PDA

View Full Version : Steven Wilson

Covenant
27-09-2012, 19:29
I enjoy a lot but not all of Porcupine Tree. What are his solo albums like and what should I start with?

Tim
27-09-2012, 19:36
I think the man is an absolute bloody genius Jerry and have seen him, PT and Blackfield plus own pretty much all his work, including his remasters, though yet to buy the ELP ones.

When you say you like PT, which era as their sound evolved around FOABP. Do you prefer the later metal/progressive sound or the earlier more psychedelic rock.
Let me know which albums you favour and I can perhaps make some suggestions?

Mika K
27-09-2012, 19:39
Try this recently released album that Steve Wilson has made in co-op with the Opeths Mikael Åkerfeldt. Really interesting album with slow and beautiful but at the same time bit weird mood. Here's the link http://stormcorrosion.com/

http://stormcorrosion.com/images/album_cover.jpg

Covenant
27-09-2012, 19:56
Being an old proggy fan, I guess it's the more psychedelic rock that I like Tim. ATM I keep playing Sentimental from Fear of a Blank Planet.
He manages to get great musicians around him.

Tim
27-09-2012, 22:53
If you like Sentimental then maybe try the first Blackfield album?
No-Man - Schoolyard Ghosts should appeal to an old proggy fan too.
I'm not sure Bass Communion would be your thing, his Insurgentes project I thought was very good. There's just so much, the guys a workaholic :scratch:
Are you familiar with the entire PT back catalogue or is it just his side projects you are after suggestions for?

If you ever get the chance to see him live too (in any guise), take it. As he's a committed musical perfectionist the standard of his shows is exceptional, as you have picked up he has very good musicians, the sound is always perfect and he is quite a character strutting around the stage bare-foot. You always get your moneys worth at an SW show :)
Quite a few celebs go too, last time I had Steve Hogarth sat right in front of me and two rows away was Steve Hackett - he's very highly regarding by the prog side of the business.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Y7XMDtltL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41P%2BKP-gswL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Start with Blackfield though I reckon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blackfield/dp/B002H3ZVJI/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348786213&sr=8-1-spell

http://open.spotify.com/album/4KOPYWtJmxjiX9kxTteJPp

Rare Bird
27-09-2012, 23:11
Wilsons worked out ELP & King Crimsons are awesome

daytona600
28-09-2012, 00:48
no man - becoming jesus think is the name

Covenant
28-09-2012, 07:30
Are you familiar with the entire PT back catalogue or is it just his side projects you are after suggestions for?

I own:
FOADP
Deadwing
In Absentia
Lightbulb Sun

Heard bits of other albums but will get any you suggest knowing my tastes.;)

Covenant
28-09-2012, 07:41
Good Lord-the man knows nearly as much about prog as Andre! :mental:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2InJpqo_bw&feature=player_embedded

Tim
28-09-2012, 12:18
TBH I think I prefer early Steven Wilson, more psychedelic than PT after Deadwing. Having said that I love everything they/he does and its interesting to watch him evolve. I think you should just delve back into everything, their 2 disc remasters are particularity good. I really like the first 3 albums and thanks to this thread have dusted them off :)

Spectral Morn
28-09-2012, 17:56
All of the No Man albums. I love No Man more than PT or B

Covenant
29-09-2012, 08:58
Thanks Neil, I spent much of last night listening to Schoolyard Ghosts (on You Tube) and it's top of my 'must have' list.

Tim
14-10-2012, 13:12
Just to let all the Steven Wilson fans out there know, he launched his new website yesterday afternoon at http://www.swhq.co.uk/

It fell over for awhile as it was inundated with hits, apparently more than Porcupine Tree ever received at one time! Seems to be fine now though.

There's a lot of good stuff there including some interesting (HD) session videos made during the recording of the new album. There are 3 UK tour dates up as well for the new year (March 2013), tickets on sale next Friday.

01/03/13 Manchester
02/03/13 Glasgow
04/03/13 London

eTiLoiyHDRI

Covenant
15-10-2012, 08:14
I fancy going to the Manchester event which is in the Students Union. Will they let old farts like me in? :(

Sonority
15-10-2012, 17:17
I'm in the exceedingly fortunate position to say that I will be going to the London gig, (all being well). Going to be a very busy few days, Aussie Floyd on Friday, Paul Carrack Sat, rest on Sunday (so far) and now S.Wilson on Monday.
2013 is taking shape nicely.

Tim
17-10-2012, 19:34
Will they let old farts like me in?
They better had as I think I fit in that bracket!

Got my tickets for the London gig on Monday, so I'm all sorted :)

Covenant
29-10-2012, 08:26
Probably my favourite PT track:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRjZ_3ZLL_I

MartinT
29-10-2012, 08:43
http://stormcorrosion.com/images/album_cover.jpg

That looks interesting as I like both Wilson and Opeth (in their non-screamy guise). Thanks.

MartinT
29-10-2012, 08:44
If you like Sentimental then maybe try the first Blackfield album?

Confirmed, the first Blackfield album is good.

Sonority
29-10-2012, 17:43
Here you go Martin - and while this is the official item, it is not, imo, anywhere near the best track on the album. It is one of those 'must haves' along with Grace For Drowning - which for me was the album of the year.

yZhP9Mtxo5c

MartinT
29-10-2012, 17:59
Thanks, Stephen. It sounds like Opeth on Prozac :lol:

Nice, I shall look it up.

Tim
29-10-2012, 18:32
You should enjoy Storm Corrosion Martin.

Ah, Half Light . . . wonderful, I feel a SW evening coming on now.

Can't wait to see his Festival Hall show in March :)

Sonority
29-10-2012, 19:21
You should enjoy Storm Corrosion Martin.

Ah, Half Light . . . wonderful, I feel a SW evening coming on now.

Can't wait to see his Festival Hall show in March :)

We may just bump into each other!

Sonority
29-10-2012, 19:27
Anyone else going to see Opeth with Anathema as support next month?
Should be different :-)
I'm down at the Portsmouth gig.

Tim
29-10-2012, 20:58
Anyone else going to see Opeth with Anathema as support next month?
Hoping to do Opeth at Portsmouth, but I have 13 gigs already in November, so I'm having to consider it carefully :scratch:

Covenant
02-11-2012, 10:32
Just heard some of the tracks from XM11 on YouTube. What a brilliant live album. Where can I get it on CD?

Floyddroid
06-11-2012, 22:43
Just bought Steve Wilson's new blue ray Get All You Deserve in which he plays music from his Grace For Drwning album. Totally brill, well worth sounding out if you have a BRP. I have to agree, he is a genius. I love his ethos too.

Tim
25-02-2013, 20:01
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ifOa%2BXZFL._AA160_.jpg

I really cannot get over how good The Raven album is, easily his best work IMO. I think he has found a set of circumstances that perfectly sits with where he wants to be musically. PT by the way it worked was restrictive to his talents I feel, whereas now he has hand picked a collection of some of the finest musicians who are working for him.

I very much doubt there will be an album to match it in 2013, so I am declaring it my album of the year :D

Did I mention I think he's a musical genius?

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/Tree_02_zpsd5614a2e.jpg

Steven Wilson's home studio.

John
25-02-2013, 20:18
I get my copy Tuesday

Rare Bird
25-02-2013, 20:41
Nice Hammond 'XK-2' there tim.

Sonority
26-02-2013, 12:07
I very much doubt there will be an album to match it in 2013, so I am declaring it my album of the year

Did I mention I think he's a musical genius?
x2 :)

Vinyl is stunning quality.
Drive Home & The Raven allow very easy access to truly beautiful music - while Watchmaker & Luminol offer the challenge of something rather different.

Did I mention this is a masterpiece :lol:

Mika K
27-02-2013, 16:11
The 2LP package arrived also to northern Finland.

I'm not declaring it to be the best of the year 2013 yet as there are some strong contenders but it's really good album by the first listen. Perhaps the best so far from SW, and cannot complain much for the sound quality either.. :)

Tim
27-02-2013, 17:16
Perhaps the best so far from SW, and cannot complain much for the sound quality either.. :)
I agree, I think its his best yet.

Thing Fish
27-02-2013, 19:16
Well after reading this thread, listening on utoob and reading a few reviews I pulled the trigger on The Raven double album at 18:45 this evening courtesy of Sister Ray in Berwick street £18.99.

I will have to wait until midday tomorrow when I will unfurl those bad boys and see what all the sonic progy fuss is about...:)

Tim
27-02-2013, 19:20
Well as you think Marillion are shite, you may not like it :D

Thing Fish
27-02-2013, 19:26
True iv'e never been a big Marillion fan but I suspect that was more to do with Mr Dick who I never liked.

That said from the 2 or 3 tracks i've heard from the raven online it does sound very good and it never hurts to broaden ones horizons...:D

Tim
27-02-2013, 20:09
That's a mistake often made by many - Derek Dick (Fish) left Marillion in 1988 and there have been 13 albums since then, all of which are very, very different to the 'Fish' era. I scratch my head in wonder at how little people know about Marillion, especially when they diss them and quote Fish as the reason....... he only made 4 albums and the current line-up (who have been together since 1989) have produced 13 albums :scratch: They are still recording, still touring and have been ranked 38th in the top 50 best live acts of all time (2008). Marillion ain't Fish and never really were, he is who he is and the band are who they are, but the two are very different, which is why they parted company. They have even had more hit singles in the UK top 40 (12) compared to the 'Fish era of 11 top 40 singles.

Top of the Pops and Kayleigh has got a lot to answer for . . . .

They are also some of the warmest, genuine and most affable human beings I have ever had the good fortune to meet - they most certainly are not a "band of twats" ;)

Thing Fish
27-02-2013, 20:16
Tim I guess the mid 80s were when I was watching top of the pops and they seemed to be on a lot at that time. to be honest I haven't heard of them much since? So Mr Dick must have up'd their profile during that time.

I'll check out there new stuff. Which album do you recomend I begin with?

Tim
27-02-2013, 21:00
Well Alex (UK) had a revelation recently with Marillion too. Marbles is very good and a great place to start, the most recent album Sounds That Can't Be Made is ranked highly amongst fans too. I like the striped back acoustic Less is More album very much. Brave is superb, based on a real event, which Hogarth likes, his lyrics have to mean something and he has written some very emotive and moving songs over the years - Estonia chokes me up live. Alex discovered them after hearing Out of this World from Afraid of Sunlight, which is about Donald Campbell. There is a lot about the Bluebird Project on YouTube and Steve Hogarth and Steve Rothery were invited to attend the raising, after his song inspired the family to do something about Donald and the Bluebird.

‘To sing at Donald Campbell’s funeral was one of my biggest gigs ever’ (http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/entertainment/2.1813/to-sing-at-donald-campbell-s-funeral-was-one-of-my-biggest-gigs-ever-1.676604?referrerPath=sport)

G2UGynGxhyg

http://open.spotify.com/track/1V3E7He2LBaOhsLca7EYQg

I was at this gig and it ranks very highly on my best shows of all time list - filmed on the Less is More tour.

lHGCi1Qm5Fg

Gaza - from the latest album and written by Hogarth about the plight of the people of Gaza, especially the children.

Z5VKmyDEF6U

Basically ignore anything with that 'dick' Fish - this is Marillion (http://www.marillion.com/)!

(if you don't like any of the above, then you really don't like Marillion ;))

John
28-02-2013, 05:47
Saw Marillion at the Marquee Never really been their biggest fan
Like the Raven has a mixture of prog and fusion influences The musicianship is of the highest quality and like the fact they have their own sound. It be a hard album to beat in 2013

Thing Fish
28-02-2013, 06:57
(if you don't like any of the above, then you really don't like Marillion ;))

Gave it my best shot Tim and although not as bad as I remembered i'ts still not for me i'm afraid...:)

isuckedmandelsonslemons
28-02-2013, 19:13
This album (CD) arrived this morning. Only listened to it once. I'd say sound quality is good but I've heard better (Wilson's remixes for starters) and musically it's a bit random and disjointed. But that's just a first impression. It could be a grower.
Returning to SQ, yes it's better than most but I was expecting a bit more TBH. Wilson's work on the Jethro Tull stuff and King Crimson is absolutely staggering.
I'll listen some more and see if it starts to gel.
I think fans of jazz influenced prog will love this album.

Thing Fish
28-02-2013, 19:33
I also listened to Steven Wilson's album today today and although I wouldn't vote it my album of the year it certainly is very good and I believe it will grow on me as time go's by.

It certainly ads a new and welcomed dimension to my record collection.:)

MartinT
11-03-2013, 19:18
Finally got my copy of The Raven... and have it playing now. As I've learned with Porcupine, all his albums take several plays to really ingrain into my consciousness, but this is doing rather well. Lots and lots of Genesis and Yes references :)

isuckedmandelsonslemons
11-03-2013, 19:20
SQ?

MartinT
11-03-2013, 19:23
It's complex and richly textured and doesn't sound ultra dynamic because of this. However, it's very cleanly recorded and mixed and I'm hearing a lot that I like - both musically and sonically.

Tim
12-03-2013, 12:55
Its rather good isn't it Martin, but as you say needs a proper listen - as with a lot of his work, a dark room and concentration add so much to the experience.
I can see though that it won't appeal to all and looking at the demographic of who attend his shows, I certainly fit the bill :wheniwasaboy:

Sonority
12-03-2013, 14:46
Pin Drop, Holy Drinker, Watchmaker are all not the easiest to access first time around, but boy, when they click..
Knowing the story behind them really does make for a great listen.
Seeing them live - oh my..

Tim, my white hair shows proudly on the pictures on his facebook page :)
PS - did your media book ever turn up? Such a shame if that didn't arrive for you.

Tim
12-03-2013, 15:07
Tim, my white hair shows proudly on the pictures on his facebook page :)
PS - did your media book ever turn up? Such a shame if that didn't arrive for you.
I can see myself too (just) in the centre of the front stalls :)

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/DSC5141_zps1025f202.jpg

Unfortunately I have indeed missed out on the full package, they really have all gone. I will buy the Bluray, but it was the bonus out-take tracks CD I was after TBH . . . gutted :(

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w63/greatgig/DSC5220_zpsd0df0d13.jpg

That was some night though, Guthrie Govan was exceptional, but lets face it, the whole band he has put together is exceptional.

Thing Fish
12-03-2013, 15:48
Just listened to 'The Raven' again through my new Spendors and it's much more involving ergo much more enjoyable...:)

I may be beginning to see something in this whole prog thingy...:lol:

Covenant
12-03-2013, 16:35
I wish he'd stop farting about with Porcupine & get some more Propar Prog albums remastured, he did a great job on the two ELP albums... :lol:

Farting about.....:doh:

MartinT
12-03-2013, 17:02
I laughed, Andr'e.

You should have a listen, though. You never know, you may like it.

Rare Bird
12-03-2013, 17:03
You can't have a joke on here Martin, glad you found it funny anyway..

Covenant
12-03-2013, 17:07
I was joking as well but it would be nice if you liked something that wasn't three decades old!

Rare Bird
12-03-2013, 17:20
Fowar decades ;) but there's one easy answer to that :eyebrows:

khapahk
12-03-2013, 19:46
I wasn't sure about this one but, after a few listens, I'm really beginning to like "The Raven....". SW does it again for me.

Nick Beggs has done some great bass/Stick work on this album. He's also done a cracking job on the recently released LIfesigns album as well.

isuckedmandelsonslemons
12-03-2013, 20:03
I was joking as well but it would be nice if you liked something that wasn't three decades old!

A prog time warp. So much good music out there but it's falling on deaf ears.

Thing Fish
12-03-2013, 20:14
Doesn't Prog stand for Progressive?

It all sounds the same to me...:lol:

Rare Bird
12-03-2013, 23:35
Doesn't Prog stand for Progressive?

Of course it does but how can something progress further than it's existance of around 4 years :eyebrows:

The Grand Wazoo
13-03-2013, 00:01
As some wise men once said:

- "SILENCE, you fools! Don't you believe in PROGRESS"?

~ "Take that progress and stick it under a ROCK".

- "We must overthrow the diatonic system".

http://open.spotify.com/track/7G3tcagG9u6cBvJuCNshds

Thing Fish
13-03-2013, 00:03
Of course it does but how can something progress further than it's existance of around 4 years :eyebrows:

Is it not still going? Is the new Steven Wilson album not (new) prog rock?...:scratch:

MartinT
13-03-2013, 00:04
To me, Prog is timeless as it's a musical style. To Andr'e, it exists only within a fixed timeframe.

Rare Bird
13-03-2013, 00:22
which is 1969-1973, scraping the barrel at that :D My entire collection is made from albums 1967-1973 with exceprtion of about three.

Thing Fish
13-03-2013, 00:36
To me, Prog is timeless as it's a musical style. To Andr'e, it exists only within a fixed timeframe.

Now I get it...:eek:

So I can assume that 1969-1973 were the prog golden years...? To Andre at least...:eyebrows:

Floyddroid
13-03-2013, 20:44
I enjoy a lot but not all of Porcupine Tree. What are his solo albums like and what should I start with?
Have a look at my review for Progmeister. the new SW album is a good place to start.

http://progmeister.com/steven-wilson-the-raven-that-refused-to-sing-and-other-stories

:)

Sonority
25-03-2013, 19:46
So we get another few chances to experience this live - pre sale tomorrow :)

Roll on October..

Bazil
27-03-2013, 11:00
which is 1969-1973, scraping the barrel at that :D My entire collection is made from albums 1967-1973 with exceprtion of about three.

Floyd/Waters ? Marillion ?

RichB
27-03-2013, 11:57
Got my tickets for the Newcastle shows today.... Happy days!

DanJennings
06-04-2013, 10:47

Floyd/Waters ? Marillion ?

Come on Andre, spill the beans!

I know one of them has to be Warrior On The Edge Of Time, do I remember you mentioning ages ago that you had a soft spot for Bjork?

Rare Bird
06-04-2013, 11:33
You mean albums post '73? Sorry three turned to Four/five!

Hawkwind 'Hall Of The Mountain Grill', 'Warrior On The Edge Of Time'
Gong 'You'
Steve Hillage 'Fish Rising'
Premiata Forneria Marconi 'The World Became the World'/'L'isola di niente'

Bjork just facinated me thats all..

daytona600
06-04-2013, 13:34
I thought prog was killed of by punk in 76 , is steve wilson new wave prog !

Rare Bird
06-04-2013, 13:54
No prog was a gonna well before.. The existing bands were changing their musical styles.