PDA

View Full Version : Nagaoka cartridges

manwithvan
30-09-2012, 12:45
I wanted to open a discussion about three Nagaoka cartridges in current production, namely the MP-110, MP-300 and MP-500. I understand that this range of cartridges work well with high mass unipivots. I also understand that the UK market is limited, but hoped to get any feedback, pound for pound between models.

Tarzan
30-09-2012, 13:07
l use a Nag MP110,and it is a nice cartridge, smooth, musical, warm and kind to surface noise, good for the money:)

julesd68
30-09-2012, 13:43
I use an MP-50 which is the forerunner of the MP-500. Can't really fault it for the money as I was lucky enough to find a NOS one on ebay. I particularly like its treble reproduction which is refined and smooth. Before this I was using an MP-11 so it was a big step up.

DSJR
30-09-2012, 14:49
The older ones over the MP11 were rather highly compliant and sensitive to loading apparently. Didn't stop them sounding very nice in the right system however. I've just brought a recently discovered MP11 down to try and shall do so as soon as I can.

Sorry, don't know the new ones at all, but assume they're a positive development on what went before - and a good reason to push the prices up too.......

manwithvan
30-09-2012, 18:55
Nice to hear you got a big difference between the MP-11 and the MP-50. I'm considering either an MP-110 or an MP-500. How does the MP-50 compare to other cartridges you've owned/heard?

I use an MP-50 which is the forerunner of the MP-500. Can't really fault it for the money as I was lucky enough to find a NOS one on ebay. I particularly like its treble reproduction which is refined and smooth. Before this I was using an MP-11 so it was a big step up.

manwithvan
30-09-2012, 18:56
very interesting - I look forward to hearing about the results, and also which system you're using it in.

The older ones over the MP11 were rather highly compliant and sensitive to loading apparently. Didn't stop them sounding very nice in the right system however. I've just brought a recently discovered MP11 down to try and shall do so as soon as I can.

Sorry, don't know the new ones at all, but assume they're a positive development on what went before - and a good reason to push the prices up too.......

julesd68
01-10-2012, 20:16
Nice to hear you got a big difference between the MP-11 and the MP-50. I'm considering either an MP-110 or an MP-500. How does the MP-50 compare to other cartridges you've owned/heard?

Well there should be a big difference in sound with the huge price differential!

If you know that you like the way Nagaokas sound, I'm sure you would love the MP-500, but if you want to dip your toe in the water so to speak, why not start with one of the cheaper ones ...

I would only consider changing my MP-50 for a decent moving coil like a Shelter or ZYX cart, but I'm in no rush ...

samz
10-10-2012, 22:30
I am currently temporarily using a Nagaoka MP-11 Boron as I wanted to try a Nagaoka Cartridge to see if I liked it's characteristics. My previous cartridge was an Ortofon 2M Blue.

What I like about the MP-11 Boron is is rich sounding midrange and warmer sounding bass, a very analogue sounding cartridge if that makes sense. Also the treble sounds very natural. Drum kits sound better than ever in my system with the Nagaoka, with the timberal quality of the instruments far more noticeable. Soundstage appears deeper to my ears not necessarily any wider. I'm not getting any listening fatigue with the sound as it is not harsh in any way due to it's overall rich sounding tone. Also, the MP-11 Boron does an excellent job are minimising surface noise, a real bonus for me as the majority of my records are 2nd hand purchases.

I am now looking at other cartridges within the Nagaoka Range, it's tonal qualities just seem to suit the way I like to listen to music.

julesd68
17-10-2012, 17:57
I wanted to open a discussion about three Nagaoka cartridges in current production, namely the MP-110, MP-300 and MP-500.

Did you see the brand new MP-500 for sale in the classifieds at a bargain price?

DSJR
17-10-2012, 18:04
I read up an old small-form HiFi Choice cartridge group test today, and the MP10 was rated highly too. Therefore I suspect the MP110 as well as the MP111 would make great alternatives to the AT95E and AT110E's of this world :)

julesd68
17-10-2012, 18:09
The MP-10 was a great cart - kept me happy for years...