PDA

View Full Version : Turntable dilemma / Advice sought ?

Audio Al
30-09-2012, 15:24
:scratch::scratch::scratch:

Here is my dilemma

I own a Technics SL1200 MK11 in standard form

And I have the possibility of buying a Garrard 301 in standard form :eyebrows:

So Do I spend the 301 money upgrading the Technics or sell the Technics and

go for the 301 :scratch::scratch:

The arm on the 301 is a Acos Lustre tonearm

My head hurts :doh: Help :)

Stratmangler
30-09-2012, 15:31
What's the 301 mounted in?

The Grand Wazoo
30-09-2012, 15:37
How far do you want to go with whatever you end up with? Do you want to spend time & money perfecting whatever you buy & are you up for a bit of DIY - these are some of the questions you need to answer.

John
30-09-2012, 15:38
Really depends what you want the 301 a lovelly Turntable but the 121o if you willing to invest and modify will take you further
Both are great Turntables

Audio Al
30-09-2012, 15:46
What's the 301 mounted in?

Chipboard :doh:

Audio Al
30-09-2012, 15:48
How far do you want to go with whatever you end up with? Do you want to spend time & money perfecting whatever you buy & are you up for a bit of DIY - these are some of the questions you need to answer.

Yes I am up for some DIY and tinkering , I went to see the 301 today it played well the speed control worked as did the speed change so its a runner

Stratmangler
30-09-2012, 15:49
Chipboard :doh:

Then I'd suggest modding the SL 1200.

John
30-09-2012, 15:50
How much are you willing to invest is this something you wish to keep pushing the envelope out or once you spend a certain amount stay where you are

Audio Al
30-09-2012, 15:56
How much are you willing to invest is this something you wish to keep pushing the envelope out or once you spend a certain amount or stay where you are

I would like the 301 as its noted to be a good TT and its a GARRARD ( nostalgia ) I can make a plinth for it as I have carpentry equipment ,I have used the SL for some months now and am happy with it apart from the hum

Defiantly cant afford to tune up both

chelsea
30-09-2012, 16:16
I'd get to listen to a well sorted 301 and 1210 myself first.

John
30-09-2012, 16:54
Good to speak to either Domanic or Clive around the 301 their a few upgrades like the bearing upgrade that might be worth the effort, the plinth is really important, slate if you can afford would be worth the effort, otherwise a custom plinth or good DIY job

RobbieGong
30-09-2012, 17:42
I agree, See if you can listen to a well sorted 1210 and 301 (The ideal would be in your own system, but I know that is often not easy to achieve). Also 12XX's dont hum, has is it always hummed :scratch: ??

Audio Al
30-09-2012, 19:08
I agree, See if you can listen to a well sorted 1210 and 301 (The ideal would be in your own system, but I know that is often not easy to achieve). Also 12XX's dont hum, has is it always hummed :scratch: ??

In a ideal world yes but I cant see that happening :(

YNWaN
30-09-2012, 19:54
The reason you are in a dilemma is there is no clear answer to this choice. Both decks can be improved significantly and made in to something really good - but (and it is quite a big but), both will require quite a lot of expenditure, and modification, if you want to get the very best from them.

Marco
30-09-2012, 20:12
Al, think about it this way:

As you already own both T/Ts, and I presume have listened to them at length, which one of the two do you warm to most, sonically, aesthetically (plinths aside), and in terms of which you'd be most proud to own?

Also, in one sentence, describe to me your idea of a perfect sound from a turntable :)

Marco.

Audio Al
01-10-2012, 05:06
Al, think about it this way:

As you already own both T/Ts, and I presume have listened to them at length, which one of the two do you warm to most, sonically, aesthetically (plinths aside), and in terms of which you'd be most proud to own?

Also, in one sentence, describe to me your idea of a perfect sound from a turntable

Marco.

Hi Marco

Unfortunately I don't own the 301 , but have been and seen the TT played 2 tracks from LP;s I own , the demo amp and speakers were Amstrad :doh: Thats all the seller had available ( selling off his dads belongings due to bereavement ) so only a short 15 min demo

which one of the two do you warm to most, sonically, aesthetically (plinths aside), and in terms of which you'd be most proud to own?

I like the looks of the Tech and the 301 the Tech being more stylish and the 301 more old school retro

and in terms of which you'd be most proud to own? I would like to own both but finances wont allow and the more I think about it :scratch: the more I fancy the 301

Also, in one sentence, describe to me your idea of a perfect sound from a turntable

I would like accurate reproduction of the original sound from the LP allowing me to hear high's low's mid range and bass , sound worth listening too , If that makes sense :)

Beechwoods
01-10-2012, 07:48
I think you'll probably find that the 301 costs more to get to a minimal level of performance that matches the stock 1210 with Isonoe feet (£115 new) and a decent cartridge (c. £150). You'll have to invest in a decent cart for the 301 anyway.

The 301 is likely to turn more heads, particularly amongst those who judge on looks alone but the 1210 offers better Sound per pound value.

What arm and cart does the 301 come with?

DiveDeepDog
04-10-2012, 00:29
My 401 had an Acos arm when I bought it, its certainly not bad, the label of Japanese 3009 isn't far off.

I was in a rush to recoup some money so the arm, and original chipboard plinth were sold on pretty quick. (I already had a Rega)

Its possible to tune the 3/401 with the type of plinth construction, slate is very clean and dynamic, ply warmer. If you can manage to build a plinth, a slate arm board is a good compromise, and affordable :-)

Matk