PDA

View Full Version : Bushmaster output capabilities

pointwharf
27-09-2012, 21:11
I am trying to build a simple playback system comprising player, probably a SB Touch, DAC / headphone amplifier and active speakers. Budget is modest but expectations high, hence my interest in the Bushmaster.

However having done my research, there are a couple or three possible issues.......

1) The Bushmaster will be driving active monitors, typically 10k ohm impedance with the added complexity of an analogue attenuator on the input. This will be used to optimise overall system gain.

2) The cables will be long, in the region of 3 - 5 metres, though they can be custom built to whatever spec necessary.

So, can the output of the Bushmaster handle such loads without problems?

3) My headphones are quite sensitive, easy to drive types with a load around 50 - 80 ohm. I am one of those people who require the volume level to be accurately set for different pieces of music so the volume pot needs to be easy to set, ie a fair degree of range is required in order to be accurate.

So, Will I have such range or will 'everything happen' between 7 and 9 o'clock making it impossible to set accurate levels?

Sorry to be so intense in my first real post but everything I read about the Bushmaster suggests it is very much what I am looking for, the only question being, will it work in my proposed system configuration?

DSJR
28-09-2012, 06:54
Stan will confirm, but I'd still get a proper line buffer between the two. By all means try it (you won't do any harm), but a proper pro line driver -

http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/spl-volume2-high-end-stereo-volume-controller--52866

- would be best inline I feel and this unit is designed specifically for the job you have in mind!

NRG
28-09-2012, 08:11
You might need a buffer as Dave points out. A 10ft run of low capacitance cable (56pf / ft) will give a -3 db 28Khz rolloff into a 10K ohm input...go to 16ft and its about 17Khz so expect a HF roll off and warm sound. If you are planning to put a variable attenuator on the input of the monitors then you have the problem of the frequency response varying with volume as volume position will affect the load and therefore the roll off point...

pointwharf
28-09-2012, 08:40
Thanks guys, these are the kind if issues I was afraid of. I am assuming a more conventional DAC with an active line stage will be more appropriate in this kind of configuration, shame.

BTW, how do you calculate the HF roll off, presumably you need to know the output impedance of the dac?

Perhaps combining pro and hi-fi products is not such a great idea. :(