PDA

View Full Version : WHF Lose The Plot

MCRU
25-09-2012, 11:30
Apparently WTF have just reviewed an interconnect cable that was dis-continued 2 years ago. :lol:

Mr Kipling
25-09-2012, 13:30
Well, that's Royal Mail for ya.

Marco
25-09-2012, 13:47
Does anyone discerning care a jot about what's written in that arse-wipe of a rag?

:no:

Marco.

isuckedmandelsonslemons
25-09-2012, 14:17
WTF? I know what it usually means but . . .

MCRU
25-09-2012, 14:20
What HiFi

isuckedmandelsonslemons
25-09-2012, 14:25
Ah. So I was right with What The Fuck?

Marco
25-09-2012, 14:26
Yeah, as in WTF is it of use for!! :D

I believe that it's quite good for causing skidmarks though, if you use the pages as a botty wipe.

Marco.

hifi_dave
25-09-2012, 14:44
We've had similar discussions before and IMO the Financial Times is the best for wiping, without smearing. The print is also good from the transference to your nether end point of view.

WTF and most other Hi-Fi periodicals are far too stiff and shiny for a happy outcome.

MCRU
25-09-2012, 14:48
We've had similar discussions before and IMO the Financial Times is the best for wiping, without smearing. The print is also good from the transference to your nether end point of view.

WTF and most other Hi-Fi periodicals are far too stiff and shiny for a happy outcome.

Quite right and 100% correct, it is however very good as a sick bag when folded correctly as the pages don't get soaked too quickly which would allow the contents to soak and thus not leak out, the stiffer pages allow one to get the contents into a bin without spillage. :lol:

hifi_dave
25-09-2012, 15:49
Never thought of that one.

Do you fold it like a wrap with the bottom folded over or as a straightforward cone ? I'd hate to get sick on my velour..:spew:

prestonchipfryer
25-09-2012, 15:51
Yeah, but with the shiny art paper, you can get a good scrape going!

MartinT
25-09-2012, 16:17
Yeah, as in WTF is it of use for!!

No. 2s (and I don't refer to one of David's cables). :lol:

Tim
25-09-2012, 22:35
Did somebody say happy ending :carrot:

MartinT
26-09-2012, 06:33
Umm, is that No. 3s?

Mr Kipling
26-09-2012, 07:15
Why is everyone so dissparaging? Obviously there's still a market for it otherwise it wouldn't exist.

MartinT
26-09-2012, 08:22
Why is everyone so dissparaging? Obviously there's still a market for it otherwise it wouldn't exist.

Maybe it's something to do with us being audio/music enthusiasts? What Hi-Fi is a lowest common denominator so-called 'hi-fi' magazine that does not represent our interests. It panders to readers who want quick-and-dirty star ratings and who think that assembling high rating components will result in an excellent matching system. We know better than that. Their reviews have no depth, they appear to harbour favourite brands who always do well and sometimes it is hard to match their comments with the products that we know well.

It may have a big circulation, but then so does The Sun. That doesn't mean we can't be critical of them.

Marco
26-09-2012, 08:57
Umm, is that No. 3s?

Yes, it's commonly known as a 'golden shower'.

Marco.

RichB
26-09-2012, 09:56
I don't know how effective that rag would be if caught short, I have however once resorted to removing a sock when in a spot of bother in a foreign land where the facilities were distinctly alien. Think hole in the ground, rag on a stick and you're getting close.:lol:

brian2957
26-09-2012, 10:10
Did you put the sock back on when you were finished Richard:lol: Sorry just curious :mental:

Sonority
26-09-2012, 10:31
Signature tune?
WcK4n-DqlQI

chelsea
26-09-2012, 10:35
Bet 99% of people into hi fi used to buy it when they first started out though.
Know i did in the late 70s/early 80s.

MartinT
26-09-2012, 10:39
Sure, why should they take anyone else's word for it? It's a learning experience, and you rapidly reach the conclusion that it does not educate/entertain/inform about high fidelity as claimed in its title.

Martinh
26-09-2012, 10:55
Crap it may be, but I always link to the WTF review when selling HiFi on ebay.

Mention a 5 star WHF review in the description and it's sold.

cheers,

RichB
26-09-2012, 11:46
Did you put the sock back on when you were finished Richard:lol: Sorry just curious :mental:

No the sock stayed there, as a lasting reminder of our once great empire: The ode to the sock could be something like this (with apologies to Rupert Brooke)

If I should die, think only this of me:
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is forever England. There shall be
In that rich earth a richer dust concealed;
A dust whom England bore, shaped, made aware,
Gave, once, her flowers to love, her ways to roam;
A body of England's, breathing English air,
Washed by the rivers, blest by suns of home.
And think, this heart, all evil shed away,
A pulse in the eternal mind, no less
Gives somewhere back the thoughts by England given;
Her sights and sounds; dreams happy as her day;
And laughter, learnt of friends; and gentleness,
In hearts at peace, under an English heaven.

Puffin
26-09-2012, 13:50
WHF actually got me on the road to what I suppose was hifi. My first (and probably only) buy on their recommendation was the Mission 760i speakers.

Marco
26-09-2012, 13:56
Crap it may be, but I always link to the WTF review when selling HiFi on ebay.

Mention a 5 star WHF review in the description and it's sold.

Sure, but don't you think in some ways that's rather sad? It just shows that most people are unwilling and/or incapable of thinking for themselves! :rolleyes:

Marco.

Martinh
26-09-2012, 14:08
Sure, but don't you think in some ways that's rather sad? It just shows that most people are unwilling and/or incapable of thinking for themselves! :rolleyes:

Marco.

Yep.

chelsea
26-09-2012, 14:17
A lot of of people don't have the time or will to get home demos,shops that stock exactly what they want.

That's where mags for hi fi,cars etc are a good guide.

Marco
26-09-2012, 14:26
So you just let other people make your decisions for you? That's pure sheep mentality. What kind of way is that to live your life?

I don't buy the lack of time thing, either - If you want something badly enough, then you'll make time to do it!

Marco.

chelsea
26-09-2012, 14:32
Not everyone has a hi fi shop on there doorstep.

Forums are the same as mags.
They are just guides and no more.

bobbasrah
26-09-2012, 15:09
Not everyone has a hi fi shop on there doorstep.

Forums are the same as mags.
They are just guides and no more.

+100%

I remember such magazines as a source of information which was otherwise unobtainable in my youth living out in the countryside. There was also nobody else within miles with the same interest.
I spent many happy hours at the library in the nearest town (W.H.Smith magazine stand) in my youth and learned a lot.
I guess that despite declining numbers of publications, many others are on a similar journey today, augmented by Internet review.opinion/comment.

Decisions made by others? No. :mental:
Informed? Yes. ;)
This forum is no different as a source of information.

Marco
26-09-2012, 17:12
And just like using information on a forum solely as a means of choosing equipment or building a system, is bonkers, so it is to do the same with a magazine.

I used to work in a major hi-fi dealership in Glasgow, during the early 90s, and people would walk in, clutching a copy of 'WTF', and simply ask for whatever kit had won a five-star award - and not just individual components, but whole systems, they'd never even heard for themselves! :mental:

As we sold the kit in question, and got ample opportunity to listen to it all at length, we knew what was genuinely good and what wasn't, so despite customers wanting to buy all the 'award winners', we would advise them to listen to alternatives, some even cheaper than the kit was that featured on their 'wants list', as we wanted to try and give them the biggest 'bang for their buck'.

How many do you think took up our offer? Almost no-one. They insisted on buying the kit WTF had awarded five stars!! Were they happy with their purchase, long term?? No, because weeks later you'd see the same folk in the shop again, 'upgrading' to whatever else they'd been brainwashed to like :doh: And so it went on - great business for the shop, and also amusement for us, but sad that some people just don't seem able to trust their own ears and judgement!!

I will never understand that mentality :rolleyes:

Marco.

MartinT
26-09-2012, 17:24
I remember such magazines as a source of information which was otherwise unobtainable in my youth living out in the countryside.

I agree with you, Bob. It was for me too. But not What Hi-Fi. It's a little like using Which? magazine for buying a car. You may find that one car has 1/2" greater lumbar support or another has the washer bottle in a handy place. What you won't read about is which car is the most exciting to drive. That doesn't even register in their consciousness.

I remember with fondness such magazines as Hi-Fi Answers, Popular Hi-Fi, Audiophile, Hi-Fi News, Stereophile, Absolute Sounds, Gramophone. They put the music first and tried to give some idea of synergy when reviewing components.

hifi_dave
26-09-2012, 18:27
Same with us in the 80's and 90's. A new issue of WTF would appear and the phone didn't stop ringing with people wanting to hear the latest rave product. Difference with us was that we rarely stocked the dross endorsed by the mags but we did our best to demonstrate the folly of relying on WTF reviews.

The power of the mags usually won out over sense and customer's hearing but we often had the last laugh when we had customers through the door seeking advice and ways to make their 'rave' system sound palateable. Unfortunately, it was usually too late and their money was wasted. Probably what put many people off buying Hi-Fi... :scratch:

And just like using information on a forum solely as a means of choosing equipment or building a system, is bonkers, so it is to do the same with a magazine.

I used to work in a major hi-fi dealership in Glasgow, during the early 90s, and people would walk in, clutching a copy of 'WTF', and simply ask for whatever kit had won a five-star award - and not just individual components, but whole systems, they'd never even heard for themselves! :mental:

As we sold the kit in question, and got ample opportunity to listen to it all at length, we knew what was genuinely good and what wasn't, so despite customers wanting to buy all the 'award winners', we would advise them to listen to alternatives, some even cheaper than the kit was that they had on their 'wants list', as we wanted to try and give them the biggest 'bang for their buck'.

How many do you think took up our offer? Almost no-one. They insisted on buying the kit WTF had awarded five stars!! Were they happy with their purchase, long term?? No, because weeks later you'd see the same folk in the shop again 'upgrading' to whatever else they'd been brainwashed to like :doh: And so it went on - great business for the shop, and also amusement for us, but sad that some people just don't seem able to trust their own ears and judgement!!

I will never understand that mentality :rolleyes:

Marco.

Yomanze
26-09-2012, 19:38
Does anyone discerning care a jot about what's written in that arse-wipe of a rag?

:no:

Marco.

For some reason they're the only mag or publication I can see to give Amphion speakers a poor review (Ion and Helium), but as I see it they've reviewed 2 or 3 in total. Meanwhile Alan Sircom at HiFi+ and Soundstage review the Argon3 as one of the best standmounts they've heard. Lots of advertising in What HiFi too.

DSJR
26-09-2012, 21:35
I thought WTF was a TV mag now......

The Grand Wazoo
26-09-2012, 21:43
No, they allow people who don't cross-dress to buy it too!

Spectral Morn
26-09-2012, 21:45
For some reason they're the only mag or publication I can see to give Amphion speakers a poor review (Ion and Helium), but as I see it they've reviewed 2 or 3 in total. Meanwhile Alan Sircom at HiFi+ and Soundstage review the Argon3 as one of the best standmounts they've heard. Lots of advertising in What HiFi too.

Their overdamped demo room kills much good hifi. Bright and forward does well neutral and stuff just to the warmer side dies a death. Its pretty easy to see what will do well and what won't :doh: Amphion speakers are nice.

synsei
26-09-2012, 21:48
If used properly HiFi mags have their place. The astute punter should employ various methods to hunt down the right component, HiFi publications being one of those elements. They should be treated as a rough guide only as everyone's ears are different and the environment within which the items are tested will likely bear little resemblance to your listening room. It should also be noted that there is no guaranty that a component that sounds terrific in one system will sound as good in yours. Trust your ears... :cool:

MartinT
27-09-2012, 06:09
That's what I've been saying for years, Dave. Magazines can help you to shortlist, no more than that.

The Grand Wazoo
27-09-2012, 06:28
But the difference between magazines & a forum is that, here you stand a chance of getting the views of a person (or sometimes, many people) who has invested a proper amount of time with a product in the real world and whose apparent views can't be influenced by an editor or his policy.

MartinT
27-09-2012, 06:41
And in many cases, if you ask nicely and you're close enough, you could even get to hear that kit in the context of a well assembled system.

The Grand Wazoo
27-09-2012, 06:52
Presactly!

prestonchipfryer
27-09-2012, 07:25
WTF is, primarily, about advertising revenue and mostly audio-visual entertainment. Most of their column inches are no more than a few paragraphs and certainly not any in-depth coverage.

Do they actually listen to all the equipment they review? Or just look at who the manufacturer is and then 'award' star ratings - the results based on equipment that will sell well (i.e.: budget to mid gear?) Then reap the rewards from companies taking full-page adverts?

icehockeyboy
29-09-2012, 15:19
WTF is, primarily, about advertising revenue and mostly audio-visual entertainment. Most of their column inches are no more than a few paragraphs and certainly not any in-depth coverage.

Do they actually listen to all the equipment they review? Or just look at who the manufacturer is and then 'award' star ratings - the results based on equipment that will sell well (i.e.: budget to mid gear?) Then reap the rewards from companies taking full-page adverts?

As long as the kit is marked Cyrus, or Monitor Audio, then it automatically gets 5 stars.:eyebrows:

isuckedmandelsonslemons
29-09-2012, 17:16
As long as the kit is marked Cyrus, or Monitor Audio, then it automatically gets 5 stars.:eyebrows:

Interestingly, I was put off Cyrus kit for many years because of this. I thought it was all hype/fashion/trend. Then I considered that maybe it was ACTUALLY VERY GOOD. Some time later I got the chance to listen to a Cyrus CD 8 player and was quite shocked at how much better it sounded than my Yamaha CDS2000. I now have an all Cyrus System and couldn't be happier. Just need to get my grubby hands on a pair of Usher BE10s and ill be in heaven.

I do agree though that certain brands are in vogue with certain mags. Years ago it was Naim and Linn that totally dominated IIRC.

MartinT
29-09-2012, 21:03
Just need to get my grubby hands on a pair of Usher BE10s and ill be in heaven.

Great choice which I doubt you'd regret ;)

isuckedmandelsonslemons
30-09-2012, 06:07
Great choice which I doubt you'd regret ;)

I would, of course, prefer the BE20s. If only.

MCRU
30-09-2012, 09:03
But the difference between magazines & a forum is that, here you stand a chance of getting the views of a person (or sometimes, many people) who has invested a proper amount of time with a product in the real world and whose apparent views can't be influenced by an editor or his policy.

Yes but they can be influenced by many other factors. Forums are the same as mags in that the review is done by a person who may or may not have his/her own agenda.

Rare Bird
30-09-2012, 10:23
All i used em for were basically scud mags. but only OAP editions :eyebrows:

Spectral Morn
30-09-2012, 10:32

The reason for this is that bright, forward sounding kit sounds better in their overly damped acoustically dead review listening room. Any kit more neutral or which sits to the warmer side of things sounds poor in this listening room. Of course some kit does get reviewed elsewhere but much of it is auditioned in this room.

It is quite easy to predict what will do well and what won't knowing this small piece of info.

Marco
30-09-2012, 11:38
All i used em for were basically scud mags...

I guess that no-one will be buying any of your collection then, as all the pages will be stuck together! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Rare Bird
30-09-2012, 12:03
I dunno some people have really dirty imaginations :rfl:

Dominic Harper
30-09-2012, 12:47
Ah. So I was right with What The Fuck?

I asked Dom the same question what is WTF, he started to laugh at me. :lol::lol: Well I think great minds think alike.

Natalie;)

PLINIUS
30-09-2012, 22:54
The reason for this is that bright, forward sounding kit sounds better in their overly damped acoustically dead review listening room. Any kit more neutral or which sits to the warmer side of things sounds poor in this listening room. Of course some kit does get reviewed elsewhere but much of it is auditioned in this room.

It is quite easy to predict what will do well and what won't knowing this small piece of info.
Thanks Neil, a very useful insight that does explain one aspect.
WTF is not the only culprit here though.

realysm42
03-10-2012, 09:16
Everyone seems to say this about their listening room, have they never commented back about this?

Andrei
20-10-2012, 05:02
Did somebody say happy ending :carrot:

The last time I was in Shanghai I went for neck and shoulder massage; you guessed it - I was offered a 'happy ending'.:stalks:

hifinutt
21-10-2012, 16:17
its a great mag to introduce people to decent equipment , was in the tyre fitters yesterday and there was a free copy there

chelsea
21-10-2012, 16:21
Yes,guessing most people cut there teeth on it when we started out.
I for one am glad it's still going.

With the demise of all the hi fi shops at least it gives people just starting out some ideas.

Marco
21-10-2012, 16:29
The last time I was in Shanghai I went for neck and shoulder massage; you guessed it - I was offered a 'happy ending'.:stalks:

Did you take her up on it? ;)

Next time go for the 'two for one' deal which includes a golden shower! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Effem
22-10-2012, 11:46
I don't know why WTF is held in such a low opinion when it is the perfect thickness to cure a wobbly dining table or a rocky fridge :rolleyes:

StanleyB
22-10-2012, 13:00
Yes you were indeed in Shanghai :D.

Marco
22-10-2012, 17:27
I don't know why WTF is held in such a low opinion when it is the perfect thickness to cure a wobbly dining table or a rocky fridge :rolleyes:

Indeed, and when rolled up and used as a 'cosh', just fat enough to give her a thick ear for forgetting to put the beers in the fridge.

Marco.

realysm42
22-10-2012, 18:17
They might be stupid/biased/whatever, but they were my first port of call into audio and I'm extremely happy with what I've got.

Not to say it can't be improved of course :eyebrows:

MCRU
22-10-2012, 21:32
Indeed, and when rolled up and used as a 'cosh', just fat enough to give her a thick ear for forgetting to put the beers in the fridge.

Marco.

Beers, red wine for me, beer gives me gas....:lol:

Marco
22-10-2012, 21:52
Beers, red wine for me, beer gives me gas....:lol:

Noted, farty botty! ;)

Marco.

Andrei
30-10-2012, 05:08
Did you take her up on it? ;)
Next time go for the 'two for one' deal which includes a golden shower!
Marco.

I came to the conclusion that the word 'um' means 'Go for it' or 'What are you waiting for?' in Mandarin.
"They were very persuasive, Your Honour!":spank: