PDA

View Full Version : AOS - nowt but praise for you all

Mr Nad
30-09-2012, 20:08
Well, I've been away for a while learning new things, and over the last few months I've been visiting another forum. Not hi-fi related, btw.

The people there were rude, unhelpful, cliquish, arrogant, immature... They made me feel most unwelcome due to my lack of skill. Needless to say, I've left that forum, and learned what I needed without out input from anyone there.

Contrast that with AOS - you have always been friendly, welcoming, willing to share knowledge, bent over backwards to be of assistance, and generally been thoroughly decent chaps. You are mature and respectful, but you know how to have a right good laugh (Three Word's Daily).

So, thanks to you all for making AOS such a superb place to be.

synsei
30-09-2012, 20:15
I think some of that praise should be directed at Marco and his team who run AoS very professionally and yet manage to do so without being either stuffy or aloof. Three cheers for the management: HIP HIP.... :cool:

Rare Bird
30-09-2012, 20:18
There's a couple that posters on AOS that i feel belong to one of those fora full of the type of people yer pointed out, but there you go.but the rest are decent enough folk.

Mr Nad
30-09-2012, 20:37
There's a couple that posters on AOS that i feel belong to one of those fora...

Whereas on 'the other place' there were a couple of posters of the calibre of the majority here.

---

Marco does indeed do a great job, and I cast my thumbs aloft to him.

When you're the new boy in the class, being welcomed by the pupils is important. But if they join in with the class bully, it is deeply unpleasant.

Anyway, I risk babbling on in an unseemly, incoherent manner. So I shall cease... and have a look to see what smut is being propagated in Three Words Daily. :eyebrows:

Marco
30-09-2012, 21:06
Hi Lenny (and others),

Thanks for your positive comments, which are much appreciated. We're very glad that you enjoy it here. No forum is perfect, but we do our best to get the balance right and make AoS a fun and informative place to be.

All we can do though, is (hopefully) build the right framework for that to happen and to create a sense of community. It's you guys, however, who make it what it is and have contributed invaluably to its success. Roll on, 7000 members! :cool:

I wonder if we can we do it before Christmas?

Marco.

Rare Bird
30-09-2012, 21:09
If i change mi name a couple hundred times will that help? :eyebrows:

Marco
30-09-2012, 21:12
Lol - it always adds to the intrigue :D

Marco.

icehockeyboy
30-09-2012, 22:04
Well, I've been away for a while learning new things, and over the last few months I've been visiting another forum. Not hi-fi related, btw.

The people there were rude, unhelpful, cliquish, arrogant, immature... They made me feel most unwelcome due to my lack of skill. Needless to say, I've left that forum, and learned what I needed without out input from anyone there.

Contrast that with AOS - you have always been friendly, welcoming, willing to share knowledge, bent over backwards to be of assistance, and generally been thoroughly decent chaps. You are mature and respectful, but you know how to have a right good laugh (Three Word's Daily).

So, thanks to you all for making AOS such a superb place to be.

Not Hifi eh............well I know of one that is related to Hifi that sounds like it has the same bunch of people as members......:eyebrows:

Alex_UK
02-10-2012, 20:50
Thanks for the comments Lenny, and glad to have you back. :)

dantheman91
03-10-2012, 07:28
Excellent place to be. always helpfull and made me some money during my stay thanks chaps.

RichB
03-10-2012, 09:01
You are all most welcome....:lol:

Marco
03-10-2012, 10:18
Yo - Rich is da man! :king:

Marco.

Tim
03-10-2012, 16:50
Yup, its all good here as I have said myself on more than one occasion. I recently popped over to another forum, as I actually had something of value to offer and wanted to help out, as their knowledge regarding file based audio is not what it is here. Got sniped at almost immediately by some nay sayers, so I checked out. I don't have time to help people if all they are going to do is try and pull you to pieces, shame really as I would have liked to have put something in.

Having said that its good to venture out, as it re-confirms that AoS is a little different. :)

realysm42
04-10-2012, 15:02
I like it here; I came as a noob to all things audio and pretty much everything I know now is throught his forum as people have taken the time to actually explain things.

Group hug?

Alex_UK
04-10-2012, 16:57
:grouphug:

MartinT
04-10-2012, 17:16
Thanks for the praise, Lenny. It's nice to hear but don't fear that we'll ever become complacent. I too have experiences of some other forums (related to work and cars) and there is none quite like AoS. Long may it continue.

isuckedmandelsonslemons
04-10-2012, 17:49
I couldn't agree more. But never mind me.

What about this for a ringing endorsement for AoS. My son (18) who is embarking on a hifi related business venture joined AoS and he's chuffed to bits with how he's been welcomed. The positive comments have given him a massive boost and suggestions made have been taken on board. He was very sceptical of forums but his experience of this one has almost turned him.

I say almost because unfortunately he's had a frosty welcome on another forum. I say frosty but downright pig ignorant would be more accurate.

When he makes his first million he'll treat us all to pork pies and foaming ale.

AoS is great. Nutters, eccentrics, weirdos and oddballs but all nice fellas. Thank you all.

Mr Nad
04-10-2012, 17:50
Another thing, I feel perfectly at ease buying gear from other members here. Even when I was a complete and utter noob, and could so easily have been taken advantage of, the welcoming embrace into the "AoS family" was reassuring.

I can only liken AoS to the old 'Snug' in the Rover's Return... a place for we chaps (and lasses) to chat at the end of the day, wind down, perhaps wind each other up a little, and go to sleep satisfied that the world isn't completely hostile.

MartinT
04-10-2012, 17:57
Nutters, eccentrics, weirdos and oddballs

Did you have to list ALL my vices? ;)

isuckedmandelsonslemons
04-10-2012, 18:07
Originally Posted by isuckedmandelsonslemons (http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?p=368357)<br />
Nutters, eccentrics, weirdos, oddballs and Phil Collins stalkers <br />
<br />

FIXED

anthonyTD
04-10-2012, 19:42
We didnt mention the cross dressing! :eyebrows::lol:
A...

The Grand Wazoo
04-10-2012, 19:54
Is that really a vice?
Only asking 'cos I was furious this morning when I realised I'd put my shreddies on inside out.

walpurgis
06-10-2012, 10:08
Yup, I like it here. Plenty of knowledgeable and friendly people who seem to put up with my slightly quirky sense of humour.

Slawts
23-10-2012, 20:44
It is nice to come somewhere and not be laughed at for making a positive comment about cables. Especially as it's all in my head and really just a placebo effect/ been brainwashed/ taken advantage of by evil cablemongers etc etc :mental:

isuckedmandelsonslemons
24-10-2012, 06:06
Is that really a vice?
Only asking 'cos I was furious this morning when I realised I'd put my shreddies on inside out.

Good idea with the shreddies. Should get at least another week out of them now.

Mr Nad
24-10-2012, 09:23
Yup, I like it here. Plenty of knowledgeable and friendly people who seem to put up with my slightly quirky sense of humour.

It's your quirky choice of avatar that catches my attention :stalks:. You have a different once every time a read a post from you. The current one needs a health warning - it might induce a fit.

The humour here is very good. Politically incorrect, as humour should be.

walpurgis
29-10-2012, 00:27
Just spotted your post Lenny, a bit belatedly I admit.

A while ago I announced my intention to set a world record on avatar changes. Just a bit of fun. I keep an eye out for unusual images to use.

Yes, there is a good blend of humour and generally good natured chat here, although I suspect there may be some rather sick contributors judging by the appalling taste here and there (I'm not ruling myself out if I'm being honest).

Mr Nad
29-10-2012, 07:58
A while ago I announced my intention to set a world record on avatar changes.

I think you've managed that. It's confusing to me, as I rely to some extent to identify the poster. And you are meddling with my brain.

I suspect there may be some rather sick contributors judging by the appalling taste here and there.

Perhaps. But despite the depravity (Three Words Daily...) I don't detect much in the way of malicious perversion. It like The Inbetweeners here.

Clunge.

RichB
30-10-2012, 13:08
With no disrespect to our international (and female) members intended I love AoS for its inherent Britishness....

Civility, a stiff upper lip, seaside postcard-esqe sense of humour, a gentlemanly sense of fair play, a bit eccentric and a bit academic with an appreciation for the finer things in life. All of these things sadly a bit lacking in the modern world and mores the pity.

For me it is the forum equivalent of a not too exclusive chap's club where one can unwind, smokes one's pipe and plot daring (and costly) adventures in the audio realm with likeminded fellows.

:cool:

isuckedmandelsonslemons
30-10-2012, 13:41
With no disrespect to our international (and female) members intended I love AoS for its inherent Britishness....

Civility, a stiff upper lip, seaside postcard-esqe sense of humour, a gentlemanly sense of fair play, a bit eccentric and a bit academic with an appreciation for the finer things in life. All of these things sadly a bit lacking in the modern world and mores the pity.

For me it is the forum equivalent of a not too exclusive chap's club where one can unwind, smokes one's pipe and plot daring (and costly) adventures in the audio realm with likeminded fellows.

:cool:

A perfect description. You are obviously a man of letters.

Barry
31-10-2012, 16:12
A perfect description. You are obviously a man of letters.

Couldn't agree more. Just perfect Rich!

Mr Nad
31-10-2012, 16:53
Yes, that's spot on.

kininigin
20-11-2012, 19:00
All we can do though, is (hopefully) build the right framework for that to happen and to create a sense of community. It's you guys, however, who make it what it is and have contributed invaluably to its success. Roll on, 7000 members! :cool:

I wonder if we can we do it before Christmas?

Marco.

Wonder no more 7029 members :yay:

isuckedmandelsonslemons
20-11-2012, 19:32
7029 members. Great. But can I piss on the parade? A high percentage are almost totally inactive which is a great pity. The forum would be even better if more people chipped in.

Barry
20-11-2012, 20:06
I'm confused: the number of members listed in the "Members List" under the "Community" soft key is 2619, of which 72 have made no posts whatsoever.

So is it 7,029 is it 2,619 or somewhere in-between? :scratch:

Beechwoods
20-11-2012, 21:21
Good spot Barry, it seems that a new Usergroup I set up to manage the permissions of Newly Registered members - into which I migrated all 0 post members at that time - wasn't set to appear in the Members List.

This has now been corrected :)

Certain Usergroups are excluded from the Members List as we only feel the need to list members in good standing, but the 'Headline Number' and the number in the Members Lists should tie up more reliably now :)

Firebottle
21-11-2012, 16:04
Civility, a stiff upper lip, seaside postcard-esqe sense of humour, a gentlemanly sense of fair play, a bit eccentric and a bit academic with an appreciation for the finer things in life.

I like that and would like to think I am a bit 'like' it as well.

If I could add anything it would be a generosity of spirit, folks who reciprocate a favour in a heartbeat.

Cheers, Alan