PDA

View Full Version : Can a Linn LK100 be re-capped?

Macca
30-09-2012, 14:00
Been trying out a Sony 55ES power amp in place of my LK100. Long story short overall it is not as good with my speakers as the Linn. It does have a lot more 'air' in the top and is more open in the mids - quite surprisingly so compared to the Linn. I'm sure the LK100 did not sound so closed in when I got it so I am wondering if the caps are on their way out. It did go through a phase of 'rustling' a few years back but this passed and has not re-occurred - I put it down to some local RFI at the time but now I am not so sure.

I have a semi-tame engineer who I could get to do it for me if it is possible.

BTW by 'rustling' I mean like the sound crepe paper makes when you crush it and not stealing cattle - although it is a Scottish amp, of course.

DSJR
30-09-2012, 14:38
The LK100 was a grainy bag of nails - and I heard MANY examples in my times in Northampton. Although it's better than the Intek/Powertek models, it's way behind what many of us here are used to. Sorry to be so negative about it, but it has to be said I think.

The LK140 (not the LK85, which is gutless) was a FAR better amp. Very little grain, a very clear midband and treble and with a lean dry bass well suited to their bassy speakers of the late 80's.

My advice in the first instance would be to spend your money on an LK140 since you seem to like Linn's way of doing things and it will answer your criticism perfectly... I think the LK100 would need more of a re-design in all honesty. All new caps are going to do is bring it back to almost new.

Apologies for the disparaging remarks.

P.S. The preamp you have lends itself to many fine vintage power amps too, but more than I can discuss so early in the thread :lol:

istari_knight
30-09-2012, 14:52
Does it run hot ? Do you leave it turned on overnight ? If the answer is no then it likely wont need a recap.

IME Linn are usually generous with the cap voltage ratings which helps increase lifespan + from memory they are mostly surface mount (save for the power supply) so unless your mate has a SMT rework station it will be hard work.

I can only echo what Dave says.... I reckon you could afford an LK140 after selling both the LK100/Sony which would be a nice upgrade.

DSJR
30-09-2012, 14:57
The LK100 onwards amps and indeed the Klout, run mostly barely warm. Only under a fault condition would they run hot.

I can't remember, but the Lk85 and 140 have a standby function which is adjustable. After a few minutes unused, the amp will shut down to a standby/sleep mode. Putting some music through will switch it back on.

Macca
30-09-2012, 15:13
James - it used to on 24/7 for several years until I got the Croft pre and now it is off when not in use. If the caps are surface mount then I guess a replace is out of the question?

Dave - You are way too disparaging of the LK100 - Like the Millenium Falcon - its got it where it counts. And it can drive my speakers properly where others can't. I'll grant you it can be bettered, but with what? I don't fancey an LK140.

istari_knight
30-09-2012, 15:50
Well a Google reveals they arent entirely surface mount... Just mostly.

If it has to be a power amp the old Harman/Kardon Citation's are rather good & usually go for a song.

Macca
30-09-2012, 16:21
I'm quite keen to try the recapping rather than continue adding to my collection of amps ;) -- does it look from that photo as though it is do-able?

istari_knight
30-09-2012, 16:31
I'm quite keen to try the recapping rather than continue adding to my collection of amps ;) -- does it look from that photo as though it is do-able?

Yes, the 'though hole' capacitors can be changed easily. Also notice the 4 tantalum caps (yellow) near the power supply... I dont think I've ever seen these outside of naim (on modern equipment anyway) & know lots of techs replace them with electrolytics... They are infamous for reliability problems & sounding far from neutral although personally I've never had a problem with them.

You can get very good quality panasonic capacitors from farnell & RS or for audiophile approved look at hificollective.co.uk

Macca
30-09-2012, 16:34
Excellent - that's what I wanted to hear, James. A trip to the amp hospital for Mr Linn, I think...

istari_knight
30-09-2012, 16:38
:thumbsup:

Mr Kipling
30-09-2012, 16:50
Your "semi-tamed" engineer friend, Martin, has he had his teeth pulled?

Macca
30-09-2012, 16:52
Nah, only his leg - a couple of times :)