PDA

View Full Version : Hey.

pointwharf
27-09-2012, 19:03
I'm Dave, spend most of my working life in the (rock) music business before becoming a hi-fi dealer for a few years.

Mostly I live overseas, I have a house in Andalucia, but am 'stuck' in west London for a few years.

Music wise I mostly listen to 'popular' music from the last 50 years, from classic Miles, Mingus and Coleman to the modern delights of Muse and The XX.

Very wide ranging but I don't do disco or anything that falls under the broad groupings of Hip hop, rap or R n' B.

Marco
28-09-2012, 09:54
Hi Dave,

Welcome to AoS! What system have you got, and what was your old dealership called? :)

Marco.

John
28-09-2012, 09:59
Welcome Dave
Wearabouts in West London we have a few people in the West London area

MartinT
28-09-2012, 10:40
Hello Dave and welcome to AoS. I'll bet you have a few stories to tell about the rock business.

When you're ready :popcorn:

Spectral Morn
28-09-2012, 10:52
Welcome to AOS

Tim
28-09-2012, 11:05
Hi Dave and a warm welcome to AoS

We share similar tastes, I also have a wide range but
disco or anything that falls under the broad groupings of Hip hop, rap or R n' B. :nono:

Have fun here, not a bad bunch.

Alex_UK
29-09-2012, 19:46
Hi Dave, welcome to AoS from me too - hope you enjoy the forum. :)

pointwharf
03-10-2012, 22:42
Thanks everyone.

My last 'real' system was sold about 12-13 years ago, purely vinyl it comprised of SME 20a, Red signature, ARC electronics and Martin Logan CLSIIz speakers. I also had a pair of sub woofers but they were hardly ever used.

I owned and ran a fairly well known hi fi emporium for most of the nineties, name withheld to protect the guilty.....:)

Rock and roll stories abound but I have just watched Fridays 'Later with Jules Holland' (on PVR) and I once spent an evening with one of the performers, drinking beer and talking motor cycles in the Bunch of Grapes in Brompton Road Knightsbridge. He was 'going out' with my Kiwi flatmate's older sister.

Suggestions on a postcard........

trio leo
05-10-2012, 20:28
Welcome Dave,
Many here including myself are still spinning the vinyl, you'll find a lot of helpful people on this forum that don't mind you having an opinion.
It's all about us sharing our experiences with HiFi and music, hope you enjoy it.

kind regards Al

pointwharf
05-10-2012, 21:48
Thanks trio leo, but I am afraid I sold all the vinyl about the same time.

I have largely given up on 'real' hi fi, it is now so expensive that I simply can not afford it, my old £20k system is entry level by modern standards.

I am ripping my CD collection to FLAC and plan to use a Sonos system, all controlled from an iPad.

I am one of those people who finds it hard to listen to the same material over and over again, hearing the same music played in exactly the same way drives me potty.

I have been using Spotify a lot recently, probably not great quality wise but the ability to find and play new things virtually every day really works for me.

Just sifting through 'Dick's Picks' keeps me amused for hours, sometimes days at a time.....:)

The Grand Wazoo
05-10-2012, 22:56
Hi Dave,
Welcome to The Art of Sound from me too.
'Dick's Picks' is fantastic isn't it?

Tim
05-10-2012, 22:59
Dick's Picks?

The Grand Wazoo
05-10-2012, 23:05
From 'The Grateful Dead Family Discography' (http://www.deaddisc.com/GDFD_Dicks_Picks.htm)

Dick's Picks was a series of 36 volumes of live Grateful Dead music from the vault.

Generally each volume contains a complete Grateful Dead show (or shows), the majority of a Grateful Dead show (or shows), or a selection of music from a series of consecutive shows.

The releases were sourced from two track master tapes housed in the Grateful Dead vault. Modern mixing methods were not possible and glitches and omissions in the original tapes were carried over onto the released CDs. For this reason Dick's Picks were distributed by Grateful Dead Merchandising and not initially through normal retail outlets.

Dick's Picks Vol. 1 was released in 1993. Band member vetoes delayed the selection and release of a second volume until 1995. Volume 3 followed nearly a year later. From 1997 onward 3 or 4 volumes were released each year.

It appears that DP 36, released in June 2005, was the last release in the Dick's Picks series.

Dick's Picks were named for and were initially organised by Dick Latvala, the custodian of the Grateful Dead tape vault until his death in 1999. From 2000 onwards the vault and the Dick's Picks series was overseen by David Lemieux but the original series name was retained.

Tim
05-10-2012, 23:08
Fantastic Chris and what a great reply, many thanks. Looks like I have a busy weekend ahead ;)

The Grand Wazoo
05-10-2012, 23:10
Dave,
Did you download the '30 Days of Dead' (http://www.dead.net/30daysofdead) series from dead.net?

EDIT: You too, Tim! (This one's free!)

Tim
05-10-2012, 23:24
Thanks Chris, will do

The Grand Wazoo
05-10-2012, 23:35
It's 6 full albums worth at 320Kbps

MartinT
06-10-2012, 10:27
Unfortunately the 'download all tracks' linky appears broken. I'll download a couple of individual tracks and have a listen.

pointwharf
06-10-2012, 13:12
Dave,
Did you download the '30 Days of Dead' (http://www.dead.net/30daysofdead) series from dead.net?

EDIT: You too, Tim! (This one's free!)

I've seen this before but I'm still working my way through 'Dicks Picks'.....:)

Just to prove that I am not just an old hippy, I have been enjoying the new offerings from Muse (Mrs PW's favourite band) and The xx.

I'm also a bit of a reggae fan, love dub and I am currently tinkering around the edges of dubstep, bands like Liquid Stranger and Shpongle....:scratch:

Any recommendations would be welcome, something that stays close to the spirit of 'proper' dub to get me started.....

The Grand Wazoo
06-10-2012, 15:22
Any recommendations would be welcome, something that stays close to the spirit of 'proper' dub to get me started.....

Start a thread here (http://theartofsound.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12) - we love 'How to Buy....' type threads

Beechwoods
06-10-2012, 21:11
Check the Revolutionary Dub Warriors for a starting point :)

jHyr1uiu0Rk

Dub and reggae is a very broad church; you will find what you like if you look around.

The Bristol Archive record label is doing a fab job of finding and re-releasing early Bristol-based Reggae (remember the St. Pauls carnival came out of the Black / Reggae scene here).

spotify:album:0Tx7h88VbxYEwVykFNoyMQ
spotify:album:73N8rNvGFcytfmCzFr46Js
spotify:album:2Shv8NYqUhMtV90h5v7nMc

pointwharf
06-10-2012, 21:30
Interesting.

I can recall, back around 1980, ending up in a club in St Pauls after a Joe Jackson gig at the Colston (sp?) Hall.

Joe loved his reggae and had a Jamaican girlfriend at the time, good night as I (can barely) recall.