PDA

View Full Version : Afternoon!

3dit0r
30-09-2012, 14:37
Hi,

My name's James and I'm an audioholic. Seriously, I think this hobby is very addictive, or at least I find it so.

I've been into hi-fi since I was a kid, and had god knows how much gear over the years at various stages of my life.

I missed the vinyl era, and it's too onerous trying to find my collection again on it, no matter how good some maintain it is.

I currently have two systems- a very purist analogue system (with CD front end and Avondale amplification) and a Meridian based system with DSP speakers.

Edit: forgot to say that I listen to all types of music from classical through to metal and everything in between, as I was a musician and singer in both rock bands and in orchestras, and a trained opera singer, so it's important my system is balanced and realistic or it really annoys my ears!

Don't wanna go on too long, just saying hi!

James

The Grand Wazoo
30-09-2012, 14:42
Hi James,
Welcome to The Art of Sound.
So, what components do your systems consist of & how about letting us know what sort of music you like to play?

Cheers

3dit0r
30-09-2012, 16:10
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the welcome!

You're absolutely right - I updated the post in terms of listening preferences and added systems to my signature.

James

John
30-09-2012, 19:25
Welcome to AOS

Spectral Morn
30-09-2012, 20:55
Welcome to AOS

3dit0r
30-09-2012, 22:25
Thanks guys :)

Wow- what are those speakers on your av, John?

James

3dit0r
30-09-2012, 22:39
Equipment list moved to 'about me' on profile page as it seemed a little long on the end of every post!

John
01-10-2012, 04:34
The speakers are Open Baffles with Hawthorne drivers
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6143&highlight=open+baffle+speakers

3dit0r
01-10-2012, 08:09
Brilliant stuff- well done! I've been DIYing more and more recently, after I built my Avondale amp from one of Les' kits, and now making up some interconnects to my own design and planning a valve amp build (as much for the fun and knowledge, skills it gives me if nothing else). I've been intrigued by OB speakers for some time but always been put off by complex calculations for the baffle size/shape, so your design is intriguing, as it's essentially no-baffle! I often find most speakers have too much, and/or muddy, in distinct bass anyway, which may well be cabinet coloration, resonance, or porting...

Puffin
01-10-2012, 17:03
I often find most speakers have too much, and/or muddy, in distinct bass anyway, which may well be cabinet coloration, resonance, or porting...

You aint heard my system then:D Cabinet overload:eek:

Ello.

3dit0r
01-10-2012, 17:27
Haha, what you using, then?

John
01-10-2012, 17:52
Brilliant stuff- well done! I've been DIYing more and more recently, after I built my Avondale amp from one of Les' kits, and now making up some interconnects to my own design and planning a valve amp build (as much for the fun and knowledge, skills it gives me if nothing else). I've been intrigued by OB speakers for some time but always been put off by complex calculations for the baffle size/shape, so your design is intriguing, as it's essentially no-baffle! I often find most speakers have too much, and/or muddy, in distinct bass anyway, which may well be cabinet coloration, resonance, or porting...

Mine have no colorations and really good bass. The designis not to complex the one thing good about the Hawthorne site is they done all those calculations so its just about getting your baffle to fit in certain diamensions.
I think before going down this route its good to hear what they can do

3dit0r
01-10-2012, 17:55
Cool- I'm not aware of Hawthorne, I'll do a web search for them!

John
01-10-2012, 17:58
http://www.hawthorneaudio.com/
They have a friendly forum too

3dit0r
03-10-2012, 09:19
Thanks, appreciated!

They sound interesting indeed- I must try to hear some before ordering blind from the US, I think...

Marco
03-10-2012, 17:28
Hi James,

Welcome to AoS - you seem to be settling in nicely :)

Just a quick one... Where in England are you? We like a large town name, near where people live, or region, stated on profiles, as it makes for more of a community - cheers! :cool:

Marco.

3dit0r
03-10-2012, 17:40
Hello!

I'm on the Isle of Wight, for my sins :)

James

Marco
03-10-2012, 19:51
Thanks, James. I've now added that to your profile :)

Marco.

MartinT
03-10-2012, 19:56
Hi James and welcome to AoS!

3dit0r
03-10-2012, 20:14
Thanks guys, certainly a warm welcome :)

Alex_UK
03-10-2012, 20:21
Looks like I missed the welcome party - welcome to AoS and hope you enjoy the forum. :)