarbonate polymer material introduces half the jitter (noise) and thus, high-quality audio reproduction. Sony claims that the produced "Blu-spec CD" discs offer a quality similar to the master.

A Blu-spec CD can be played on all CD players and does not require a blue laser to be read.

On December 5, SME will release 108 Blu-spec CD2 classical music titles.

Some titles available:

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/rcms/music/bluspec2.html

Im curious;)

Alex_UK
02-10-2012, 20:57
Never heard of it before Dan, but I must admit I'm curious too! Will be interesting to see (hear) what happens - there appears to be quite a few on Amazon, but some of the prices... http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=Blu-spec+CD2&rh=n%3A229816%2Ck%3ABlu-spec+CD2

Stratmangler
02-10-2012, 21:01
The remastered Paul Simon stuff sounds dire :doh:
Way too hot, and no dynamics.

Daniel75
02-10-2012, 22:10
I think those on amazon are Blue Spec CD - the first "incarnation" of this format:) Blue Spec CD2 is scheduled for December release - and price wise CD seems to be about 14 pounds in Japan. I'm sure someone will review it just in time for Christmas:)

I wish I could understand this website:) http://www.blu-speccd2.jp

daytona600
05-10-2012, 06:53
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=20726&highlight=replace

wondered myself

Stratmangler
05-10-2012, 07:15
In truth I have heard material from BluSpec CD, and it was shite, because the mastering was shite.
The current swathe of Frank Zappa rereleases on CD are a different matter - OK, some of the recordings are rough (because they were rough recordings), but the masterings are superb, and the the vast majority of them are sourced from the original master tape, with next to no adulteration, which is what Zappa fans have wanted right from the word go.

If BluSpec version whatever is going to justify its existance then the record companies are going to have to look long and hard at the processes taking place before the disc stamper is made.
If they fail to do that then they'll have missed an opportunity to take something that's fairly ubiquitous and improve on it.

Unfortunately record companies generally don't give a rat's arse about quality.

sq225917
05-10-2012, 07:26
Making the pits 10 times more accurate will do bugger all the pit edges are already 100 times smaller than they need to be for Ce to work without jitter coming from the read process.

Nearly all CD masters are made on multi-format presses these days. If they remaster them well then they might be worth a look in.

Stratmangler
05-10-2012, 07:50
Nearly all CD masters are made on multi-format presses these days. If they remaster them well then they might be worth a look in.

"Well" being the most important word there.

daytona600
05-10-2012, 08:42
cd sacd bluspec vinyl All depends on the quality of the source & mastering

Daniel75
06-10-2012, 11:06
cd sacd bluspec vinyl All depends on the quality of the source & mastering

Probably thats why the first batch of those "CD2s" are mainly classical releases which, I would assume, were properly mastered and are sounding great on "normal" CD's anyway :)

Time will tell if this is some kind of "revolutionary" process or just a gimmick:)

Stratmangler
06-10-2012, 11:19
Probably thats why the first batch of those "CD2s" are mainly classical releases which, I would assume, were properly mastered and are sounding great on "normal" CD's anyway :)

Time will tell if this is some kind of "revolutionary" process or just a gimmick:)

It's a sales gimmick :)

jon1
09-10-2012, 19:47
Dan this might be better to under stand http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20120928_562844.html

jon

Reid Malenfant
09-10-2012, 19:58
:rfl:

Oh aye! :D

jon1
09-10-2012, 20:01
:rfl:

Oh aye! :D

Well it translates ok for me:D

jon

synsei
09-10-2012, 20:03
There are two standards apparently, Blue Spec CD & Blue Spec CD2. Dunno what the difference is though :scratch:

sq225917
09-10-2012, 20:14
Yeh , one is bollox the other is utter bollox.

jon1
09-10-2012, 20:21
Yeh , one is bollox the other is utter bollox.

Bugger double bollox simon:eek: i will have to save up:D

jon